Portrait: Moff Tarkin, Imperial Diplomat, Darren Pattenden (3D)

Title: Portrait: Moff Tarkin, Imperial Diplomat
Name: Darren Pattenden
Software: Maya, Photoshop

Since the DVD came out supplying me with excellent reference, I had little excuse not to finish this guy up! He’s been sitting around on my HD since the speed head modeling session eons ago on this very forum.

Modeled and rendered in Maya. Textures created in Photoshop. The hair is the Shave & A Haircut plug-in for Maya.

I probably wont get time to work on this guy any more, but crits welcome all the same.

• Grand Moff Tarkin! Fantastic!
  • That’s a great model. I could tell who it was without reading the post info.
  • The fabric on his clothes looks great.
  • The skin looks good, although a little dead/plastic.

Indeed ,I recognised your foul stench as soon as I was brought on board.
[b]Great work!

[/b]

Exceptional likeness, beautiful textures … although I’d have to agree with Ed, the skin looks a bit lifeless. Nothing that a little SSS couldn’t fix though. Kudos! :slight_smile:

Excellent work, but I have to agree with EdHarriss, the skin looks a bit like rubber gum. Maybe some subsurface scattering can help.

All in all, great!

Wow.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Amazing, simply amazing.

I do agree about the lifeless look, I bet you could fix that quick with a few shader changes.

Here is an awsome article on skin shaders
http://www.androidblues.com/shadetut.html

Again, awsome work

Of course, Peter Cushing looked a little dead in the movie, too.

wow, very nice, nothing to crit at all.

Very nicely modelled physiognomy there, DazP… Mr. Cushing all the way :scream:

Excellent use of ‘Shave’ as well - only crit would be that the veins on his forehead are a bit OTT, and as Ed said, skin a little plasticy; just nees some better Diff and Spec Roll-off maps maybe :shrug: a wire would be nice :slight_smile:

Atwooki

I second that cloudmover

:bounce: :applause: :applause: :buttrock:

FANTASTIC WORK :eek:

Wow, this is pretty close to the original Grand Moff Tarkin (may he, the actor rest in peace). I just don’t like that grainie look. That basically is my crit. I’m not totally against grain, but it could be a bit reduced :slight_smile:

Great piece.

great model…really nice work.

it might be nice if his body had a bit of a rim light to seperate him from the background though. and since this seems to just be a still image (not for an animation)…pose his face! i always wonder why modelers build these incredible models, light them beautifully, texture them beautifully, render them beautifully, but don’t bother to sculpt a bit of facial pose. even a slight one to break up the symmetry of the face would make a big difference.

cheers

Very nice!! great job on the texture!

:bounce: Great Stuff :bounce:

I think that you have been particular sucessful in recreating the eyes.

Masterful…
I didnt know for sure who it was at first but I recognised it from somewhere.
Fix the skin and it will be perfect.

excellent work!
apparently the actor who played him never wore anything other than slippers.
figured I should add that.

Nice lighting.
Skin a little lifeless.

I don’t think is gets much better then this. Reall great job.