Poster Drawings By 11th Door

Hi Rebecca (and everyone,)

Rebecca, you had asked when I had the time, to post a tutorial or two on what I learned from Steve and Vern at ACCD. I will get to that when time is more generous to me.

In the mean time, I thought I would put up these poster drawings I did several years back when I taught a few small drawing classes.

The posters are all done on 2 X 3 foot newsprint paper (Rebecca, remember the paper Steve and Burne used for the in-class demos, this is the same stuff.) The Anatomy Posters were done in January of 2002 and each one took me between 4-6 hours to complete. The black and white Head Detail Posters were done in December of 2000 and only took a few hours each to do. So all of these are fairly old now.

All of the drawings were done using a set of NuPastels that I have. I took these little snapshots of the posters before I had them laminated (so I could hang them in the classroom.)

My main influences in these works are illustrators like J.C. Leyendecker, Dean Cornwell, Frank Brangwyn, as well as teachers like George Bridgeman, Steve Huston, Vern Wilson, Dallas Good and Burne Hogarth. My focus was on simplified structure in all of the drawings. The silly candy color of the Anatomy posters was done to show greater separation of muscles and to throw some color into the room. The Truncation in the Anatomy posters is for the purpose of cross section analysis.

Thanks for letting me post these, Rebecca.

Kyle

This is an in-class demo that I did as a lecture in front of the class. About 20-30min demo drawing (maybe a little longer, I can’t remember.) Done in Conté Crayons on 2 X 3 foot newsprint. The head measures about 20 inches in height. Proportions are a little off.

Kyle,
Good lord, these drawings are fantastic!!! :bounce:Thanks a bunch for posting these, I think people will just hugely love these great drawings!!! :thumbsup:

Great work…off to advertise then!!!

Cheers! :slight_smile:

~Rebeccak

damn those are nice!

Wow some of the best I’ve seen for sure. Thanks for sharing these

:eek: - like no other.

know where i can get names of all the muscles?

Sweet mangos, these are brilliant!:eek:
Well, i’ve got a lot of work to do! (goes back to the drawing board… literally)

Lovely stuff!! Are any of them from life or from casts?

‘the paperclip likes!’

These are really fantastic illustrations and it would be a crime if more people didn’t see them. So, I gave you a little front page thingie … :smiley:

superb illustrations!
thank you so much!
this will help me a lot.
:bowsdown:

What size is that art board you are using? They look HUGE.
You should write a drawing book. I have tons of them. I am always looking for more too. I know a lot of other people that collect good anatomy, and drawing books too. You could make a killing.

Nice contrasting colours give a much clearer view of these muscle groups, I’m saving them of for reference work…great stuff.

Knew I should have done some ear studies…

kyle congrats on getting on the front page here

its to bad the photos dont really show how incredible the drawings really are, they are absolutly fantastic when i saw them in person during your class a few terms ago

do you know if your going to teach a figgure drawing class becuase your head drawing class was absolutly fantastic no doubt was the best drawing class at art center by far too bad i could only sit in because the class was full but it was worht showing up every friday

• jonathan scott

nice…

Wow. :applause:

THanks for sharing these. Anatomy is a major weakness of mine mainly because it overwhelms me but your illustrations really simplified it for me. Now if I could only identify what I am seeing :sad:

-gl

:argh: :argh: :argh: FRONT PAGE!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

UUhhhmmm, I certainly didn’t intend this. I am a bit shocked to be honest and overwhelmed to say the least. I am not sure I deserve a front page status but I wanted to say Thank you, Kirt (and nice job on your challenge so far.)

Hey Paperclip, good question. In response to how I work:

When I did these Anatomy images, I had my favorite couple anatomy books open and near by. These books are:

Goldfinger’s “Human Anatomy for Artists”
Bridgman’s “Complete Guide to Drawing from Life”
Clemente’s “Anatomy”

I start by drawing the pose on a loose sheet of paper in pencil so I am not trying to solve any major problem on the big sheet of newsprint in pastel. It helps me speed up the whole experience. After I get it somewhat planned, I open up the anatomy books to check my mistakes and tighten up the muscle proportions and connections. By starting the drawing before I open the anatomy books, I keep the drawing fresh and not tied to any previously drawn image, so these aren’t done from casts or studies from any other images. I take that drawing and clip it to the side of the large newsprint pad on my easel.

So then the big drawing starts. I block it in first with a light color that will erase easily if I need it to. I try not to be to married to my initial sketch, otherwise the drawing ends up looking too stiff. When the layin is complete, it is mostly just a painting by numbers kind of thing. The lighting is a simple, one light source thing, so that is easy enough to make up without needing reference. If the lighting were more complex, I would definitely need reference.

The Head Detail Studies were done using either a mirror or looking at my wifes eyes. You will notice that there are No Eye Lashes. I know it looks weird. I did that because I wanted my students to see the way the lids wrap around the eye ball without obstruction.

Wow, Thank you all for your wonderful comments to me. It really lifts my spirits high to be part of such an amazing community. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Take Care All,

Kyle

P.S. I will write more later, but I need to spend some time with my wife and son first. Thanks again everyone.

WOW…I think this deservers to be on the main page…its a brilliant source…

incredible drawings by the way…just amazing

Saved and soon to be printed for deep study. THANK YOU!