I’m working on a tool, PolySpeed, that speeds up large objects 100 times while modeling and also offers several new modeling features.
It’s faster since it only updates the “Detail Area” that you are working with. Especially meshsmooth/turboSmooth is far, far faster, and it’s no problem to work with objects with 100k polygons (before meshsmooth so after smoothing they are 1mil+). In 3dsmax normally a whole character would be recalculated even if you only moved the left ear a little bit, naturally only the ear should be updated!
It speeds up almost all modifiers in 3dsmax. Unwrap and Deform Paint are both very fast. It’s possible to work with displacements in real time in the viewport, but modifiers like, noise, bend, uvw mapping etc are also faster. PolySpeed also makes it easier to instantly switch your interface and manage your memory for large scenes.
PolySpeed with the 2 polyspeed extensions can do this in full speed:
Object modeled with PolySpeed Basic by the artist Rafal Kidzinski (email@example.com)
The Modifier & Modeling Extension optimizes displacements:
The Modifier and Modeling Extensions has modeling tools for making soft objects harder:
The Modifier and Modeling Extension can slice up the geometry, good for organic and design modeling:
Polyspeed forums for beta testing, pictures/wishlist etc (website comming)
A Movie showing the speed of PolySpeed on a 600,000 object.
A 2,500,000 object with turbosmooth and noise being manipulated.
You find many more movies here:
First there is PolySpeed Basic that provides very strong optimizations but only supports turboSmooth, Symmetry, uvw mapping and Smooth modifier.
- Enormous optimizations of turboSmooth and MeshSmooth. Speedup is several hundreds of times. Working on 300k-1mil objects is possible (For example 10-20k objects with 3 iterations).
- Strong optimization of the editable_poly object. Working on 500k objects is very fast.
- The Symmetry modifier is also supported.
- Adaptive Detail Feature. The Smoothing can be higher in the detail area than the rest of the object, striking a perfect ballance between performance and visual feedback.
- Faster Viewports. The viewports for large object is far faster, when you are in detail mode spinning a 1mil object smoothly should not be a problem.
- Small workflow improvements that make life a little bit easier. The Pick feature that lets you instantly switch between objects and remain in subobject mode (for example face mode). Quick Collapse, just pick several objects and pick the Detail Toggle and the objects will be collapsed into one editable_poly object.
- Full compability with 3dsmax. The object is still just an editable_poly object. So when you are finished modeling in Polyspeed, it works exactly as you expect it too. You can pass it to collegues for texturing or rendering and they will have no compability problems.
- You model just like before, but faster. You do not have to relearn modeling in max (there are of course new modeling tools for those that want though).
- A flexible interface that hides the advanced features for new users but offer lots of settings for experienced users. The interface is also designed to take little screen space and can automatically fold.
Note: PolySpeed Basic works on editable_poly objects only. PolySpeed Basic only works with turboSmooth, meshSmooth, smooth, uvw map and the Symmetry modifier.
- All the features of PolySpeed Basic
- The main feature of PolySpeed Standard is the Speedup of nearly ALL* modifiers in 3dsmax. This means, it’s possible to work on 1mil objects in full speed with noise, displacements, vertex painting, skin, turbosmooth, uvw mapping etc.
- Harden Modeling Tools. Several modeling tools that makes it easy to model hard details on objects with turboSmooth. (industrial models and characters work perfect). See the gallery
- Slicing Tool. Lets you slice up models quickly, useful for cloth, trees etc. See the gallery
- Memory Management. PolySpeed supervises your memory and offers ways to reduce 3dsmax memory usage if memory is running low.
- Modeling tools like Select edges between Smoothing groups
- More settings and faster workflow compared to PolySpeed Basic.
Features planned but not finished:
- Keep Topology feature. A feature that lets you work with PolySpeed and maintain the vertex order intact. Needed for Morphing and skin to work.
- Vertex Paint optimized and some extra features.
- Displacement optimized in viewport and some extra features.
- UVW mapping optimized (uw unwrap)
- Smooth caching. Caches the smoothed object and makes toggling super fast.
- More features and settings compared to Basic.
- more features to be announced. Features under review are several new layer features.
Note. This document is constantly changing.
Fusion Wave Design