Pink and Blue render type???

I’ve been doing CG as a hobby for about 12 years now but recently watching some vfx breakdowns on Youtube I’ve noticed a lot of the Pink/Blue render levels. I’m going to guess they must be Normals but they are used a lot in smoke sims etc. Are they a different type of depth compositing?

Can be seen here at 1.1l and 3.25

//youtu.be/uaUuUhGZDYY

Cheers

Tom

Both of those examples are normals passes and are useful for relighting.

Obviously, smoke isn’t likely to have a normal, but it’s possible you’re seeing a utility light pass, or a world position, or motion vectors, or any number of things that didn’t immediately occur to me. For instance, I was working on a FumeFX nebula recently for which I cranked the opacity way up and then used an RGB light setup to create some faked normals that I could use to relight in comp. It turned out mostly yellow and green, but if I’d rearranged the lights, it might have been magenta/cyan instead.

Ah ok thanks, so do you purposefully set colours to create this effect or is it simply a type of render pass?

Here’s an example of the smoke I mentioned

http://vimeo.com/m/54488977

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.