Photoshop CS6 Beta

The photoshop CS6 Beta is now available for download

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/22/adobe-photoshop-cs6-beta/

here is a list of the new features

Brushes

• HUD brush resize and hardness can now change opacity
  • Increase brush size to 5000px
  • Change color dynamics to per stroke instead of per tip (user option for old behavior)
  • Brightness/contrast slider for textures when painting
  • Brush projection for static tips
  • Brush cursor reflects brush dynamics for round and captured tips

Eyedropper

• Show the sample size popup for the various eyedropper tools (black point, white point,
    etc.)
  • Add ignore adjustment layers options bar item for the eyedropper
  • New mode for eyedropper to select layers current and below

File formats

• Read common stereo image pair formats (JPS, PNS) Allow for more bit depths in TIFF files
  • Read BIGTIFF format
  • Give the user choices regarding how they want transparency treated in OpenEXR on file open

Grammar

• Policed throughout app
  • Use consistent grammar style in the title of dialog windows (no commands such as “Choose a color:”)

Layers

• Add a contextual menu item that deletes a layer effect not just disables it
  • Add dither options to Layer Styles for Gradient Overlay and Gradient Stroke
  • Allow 00 or Shift 00 to work when setting layer/fill opacity (previously no way to get 0%)
  • Add bicubic sharper & bicubic smoother options when free transforming layers
  • Allow changing of blend modes for multiple layers at once
  • Allow locking of multiple layers
  • CMD+J to duplicate layers and layer group
  • Allow changing color labels to multiple layers at once
  • Layer tooltips to include layer name (if defined)
  • Opt+click on toggle arrows (groups and effects) in layer panel should close all targets
  • Show blend if/Blending Effects badge on layer
  • Show correct opacity and blend mode values for hidden layers
  • Tab goes to next layer on inline layer rename, SHIFT + TAB goes to previous
  • New command to raster layer effect into layer, merging the selected layers into themselves
  • Reorder effects in the layers palette to match the Z-**order style/blend mode (bottom most effects in termsof blending order, drop shadow is below the other effects

Liquify

• Resize Liquify brush with shortcuts
  • Increase maximum Liquify brush size Add option to load last mesh

Presets

• Add new document presets for common devices (e.g. iPhone, iPad, etc.)
  • Add new Gradient Map presets for toning and split-**toning
  • Sticky reorganization of tool presets (changes persist after re-launch) Add Contact Sheet II as an Automation option

SDK

• Add the ability to return an array of guides in a document from the scripting SDK
  • Add ability to access tool name associated with the tool preset name via scripting
    Selections
  • Make the marquee, lasso, and mask panel feather values support decimal places like the feather dialog
  • Remember feather radius when showing dialog for selection from a path

Transform

• Improve dragging of vector curves
  • Don’t hide smart object icon when transforming a layer
  • Rotate 90 with even x odd pixel dimension to be smooth (bjango.com)
  • Undo or disable auto -**rotate on open

UI

• Remove the app bar and reduce the drag/app bar over 30%
  • [Windows] New/open document to context click on a document tab (has always been on Mac, now Windows too)
  • Add “Don’t show again” checkbox to Purge warnings

Miscellaneous

• Enable Split Channels for documents with layers
  • Select Hex field by default and allow clipboard pastes with # in contents (i.e. #fffffff)
  • Increased GPU stability by prequalifying GPUs on the fly before use
  • Auto-**select the best resample method based on the type of resize
  • Enable Invert and Threshold adjustments for masks in 32 -**bit
  • Hold SHIFT during startup to disable 3rd party plugins
  • Add warning message that 16 -**bit images cannot display their file size in the Save as JPEG dialog
  • Add command to insert “lorem ipsum” for type

russell browns fav features of 6

http://www.youtube.com/photoshop

• Give the user choices regarding how they want transparency treated in OpenEXR on file open

this can`t be true, can it? :slight_smile: :rolleyes:

Video inside of Photoshop - seriously - why ??

Because, it’s the beginning of the end.

Photoshop needs to go node-based. But this is interesting:

Grammar

• Policed throughout app
  • Use consistent grammar style in the title of dialog windows (no commands such as “Choose a color:”)

The new brush options might be interesting and get me to a slightly faster workflow ( but then again, my wacom buttons do change the opacity of my brush…) Not too sure if I like this new release, it seems that adding video in photoshop we might get the same mess as when they added 3d in it. Digging the dark UI though :slight_smile:

Video inside of Photoshop - seriously - why ??

not really sure either, unless its for people who cant afford after effects or premier.

ya, it’s kinda weird that now you can do basic video/sound editing in Photoshop…
i think they should’nt have done that.

No better floating point (32bpc) support? :frowning:

The line tool continues to be horrible?

Are the bezier handles still very hard to see and grab?

will it continue to dominate the top of the “memory” tab even with all files closed, until I restart it?

In addition to all the negativity in this thread, this guy is reaaally irritating!

What happened to the brush tool and interactive opacity/hardness/size?

Give the user choices regarding how they want transparency treated in OpenEXR on file open

Yeah, lets see :). Only took 6 versions of nagging from all corners of the internet :smiley: hahaha.

Did you ever read that great thread where the Photoshop developer handling file formats was arguing with one of the ILM creators of openEXR about the format and informing (rudely) the guy who created it that he was wrong about openEXR specs? Champagne comedy :).

Never read it, but it sounds like a great thread to peek into. If anyone has a link to it, i’d love it :slight_smile:

forums.adobe.com/thread/369637

Pretty mammoth thread, quite funny too. Chris Cox is the Adobe guy, stubborn as a mule. Florian is the OpenEXR author. Plenty of comment from very senior VFX/software guys like zap etc. Someone cross posts to the Nuke lists so it becomes a free for all.

Page 3 has the real smackdown :). All in the past of course, but an interesting read.

fun, fun, fun :smiley:

edit - this is centered around the change from cs2 to cs 3 btw, so we have had 4 and 5 in the interim. Only took 3 versions to fix ;).

edit two - Hahaha funny as well, when you look at the dates below;

[175.](http://forums.adobe.com/message/1976018#1976018)                         May 20, 2009 5:13 AM                             ([in response to Chris Cox](http://forums.adobe.com/message/1975192#1975192))                         
                      [b]                         [Re: Change in EXR open from CS2 to CS3 can this be fixed?](http://forums.adobe.com/message/1976018#1976018)                         [/b]                                                                     Chris, 

Is there an ETA on the solution for editing the transparency/opacity?

Happy to help with testing.

[](http://forums.adobe.com/people/Chris%20Cox)                                                     [Chris Cox](http://forums.adobe.com/people/Chris%20Cox)                        
                     [i]10,774 posts since 

May 20, 2006[/i]
176. May 20, 2009 2:35 PM (in response to Dprog)
Re: Change in EXR open from CS2 to CS3 can this be fixed?
It’s going through normal feature development and testing. Which means I can’t tell you the ETA without an NDA.

Maybe because DSLR’s with amazing video quality are selling like hotcakes and Photoshop is used by thousands of Photographers with those same DSLR’s. Not to mention the millions that have Point and Shoot/Bridge cameras with HD video by now as well.

PS (PS Elements) is a widely used tool for years, not only the 3D or the Design folks use it ya know, the program during the years has become a must have like pretty much having an Operating System. Sure there are dedicated Video programs but if PS can open and edit them why move around.

Not saying its good or bad to have Video inside PS, just giving a possible explanation, and it doesn’t seem that off to have if to be honest, I even think its a lot more logical than having 3D inside PS. I’m also pretty sure this Video features will get into the cheapest but very very capable PS Elements.

I can now draw a line and make it a dashed one, cool. If i make it thicker than 4 px it becomes a rectangle. WTF?!

is the guy in the video condescending or what? he’s thinks he’s talking to a bunch of polite 3 year olds.