Thanks for the message. I have seen your work, it looks good! well on your way
My basic workflow consist of:
obviously carefully align blueprints, and gather as much reference as I can. I have about 5 folders at the moment which I add to consisting of exterior, interior, doors, rear, headlights etc.
I then start by tracing the blueprints with curves, making everything aligned and tracing the important shapes in the body panels using curves. This is mainly for my own reference.
Then I patch a few of the front panels using the curves, or start with the bonnet and crate one large rectangle polygon. Then slice it a few times, and align the point to the curve - “snap to curve” works very well in keeping everything smooth.
I model each panel as a separate object, but when starting an adjacent panel I will copy the edge loop of the first one, and use that to extent my new panel from, ensuring they line up perfectly.
Once I have the basic flat shape I will then start at the front and add depth to each panel by extruding in 5mm (roughly the depth of metal panels) and tighten up all the sharp corners and edges. at this point is should look pretty sweet. From here just continue this process from front to back, and detailing as I go. modellign each object as it is built in real life - the headlights have multiple rubber seals and components etc, as does the door jams/seals. If it doesn’t look 100% accurate to my eyes at least then I will keep redoing it.
The key through all of this is to REALLY focus on the topology of the car. depending on your software will depend how will it handles polygons with more than 4 points, but try and keep 99.9% of your polygons to 4 points and REALLY only use the bare minimum polygons needing to create the shape.
The side intake was originally not modelled. I left the panel flat BUT made sure the topology of the door and side panel sat in the correct position to line up with it. Then when detailing all I had to do was extrude inwards, and weld a few points at one end. of course a lot of tweaking with the points and distances ensured I don’t get any pinching in the surface.
And yes the interior and door jams are just from eye balling a hell of a lot of photos, working out edge loops, which objects to built separately, each time just copying and pasting adjacent polygon loops or edge loops to start the next part. 99% of my process is extending polygons and slicing loops in. For this amount of details I must have spent hours on end staring at references to get it correct fun in this instance as I am aiming for such a close copy and realistic final render and animation.
Hope this helps