Post here your HDRI's

Since HDRI is becoming more and more popular I felt something was missing…a free HDRI thread. Just like the texture thread and the tutorials thread.

Please post anything that has to do with HDRI here.

Here are some links to free lightprobe galleries:

9 complete HDR’s with different mappings:

63 Sky HDR’s, good if you want to use groundplanes in your image or just a sky:

And here is a very good Probe gallery that also has the source files so you can compare your own method with theirs:

Here are some very good HDRI’s that are not free but very good:

Here are some links I found very usefull for creating HDRI images:

How to get rid of the photographer:

Tweaking your HDR’s:

Paul Debevec’s free HDRShop:

Here is a tutorial on how to import your image sequence and some tips and tricks are mentioned here that aren’t on the HDR shop site. sigh…if I only knew this site BEFORE I went to try hdr out…

Here is a tutorials on how to use hdr’s in Cinema 4d (this was written before the 8.1 upgrade but still is of great help):

This tutorial perfectly explains you how to composite with HDRI (just like BLochi’s HDRI challenge)

And here is a tutorial about how to create panorama’s from a mirrored ball (still the preffered method)

I also made my own HDRI this afternoon with my christmass ball, HDR Shop and photo’s taken at multiple exposures. It took a couple of hours of tweaking before I got this result. You can download the scene file here (bumpercar included :stuck_out_tongue: ) :

http://www.shademaster.nl

:slight_smile:

not free but supposed to be very good.

http://www.realtexture.com/hdri1.html

jeez man youre a walking hdr resource…all very useful.
please post this thread into the resources one at the top of the c4d forum.:beer:

Great stuff man, thanks a ton…! :thumbsup:

K guys, posted it here:

Please continue posting there :slight_smile:

Does it end here?

Ehm…anyone knows where to get tennisball size ballbearings?! Christmass balls are a bit too fragile for my big lumpy hands :sad:

3 inch ball bearing…by the sounds of it.
http://www.debevec.org/HDRShop/main-pages/faq.html

Those links you sent… Does R8 support HDRI files now?

Yep hdr files are supported in 8.1, not 8.001 or 8.012… You’ll have to put the hdr in your sky object in the luminant channel.

actually… I think XP opened it on its own, and I made it into a bmp.

It appears to work like a champ still… unless I lost some HDRI info.

How about 12" steel balls? http://www.outdoordecor.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-RI712-S.html?L+scstore+bxmb3541Google-Decor-GazingGlobesff670467+1058693988

They also have smaller (and cheaper) sizes.

could you really make an HDRI with just a camera and that kind of ball? I mean how would you get it into your computer with out losing all the extra HDRI info?

Originally posted by JIII
could you really make an HDRI with just a camera and that kind of ball? I mean how would you get it into your computer with out losing all the extra HDRI info?

You still have to use multiple exposures and a program that can combine them into an HDRI. The advantage to using a reflective sphere is that you can get a 360 degree image with one snap, as opposed to having to stitch together multiple frames of multiple exposures to make panoramic images into an HDRI.

Yup, just like Adam said.

But there are many pitfalls in creating those images, your camera and ball have to be perfectly fixed, if they aren’t it will show up immediatly. There is also no movement allowed when creating hdr’s from a probe. The trick with hdr’s is that the multiple exposures capture the real light more precise. Normal RGB has 8 bit per channel, that means 0-100% brightness. HDRI has 32 bit per channel with floating point (just read that somewhere :shrug: ), this means your brightness valuas can go up from 0-10000%!

When shooting, you make photo’s at exponential exposure levels:
1-1024 sec.
1- 512 sec.
1- 256 sec.
1- 128 sec.
1- 64 sec.
1- 32 sec.
and so on.
Then you put this image sequence in Photoshop and align them so that in each and every image the ball is in the exact same place, this has to be pixel perfect or it ill show. Then cut out the images you shot so that the border of the ball will be exactly at the border of the image (place your images in multiple layers and use rulers). Save them and name them after the exposure setting, import them to hdrshop. Then set your gamma at something like 3 for good contrast values (I found out that if you set gamma to 2.2 and not on 3 the contrast between the high dynamic range areas and low dynamic range areas become washed out, less contrast between ehm so less highlights in your render.) , now hit calculate and generate image and save ehm.
Then open the Advanced render plugin called HDRprobe convert and convert your hdr file to a spherical map.
Put the newly created file in the luminance channel in Cinema and set it to multiply and the brightness on something like 400. This is neccesary because this will give a way nicer effect on the brighter spots of the image.

You can decrease, increase the contrast by fiddling with the Gamma settings in hdrshop.

That’s what I learned from fiddling with it for hours (while my pc was rendering :smiley: ) . If you do it any different it will probably go wrong, stuff like this is hypersensitive to anything you do wrong or forget…

The hdr I made you see in the render is just done with a big (now broken) christmass ball and a normal 3 megapixel camera…
Hope that helped.

p.s.: You can try the panorama creation method out in your 3d software too! Just put a 100% reflective sphere in your scene, render it and put it in Probe convert in advanced render!

How about 12" steel balls? http://www.outdoordecor.com/cgi-loc...0467+1058693988

12 frigging inch?! :eek: Dood! I have never seen ball like that! Thanks for the link :slight_smile: .
Big balls are great for outdoor scenes since you can photograph them from greater distances with a lesser zoomlens. Small ones are perfect for indoor scenes since they obstruct the view less.

hey cool! these ones float in water!! :buttrock:

Thanks a lot for the links man!

its not size that counts really…its the quality of its surface.

also can’t you put the hdr file into the colour channel?

That Adrian Guy: sorry but converting it will lose the data as far as i’m aware…i might be wrong though.

True, because i have an approximately 40mm steel ball baring that has small bits of corrosion on it and rust, and it doesnt really produce good results. Oh welll, thanks for all the links, your a champion!

Originally posted by flingster

Not necessarily, since what you’re really trying to collect is the light intensity information rather than a great photo background. If you also want to use the scene as a background I would shoot a real panoramic sequence and use that as the BG. Even with a 5 megapixel camera the probe image will be too low-rez to look good as a background unless you blur the hell out of it–in which case surface abnormalities won’t matter.

The main advantage of the big ball is that you can move the camera further back, so the camera (and the photographer) obscures less of the image.

This is true since hdr’s are mostly used for reflections and lighting data. They can’t really function as a 360 panorama since you’ll see nast pixels. This means the background almost always needs a bit of DOF to make it look believable, and even then it’s not everything. HDRI is still best used in composoting not for pano’s…

surely youre capturing reflective data…therefore the better the surface the better your data?
:eek: