Please, i need help (University of Teesside)

Hi guys, I need help! I’m looking for a college where I can study computer graphics but here in Italy there is anything like that(maybe the Florence Institute of Design but I don’t like it very much and the fee is too high for me):arteest: I just took a look at the post where the school are listed and I found this University of Teesside! I’d like to know if someone can give me a piece of advice obout this and the other schools here in Europe(i don’t speak a word in German or any other language but English). I tried to find a page on the site of the UoT with the fees but I couldn’t find any price. Please, I need help or else i’ll have to do something I don’t like at the university. Thanks

PS i hope i’ll ananche my English there in England :blush:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69427

or http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=CG+school+in+italy&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Hi Silver,

I’m a student at UoT doing the games design degree. The course is quite good for 3d (modules & labs for 3ds max and softimage, animation software, photoshop & more) animation and texturing. I know quite a few students who are from europe. Here is the information I could find on the website.

http://www.tees.ac.uk/sections/international/fees.cfm

European Students
If you are a national of a member country of the European Community you may be eligible to have most of your course fees paid by the UK Government through the Department for Education and Skills (Dfes). The amount of fee assistance available will depend on the income of the student’s parents/spouse or, in some cases, on the level of assistance received from the home authorities. You may be asked to pay towards your University fees and the Dfes will inform you of the level of contribution you will be expected to make. The contribution is from nil to a maximum of £1,100 per annum (for Academic Year 2002/2003) and is payable to the University.

To be eligible, you must:

Fulfil the criteria for home fee status (ie have lived within the EU for three or more years before you start the course) and be an EU National or the child of an EU National, and
be attending the whole of a course which is designated for mandatory award purposes (most degrees and HNDs), and
Not be receiving an award (grant) from an LEA, and
Not be repeating a year of the course.

If you think you are eligible and have not received an application form EU3 through UCAS, you should apply to the DfEE Distribution Centre, tel: +44 1623 724503.

Continuing students who first enrolled in academic years 1998/99 and 1999/2000 should receive form EU3(A) direct from the DfEE at their last known address.

Please note: you will need to re-apply for fees help every year that you are planning to study. The University has flexible payment arrangements for fees and accommodation. For details contact the University Finance Department on +44 1642 342156.

Tuition Fees
The normal international student tuition fees are:

£7,650 per annum for laboratory-based courses and the MBA
£6,650 per annum for classroom-based courses excluding the MBA

There are exceptions to this:

Physiotherapy/Occupational Therapy/Radiography courses
Students on these courses may incur additional costs associated with their study. Students should check the full extent of fees payable with University of Teesside Finance Department.

Students on a full year placement
Students undertaking a year long work placement as part of their course will pay reduced rate of £510 for that one year

The University offers an International Scholarship in the form of a reduction against this fee to eligible students.

hey… i went to UoT too… it isn’t too bad… the facilities are good and it’s slowly getting a little bit better!! and cost of living there is pretty cheap! val has pretty much all the info you need really! only thing you got to look out for about UoT is that they can be slightly disorganised! but that’s Teesside for you! good luck!
ciao
:wink:

I’m a student at UoT doing the games design degree. The course is quite good for 3d (modules & labs for 3ds max and softimage, animation software, photoshop & more) animation and texturing. I know quite a few students who are from europe

I’d like to do that course too! I’ve got some questions cause I didn’t understand some passages:

1. the standard fee is 7500$ but EC members pay a maximum of 1100$?
  2. what is “an award (grant) from an LEA”?

I haven’t finished yet(now that I found you I want to ask you everything :bowdown: ). Noodle said that life is cheap there, but I think cheap in England means expensive in Italy :cry:
Can you please gimme some example(I know it’s a weird question, but I need to know if I’ll have to eat garbage or shoes :surprised )?

Thanks for the answers

[EDIT] I think I’ll offer you a beer if I come there :beer:

wow - I went to the University of Teeside aswell… I did the BA Creative Visualisation course which I thought was so-so.

The animation and graphics modles were GREAT as where the teachers who dealt with these…however I also had to take modules such as Business, WWW design, Graphical Maths, Programming, and VRML programming - which, in my mind were a COMPLETE waste of time and effort and I know that I will not use these skills again. Also the only 3D programme they taught then was Softimage 3d on some, very slow, SGI machines.

I had to come out of uni and teach myself 3D Studio Max to get into my job now as a graphic designer/ animator for a games company.

However I have heard that the newer courses are much better with less of an emphasis on the programming and maths sides and teach you 3D Studio as standard so it should be a good course all round.

The best for me would have been(verbs are my enemies :thumbsdow ) the Gnomon School cause I use Maya, but it is too far and too expensive. If they teach max there is no problem, i’m not afraid of learning to use other programs. Well, I need to know how much it costs the life there! Could I sleep in some kind of dormitory or something similar? How much it will cost to rent a flat, even with some other students?
Thanks everybody, I’ll remember this when I’ll be famous :stuck_out_tongue:

the cost of life at uni is something only you can put a figure on :slight_smile: we can’t tell how often you eat, go out drinking or what clothes you buy etc. as far as housing goes, the uni dorms/houses range from 43euros (30£) for basic cheap houses (pay your own bills) to 70euros (50£) for the better rooms with bills included in that price.

can’t help you with the questions about fees or grants, i think you should email/phone teesside uni and talk to them about that.

and yes fat cap, there are some modules that are just a complete waste of time, communication module where u learn to work in teams \o/ etc…just have to take the rough with the smooth.

i went to teeside. Nice facilities. The staff range from very good to absolute shit. They teach softimage xsi now. I had to learn max off my own back there. Infact, i didnt attend nearly any lectures really. The university is located in the town centre of middlesbrough which is a shithole. I dont want to put you off though. There is some major investment going on in middlesbrough and with the university. I had a great time and got a good education. I also got a good job almost straight away. Its well cheap there. drinks under £2 a pint. Only £150 a month rent. Just watch out for the locals. I had a gun put to my head in the first year. True story… Man i have some fond memories of that place.

Well, I’ve just come back from an Inter-Rail trip and I lived with 5/10€ a day, so I think I can handle this :slight_smile:
I changed my mind and I decided to do the Computer Animation course

The university is located in the town centre of middlesbrough which is a shithole

It can’t be so horrible! Someone can put a gun against your head everything if you don’t know where to go but i think i’ll need a friend there.
I’d like to ask something to you: where do/did you live there? I think 70 € per week with food and bills included is not so much
I’ll be very grateful to you if you could give me some other advice(and please, correct me when I’m wrong with English)

[EDIT] pleas, contact me in MSN Messenger or mail(silvecg@hotmail.com)

FAT CAP: i’m glad i’m not the only one who thought VRML was a waste of time!!! (remembers the late night she spend typing stupid VRML coding before the deadline) :annoyed: good old arif wani!!!

clubb: dont they do £1 a pint in the union anymore??? i know they do £1 in the crown and southie… too many blurry memories! hehe… :beer: … you didn’t by any chance get taken hostage did you!? cos i lived next to a house which got raided by a swot team cos the ex-con dude next door held a person at gun point!

It can’t be so horrible! Someone can put a gun against your head everything if you don’t know where to go but i think i’ll need a friend there.

er… i think you’ll find that it is a shithole! i lived on manor street one year and it’s one of the worst streets in boro… you had little kids no older than 6 smoking cigs and pissing into the street… but don’t let that put you off!!! it’s the people that you meet that really makes it worth while… and er… yeah the degree as well! but yeah i’ve walked around the streets at ungodly hours of the morning in boro and nothings happened to me and i’m a girl!

I too am studying at Teesside, doing Computer Games Design. The course is very good on the whole. Some modules are better than others but I suppose that’s unavoidable…

I wouldn’t go so far as to call Middlesbrough a shithole but it certainly isn’t a particularly pleasant place. It’s okayish mostly but I wouldn’t want to live there longer than the 3 years I’ll be studying at the uni. I’ll definitely not be doing my placement there anyway.

noodle: Glad to say, i wasn’t the hostage. Looks like isolated incidents. They still do £1 pint. I might have to visit there again. I pay up to £4 in the south. An artists wage dosen’t cut it down here

Dodo: Ok, i was overreacting with the shithole comment. Still, 3 years is definately the max!

ARIF WANI ! ! ! Hahahahahahahhah

aaaah the memories, Communications, VRML, Visual Basic - but the good modules outweigh the bad…just about! ! ! !

And yeah - Middlesbrough IS a shithole…especially if you aer a student beacuse you will most likely be staying in the town centre which is a dump and you can DEFINATELY see the effect that living next to ICI has on you in the “locals” vacant stares and mutant expressions… I think ICI must also pump chemicals into the water so you gain a huge appreciation for Kappa tracksuits, huge fringes, and sovereign rings. BUT it is very cheap to live there and go out.

On the whole I really enjoyed my time there - the course may not be the best but - like all things - you get out what you put in.

So how are all you Teeside graduates on here doing in the industry? Are we all working for PIXAR now or still collecting the bi-weekly cheque from the Queen? After a breif (!?!?!?) stint on the dole I am now lovng my job as a graphic artist for a games company in Newcastle where I live.

ICI, bloody hell. It circles middlesbrough like a prison wall, spewing smog into the city. Did you ever sneaze black snot? i remember feeling ill for a week every time i returned there from holidays.

I too was on the dole before getting a games job. I think thats the usual thing for everybody there.

Originally posted by clubb6
ICI, bloody hell. It circles middlesbrough like a prison wall, spewing smog into the city. Did you ever sneaze black snot? i remember feeling ill for a week every time i returned there from holidays.

LOL! I can vouch for all of the above. Black bogeys and feeling ill… every time…

Middlesbrough IS a shithole. But if you make good friends as I was fortunate enough to, then you can definately have a good laugh.

Having said that, I visited a few years after I left and things seemed to have improved a LOT.

If you go, be sure to check out Sessions and the bar downstairs in the Purple Onion (bit pricey though, this place.) Nice places, nice people.

Good luck!

Hm… well I’m just going into my 2nd year now so I guess I must have missed the horror that Boro apparently has been in the past. It’s still not very good but at least, as you say, it’s improving.

They’ve actually been planting trees in the street leading up to the main tower :eek:

… wonder how long those’ll last. :stuck_out_tongue:

Im about to start a course at Teeside too studying Computer Animation (this September). Just a couple of questions.

1)I was just wondering what the main differences are compared to Animation course in Bournemouth or Glamorgan?

2)Whats the National Centre for Computer Games and Animation like? (it doesnt show any pics on their website)

3)The pc’s or workstations Teeside uses, any good? what make, specs? Id like to purchase a pc before starting the course but i dont know whether to get a typical latest Mesh pc or go for a more specific Boxx workstation. Main differences?

4)Does the Uni provide internet access in each dorm room like the Woodland halls etc.? I cant survive without internet and University firewalls piss me off too much, how bout getting broadband installed in the room? :slight_smile:

Anyways thankx hope it wasnt too boring!

hi evo_supra - im moving into my 3rd year of comp anim at tees after this summer. now to those questions… :slight_smile:

1)I was just wondering what the main differences are compared to Animation course in Bournemouth or Glamorgan?

• not too sure on this one… ive heard that bournemouth is a little more “technical” - ie more coding, maths etc etc. less of the arty side. although tees seems to have a good mixture of both it’s still weighted towards the art side of things.

2)Whats the National Centre for Computer Games and Animation like? (it doesnt show any pics on their website)

• never heard of it! sorry!

3)The pc’s or workstations Teeside uses, any good? what make, specs? Id like to purchase a pc before starting the course but i dont know whether to get a typical latest Mesh pc or go for a more specific Boxx workstation. Main differences?

• i would definitely get a good PC. a lot of the time (if not all) you will be working at home on your various modules. you can’t get by only using the tutorial sessions to get your work done, and trecking into uni on sundays or after dark is not pratical, although many do it. i would suggest getting the best PC you can afford. you won’t need a Boxx or anything sh*t hot like that, but a decent graphics card is the most important thing. you can always use the uni computers to render your stuff as well. As far as uni machines go - theyre pretty hot. they have tonnes of linux boxes, as well as the standard windows ones. theyre certainly good enough to get your work done on anyway which is what matters. they currently have XSI 3.01 (upgrading to 4 ive heard - please god!!!), Maya 4.5, Max 5.1sp1 (upg to 6 too i hope), USAnimation, Premiere, Photoshop, Cubase and of course tonnes of programming language apps too. They’re very well kitted out anyway. but still go buy a good PC. 99.999999999% of my work is done at home, not in the uni labs.

4)Does the Uni provide internet access in each dorm room like the Woodland halls etc.? I cant survive without internet and University firewalls piss me off too much, how bout getting broadband installed in the room?

• nope! as far as im awair, no uni housing offers intranet access. i might be wrong but im pretty sure. last year (my 1st year) we were in housing, not halls, and we had to buy a broadband package from NTL (the only damn ISP in the area, and theyre crap!) but it worked out great. like you say, you really NEED internet access at home, for the same reasons i gave in no.3. you can get a 1mb cable connection for £35 pm and a cheap router + cables for another £50 odd. Just make damn sure everyone agrees to pay their share BEFORE you go and buy it all! (live and learn…).

Any more questions please ask!

:beer:

:thumbsup: Heya mothermachine - Thnkx for replyin to me. Really kool stuff on your website, which industry are u lookin to get into after u graduate? For me personaly Im lookin more into the gaming industry, but who knows i might change my mind later in the year.

Looks like im set then to purchase a PC then probably in the range of an AMD 64bit with a GeForce 6800 should be ok.

A few more questions tho:

1. Would you say its better to start off in housing rather than the halls?

2. What are the tutors like? My previous animation tutor was so bad i seriously dont know how she got the job, but she down-graded my work coz she said it was, wait for it…‘too professional’ yep! u heard correctly! lol well to put it simply she rather have me find my own style of work (even if it turns out messy and abstract lookin) rather than going for a clean-cut look i.e copying the japanese style coz my recent animation was very manga influenced, if that makes any sense. So i guess she had a some point.

3. You mentioned various softwares, which one gets taught most often during class?

4. What are the course modules like?

5. Are 3rd Year industry placements most likely?

6. With the websites you create, did you mainly use Flash? Im keen to create mine pretty soon, but im not sure how you get that effect where the buttons or menu’s fade into view kinda thing, similiar to www.2advanced.com site.

Appreciate it dude! :smiley: