Paint texture in 3D

Yeah, that’s not a problem. You just select the Paint Through tool, go to your image manager and import the image/stencil you want to use. Drag the imported image from the Image Manager to your viewport and the image should appear, position as you like and then start painting it on the model with the Paint Through tool.

I found this way, now I see…

In Mudbox I found how can paint in 8k size. In new layer I can paint only 4k size, but if I paint the original layer kept the 8k size (only in Mudbox 2012, in Mudbox 2013 do not kept the 8k size).
(maybe this depend for the gpu ram, for 8k layer size 1,5 gb or high ram needed)

After I will check Bodypaint too, and I will decide what program is the best for me.

a bit off topic, but isn’t mari a little overpriced? what else does it do other than painting texture on 3d model? something around $500-$700 is more acceptable IMHO

it seems all the products from The foundry are quite expensive, of course, if the company’s doing fine with that price range, good for them, it’s just not so friendly for personal/small business use. I’d like to try those fancy tools, but by looking at the price, it turns me off straight away.

3D-Coat is clearly the best option, especially considering price. Real time displacement, real time normal map painting, it’s the original consumer Ptex program, full Photoshop support including layers, blending modes, and an app link. Painting directly on the sculpture is also not only supported but even faster than painting on the a UV texture. Of course it’s arguably got the best retopology and UV tools on the market and some of the best sculpting tools as well, all for under $350.

Well, I maybe wouldn’t claim it so strictly, especially if I would work for them.

You would work for who?

Is there a way to change Mari’s navigation in the viewport to Maya’s?

Sure, we added this option in 1.4v3. If you go to preferences there is a navigation tab that allows you to customize various options and there is a preset for Maya ( and Houdini,Max and others)

Is it possible to import in Mari a non-square resolutions image as stencil?

I had looked at 3d Coat before and checked it out again. Looks really promising. It is been used in big production. And if no - why?
I would Ike to try Mari but I need to upgrade my machine - it is 32 bit and quite old.

Yes, you should be able to open non-square textures in the image manager. Do you mean as a brush tip or a paint-through stencil.

I feel that 3D-Coat and Mari address different needs and market segments. There are things you can do in Mari than cannot be done in 3D-Coat and vice versa.

a bit off topic, but isn’t mari a little overpriced? what else does it do other than painting texture on 3d model? something around $500-$700 is more acceptable IMHO

it seems all the products from The foundry are quite expensive, of course, if the company’s doing fine with that price range, good for them, it’s just not so friendly for personal/small business use. I’d like to try those fancy tools, but by looking at the price, it turns me off straight away.

Definitely, this is big stopper for me too. Unfortunately price is just way too high for personal/small business use.

What do you mean Jack. What is that Mari can do and 3d Coat cant and vice versa?

Mari is focused on digital painting for VFX and CG. It doesn’t have sculpting, voxels re-topology, or the UV-Layout tools that I understand are in 3D-Coat. I’m sure there are many more features in 3D-Coat that Mari doesn’t cover.

Mari has support for industry standard colour management, large texture support (16k^2 and above), Python scripting for pipeline integration, a robust solved camera workflow, a brush engine that doesn’t slow down with large radius brushes, animated geometry, cameras and textures, support for matte painting and can scale to datasets orders of magnitude larger than other packages.

It isn’t unusual for our users to regularly edit and manage datasets well over 40Gb of textures and I’ve seen >200Gb in the wild.

Mari is also, by all accounts, a really nice way to paint textures if you have a lot of high quality textures to paint.

Thanks Jack. Really helpful explanation. Basically Mari is high end texturing tool. Will try it for sure as I am texture artist as well.Will need to upgrade my machine first.

Great. Glad to help. Please let me know how you get on or if you have an questions.

Yes, it is. I have friends at several quite large studios, both game and film, who've told me they're using it there. Unfortunately I've always been asked not to say what studios because of autodesk's deals with the studios. I don't want to get my friends in any trouble.

BTW if you’re painting directly on the model (not a UV texture image or Ptex) 3DC’s brushes also do not slow down with brush size. I’m not sure what is meant by textures and matte painting (in this context) but those can be things 3DC does as well.

Thanks for the info Phil.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.