Portal to another xyz space? (Equivalent of corner pinning to move from static scene to one with moving camera)

There’s an effect I’m trying to pull off that’s a bit difficult to describe, but I’ll try.

You’re in a room (static scene). There is a picture frame on the wall. In the picture frame is a camera moving through a twisting tunnel (already worked out separately). Camera in the room moves toward the moving tunnel picture until it is perfectly framed, and we are now inside the tunnel.

If I did the two scenes separately, it would be exactly what corner pinning in AE is used for.

I’m having trouble figuring out how to do it in c4d, though. I can pin it in the same sense that I camera morph from the scene in the static room to a close up that perfectly frames the picture, but the issue is that the scene inside is already moving, and in a different space, so not sure how I could project the scene from the one scene into the frame of the second.

In a sense, it’s more like a portal from one xyz space into a complely separate xyz space.

Any ideas on how to achieve this? Do I somehow take the image from the moving camera and project it onto a plane that sits within the picture frame? Can this even be done without separate scenes being composited?

This plugin might be exactly what you need:

might not be R20 compatible though. I think someone else makes a plygin that does the same thing but i cant recall who…

That’s clever. Unity has a similar feature as that. I didn’t know about this guy’s products. Thnx for the link Travis.

Only bad thing is I doubt I can get it to work w/third party renderers.

Didn’t know Droste was possible in c4d. There goes my evening. :slight_smile:

It has a zip file in the download specifically for R20.

After reading up, though… is it actually doing anything different than the built in camera shader available under Mograph heading when selecting a texture in the material editor?

Trying it out now, but first test showed pretty bad aliasing (definitely worse than the actual view from the camera feeding it) for both this plug and the built in one. Will see if it evens out if camera is properly aligned to plane…

The camera shader is certainly one option, and may be what I run with after a few more tests, but I’m still interested in the original question as it’s not quite the same thing.

For instance, as I appraoch the picture (which is through a round portal), The camera’s movement both spatially and temporally is dynamic and fluid. If I wanted to somehow match all that to give the illusion that I’m traveling fluidly into the portal and beyond, I’m assuming it would be near impossible to match the trajectory, inertia, etc of the camera.

So… Is there some way of doing the more complex thing… of looking through a portal and moving towards it so that there is a consistent and fluid parallax between the two dimensions as the camera travels through?

Basically looking to move from one point in space to another like it works in the video game Portal. Looking through the portal reveals another room, but moving around while looking at it shows that the dimensions of the other room are locked to the dimensions in this room. In other words, the portal is perfectly still and consistent on both sides.

I’ve been working with camera shader (both the built in one and the plug for a few hours now, and while it’s very interesting and I will undoubtedly find a use for some Droste type effects or basic corner pinning down the road, it is ultimately a flat image projected via remote camera, and I’m just not seeing how it can quite do what I need in this case. (fluid twisting motion through an irregularly shaped portal)

Any ideas how a portal could be created where the xyz of the portal dimension are locked to the xyz in the current one so it behaves like window frozen in place in both dimensions?