We’re a studio looking to acquire a skilled art director to head our design team for a game that is starting development very soon. We are unable to share information on the game itself at this stage, but as the Art Director you will have ample opportunity to help us shape the style and theme of this project.
This is a full time position for an experienced professional. A link to the full writeup for this position will be attached to this post as soon as we are able to do so. Until then, a transcript of said document is available at the bottom of this post.
You can find our social links in our account bio
Looking for an Art Director in Ontario!
A Contract Position to Define and Develop the Visual Style for an Exciting Next Gen Video Game
Bringing Our Visions to the Gaming World’s Eyes
- Are you humble enough to accept criticism of your art but proud enough to want everybody to see it?
- Can you distill a masterpiece to its base elements?
- For you, does creating art, subjective as it is, still have an objective process to follow?
- If you’ve answered yes to any of these questions, then read on!
- Work with the producers and developers to define the artistic vision for our game
- Create the style guide of our game
- Coordinate the art team, work as part of it when needed
- Explain design choices and provide rationale
- Balance the artistic vision of the game with the technical constraints of development
- Take notes and critiques with a collaborative, team-based approach
- Follow, maintain, and expand visual pattern libraries and style guides
- Assist in the recruitment and encouragement of artistic talent
Desired Skills & Traits
- A not-at-all-secret passion for games
- Knowledge and experience in both 2D and 3D digital art
- The ability to to push the stylization of artistic forms while maintaining readability
- Creativity, positivity, and understanding
- Superior knowledge and long-time experience with the digital design software tools of your choice
- Exemplary communication skills
- Proficiency in design fundamentals like typography, color theory, layout, and user-centered design principles
- Willing to listen and learn to speak with disciplines other than your own, such as programmers, production managers, and clients
- 5+ years of leadership experience in the video game industry
- A college diploma in Fine Arts or equivalent
- At least one shipped game
- Professional experience with Photoshop and 3D modelling software
- Experience with designing for PC and console
Before You Hit Send
Make sure you provide us with:
Joydrop is a full-service agency specializing in video game development and production. We craft experiences for the consumer on Nintendo Switch, Sony PlayStation, Microsoft Xbox One, mobile, and PC. Our studio was founded by Mark Mikulec, a veteran game developer on titles like Dark Sector and Bioshock and an architect of 3D graphics engines who has handpicked a team of talented newcomers and industry veterans.
Working at Joydrop/Mikutech means working elbow to elbow with respected industry professionals and up-and-comers in code, art, and design. It also means you’ll not only be given the chance to show off your expertise and finesse, but learn alongside similarly ambitious people.
Joydrop is located in the long-time tech hotspot of London, Ontario, home to other high-tech industry stalwarts like Digital Extremes, IO Industries and Start.ca. This makes London a great home base for our team at Joydrop, but we are now accommodating remote work. We would like to meet potential team members in person if possible.
For more information about Joydrop Ltd, please see our account profile.