Plugin announcement: 3Delight for Cinema4D

Hi all,
I am happy to announce a new plugin I have been working on for quite a long time: 3delight for Cinema4D (3DLfC4D), a rendering bridge between C4D and the amazing 3Delight renderer from Illumination research (www.3delight.com).
I have developed this plugin for use in my own personal projects, but I have now decided to make it available as open source.

Some feature highlights:
-Render C4D scenes with 3Delight, a production ready renderer used on several hollywood productions.
-Physically plausible rendering with OSL shaders.
-Based on the new NSI (nodal scene interface) technology from Illumination research.
-The 3DLfC4D plugin comes with its own API, and is designed to be extensible by 3rd party developers.

Feel free to try it out if you are interested! To use it, follow these steps:

-Download and install the 3Delight renderer. Illumination research offer a free version with unlimited features, but restricted to rendering with 12 cores.

-Download the 3DLfC4D plugin (See the “releases” page for downloads). Current version is windows only, and should work with C4D versions 17-19. The download contains four c4d plugins (3DLfC4D, 3DLfC4D_geometry, 3DLfC4D_lights, 3DLfC4D_shaders) . Place all of them in your C4D plugins folder.

Note that the current version of the C4D plugin is a pre-release version, so be prepared that it is still a little rough around the edges. The plugin is under active development, so feedback and feature suggestions are welcome!

/Filip

So sad it is for Windows only, but thanks anyway and I can’t wait the OS X version!
Cheers

Assuming 3Delight itself is Windows-only, in which case sad but not at all surprising given that Apple has ignored this market until recently, based on their hardware options, their API choices and other aspects. They may yet continue to ignore it; we’ll see with the next Mac Pro.

Generally though I fully expect any new great plugin, especially if it is designed to integrate with niche apps or renderers used in Hollywood, to be Windows only and Windows/Mac if we’re lucky. Presumably most custom built apps that are designed for Hollywood and end up being cleaned up for commercial resale, start out Windows only for obvious reasons, but maybe one day that will change.

The 3delight renderer itself is available for both mac and Windows, so in this case it is just a matter of compiling the (open source) c4d plugin for mac. I don’t own a mac myself, but hopefully some other c4d developer can help out with this.

Hello Filip
Thank you!

Testing with Ornatrix Beta

Cool, I’m glad you got it working!

I haven’t tried Ornatrix myself, I assume you converted the hair to a polygon mesh to render it?

Yes, to ribbon or cylinders
It needs NSI operator tag for curves like https://gitlab.com/3DelightOpenSource/HydraNSI/blob/master/hdNSI/curves.cpp

Yes, curve support for efficient hair rendering is definitely on the roadmap!

I re-register at 3delight forums. Seems their forums are empty?!

Honestly, i did not use 3dl in my cineman’s and several own tools workflow. I had sitex air(c4d, sketchup, rhino) and a little prman

The 3delight website was redesigned just recently. My guess is that their forums will be up again soon.

The 3delight renderer has changed quite drastically in the recent year or so. It is no longer a renderman compliant reyes-style renderer, but a physically plausible raytracer using OSL shaders. The RIB interface has been replaced with their own NSI api, which is more modern and really enjoyable to work with as a 3rd party developer.