Prince of Persia - Breathing New Life!

Hi all,

We’ve just published our coverage of the new Prince of Persia - Sands of Time game on CGNetworks:

“Few game franchises have lasted as long as Prince of Persia , first released in 1989. Prince of Persia went 3D in the 1990s and in late 2003, ‘Prince of Persia : Sands of Time’ took the game to a new level of detail and immersion. Raphael Lacoste, the art director for ‘Prince of Persia : Sands of Time’ takes us through the process of breathing new life into an established franchise.”

>> Read the Article <<

Great article man.

and the game I have to say is SUPERB.
it has such a great playabillity, and the environments are so rich.

I really enjoyed this one. Really captured the fun of the 1st PoP back when as well.

Easily one of the most entertaining games lately. The extraordinary use of game space really plays a large part in the overall appeal to the game.

Level design was top notch and seemed to be fully planned out. All and all, tthis game rocks and the added story line was definately a bonus.

:beer:

Beyond the fact that the game is obviously stunning, I think that the real advantage of this game, that puts it far beyond all others, is the ZERO frustration factor. We all own at lest one game that we have held onto for years and never finished, no matter how beautiful the grafics are, why? Because at one point or another we hit that “f*ck this game!!!” wall that makes us move on. With POP that wall is non existent, and that to me is far greater an achievment then any grafic one.

xfedx,

You nailed it man. I got a couple of those on my shelf too. Like “The Getaway” I keep getting lost in london with the police half a minute off my ass. POP is beautiful. I spend a good deal of time just staring at the environments from different angles to take it all in. ICO was good but POP takes it so much further.

yeah - Im really impressed by the graphics and possible number of movements, I think SoT has set a new standard… and it’s made by canadians :smiley: … !

The Greatest game series i have ever played .

Superb work.!!!:bounce:

Made by Canadians Aey, WOW. I thought i was all alone out here

Originally posted by xfedx
Beyond the fact that the game is obviously stunning, I think that the real advantage of this game, that puts it far beyond all others, is the ZERO frustration factor
Heh. Haven’t played the PC version yet have you ?

Try bouncing from wall to wall when you have to press the “A” or “D” key while at the same time pressing the right mouse button and then hit the space bar, release the space bar, release right mouse button, click right mouse button, hit “A” or “D” key and hit space bar again.

Wow. You just made 2 wall jumps. Now try and do this 3 or 4 times in about 2 seconds. Talk about frustration factor.

OR how about the fact that Geforce 4 MX cards will not work with this game. That’s another frustration factor all together.

[Edit] Visually stunning game though. Almost makes 3D accelerated games look as good as sprite based games, and that has been a looong time coming.

I think that this game is graphically very beautiful and is amusing, but (for direct experience) I have to do some criticisms:
it is impossible to play it with the keyboard of the pc because it is difficult to assign the commands in suitable way, it is better to have a joypad or a mouse with 5 buttons;
the fights are very beautiful and you have the possibility to make the combo, but if by chance you are in an angle or you have neighbor a column the movement of the camera it makes you go out;
but the thing that I hate more than everybody is that cannot save when you want and if you are wrong and you die you have to take back from the beginning…
Nevertheless it is amusing to see to walk him on the walls and to make spectacular jumps… you also have the possibility to slow down the scene type the focus of Matrix…

Brilliant game and aside from Ico, one of the most peaceful/beautiful playing experiences I’ve ever had…

I would recommend everyone go to www.princeofpersiagame.com as there are some interesting ‘making of’ video clips.

:smiley:

Originally posted by niki
if you are wrong and you die you have to take back from the beginning…

You kind of missed out on the whole ‘reversing time’ part of the game didn’t you.

:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

…Hey Steve Fox…made by Canadians…and made in Montreal too!!!..Wouhou!!!..It’s nice to have great Games studios in the city!!!..Ubisoft…and EA comming soon…and all the others…POP is really a nice game!..and the Reverse Time is really kool!!!..and removes some frustrations!!!

Just an FYI, for those that are interested in this game, UbiSoft is offering this game, reg. price, with Splinter Cell free for the 3 major consoles. It’s weird, for as good of scores as this game received across the board of all major reviewers, this game didn’t sell very well on any of the systems.

I thought the graphics of this game were outstanding. I love the soft, sun baked style. I plan on picking it up for my GameCube before this deal ends.

Was that first POP on the mac or on a apple IIe? I can´t remember but I guess it was for the mac when it was released. Now that it is 3D I may should have a look at it…hardly can come up with any pictures from the original one. Everytime I try to catch a frame it´s that damn little man from Load Runner that´s running over the screen and making this beep sound when burning holes in the ground : )
that was fun…

regards

I just finished the game last week on xbox, loved it, thought the gameplay and graphics were fantastic.

“Few game franchises have lasted as long as Prince of Persia , first released in 1989. Prince of Persia went 3D in the 1990s and in late 2003, ‘Prince of Persia : Sands of Time’ took the game to a new level of detail and immersion. Raphael Lacoste”

Contra (88), Mario, Zelda, ExciteBike, Metroid (84ish)…etc. I don’t think PoP bragging point is that the series has been around for a long time, as many games have. Just wanted to suggest this incase other people reading this thread think that because it’s 1989 birth automatically makes this a hit.

The game is very polished and creative as all hell ! , but i was frustrated with the fighting in the game. It all revolves around big fights that you’re forced into. I prefer the style of fighting enemies throughout a level/mission, and not having them all be super powered. It leads to better build up when you finally reach a big enemy and keeps you entertained throughout.
It’s really cheap too when they spawn in front of you and you fall against a wall, then get automatically pinned.

Thats a nice article on a very good game. I enjoyed every minute of playing it. I would like to have seen more behind the scenes stuff.

Great article - I’m dying to play the game, but just haven’t had the time.

Been a Prince player since I was a kid - I still have the original version somewhere, and played the whole thing again about a year or so ago, and it’s still a fantastic game.

Sands of Time looks absolutely spectacular! I have a holiday coming up and I know what I’ll be doing… :smiley:

Yeah this is a fun game. I am with Neil on the fight parts though , fighting also gets very repetitive and lame really quick. What makes this game fun is the platform puzzles.