OT: Distain for money (just read it then judge it)

I’m sorry that this is offtopic, but i’ve REALLY been thinking about this lately, and i’m wondering if i’m COMPLETLY alone in it. I doubt it though, there is ALOT of people outthere, someones gotta be as nuts as I am.

I personaly find NO motivation in money (or any material goods actualy). I HATE money. The only reason I have a job is to get money, which I hate, so that I can do things that I like! So I even hate my Job.

Personaly as career choices I’ve dicided (now don’t make this part of your arguement just listen to them as part of where i’m coming from) that I want to go to divinity school (seminary, basicly I go and become a pastor of a church). As my secondary (hobby till I need a change) is CG hopefuly in the game development world. Both Jobs that probebly won’t pay very well, but will be something I enjoy doing in life and will be “acceptible” enough to people. However somedays I consider buying a rifle and moving into a national park and living there off the land. Stealing ammo, food and supplies when I need to. My hate for money also alot extends into a dislike for MOST of society and its structuring and labeling of people.

I’m just wondering if anyone shares my distain for money, even in the slightest, and what drives them and such and maybe just a bit about themselves as well (as i’ve done). And any ideas of things I can do to, A. make a diffrence or B. Come to a point where I won’t hate everything that I supposidly “need”.

Well, it sounds like your life sucks.

Maybe one day when you stop being angry, you enjoy life a bit more.

I love money, i find the whole financial world to be fun and challenging. Most of the people who say “i hate money!” or “i don’t really care too much for money” are people who don’t have and don’t understand money.
Also, you should ask yourself why you hate money. Are you using money as a scapegoat for something else. Hate comes from ignorance.
Although there is a chance some people don’t grind well with this society, and i know for a fact there are a few mountain men still around that go out into the boonies and just hang out and stuff.

Money is power, so maybe you just hate the people with the power and the way they are using their money to influence others?

If i were you, i would pick up a few financial books and read them cover to cover, (i highly reccomend ‘rich dad, poor dad’). The world of money is as facinating and exciting as any other field. Good luck :slight_smile:

Shaykai

I agree. Money gives me power and freedom to do enjoy my life to its fullest (even though I spend 18 hours a day at a computer! :beer: )

I love my job, my wife, and my money. I love life and enjoy every day of it.

So go live in your cave. You won’t be missed.

But whatever you do, deal with your issues and just be happy with them. It sounds like you need to work a few things out…

Good luck.

I personaly find NO motivation in money

The only reason I have a job is to get money, which I hate, so that I can do things that I like!

Technically, that is a motivation.

Originally posted by (…)
Technically, that is a motivation.

LOL! :scream:

It’s not ‘money’ that’s at fault here; but insecurity in peoples’ lives:
greed, selfishness and false perspectives of what power is etc. resulting from having money, or trying to get it, all add up to an effect of cumulative misery, in the (false!) eternal quest for contentment/happiness, ad infinitum… :slight_smile:

Atwooki

Bitmap, if you really did truly hate money the way you claim to, you would have long ago given up your possessions and gone to live on the street, with other people who have no money (although that isn’t their choice). But you haven’t. So I very much doubt that you really do hate it.

While I can’t say that I love money, I am thankful for the fact that I have it, especially when my bills and rent are due each month. I am not motivated by money either (and never have been), but that doesn’t mean that I hate it. It just means that I have other priorities in life that are more important to me than personal material gain.

I do however have a strong disdain for the effect that money can have on people. Money can turn the nicest people into backstabbing, hurtful (and hateful) individuals. However, that is more to do with human nature than the money itself, which really just acts as a catalyst for making people show their true natures. To them, money represents power, and it is their greed for power that makes them ugly.

You shouldn’t hate something that can make such a huge difference in peoples lives. I regularly give money to charities and people in need, because I live in a country where poverty is rife and millions of people have ended up homeless and starving due to circumstances that were totally beyond their control. These people are not looking for power, they are simply looking for food and security.

I personally work extremely hard every month for the money that I earn and am thankful for it when I get it. I live comfortably in a very nice suburb and I wouldn’t be able to do that if I didn’t have any money. I am not ashamed that I have money while I am surrounded by so much poverty, but I know that I am doing what I can to help those people who are not fortunate like me. As shallow as it sounds, I can sleep peacefully at night knowing that at least I have done what I can to alleviate other peoples suffering by giving them that one thing that can make a difference in their lives: money.

I know you are still really young so perhaps you have never been in a position where you have had to pay your own bills, and I would be willing to bet that being in that position would very likely change your perspective. If not, then by all means go live in a cave and live off the land.
But don’t go around stealing because that would certainly go against your Christian beliefs and it would cause people to lose their money. You are free to give up your own money if you hate it so much, but don’t make that decision for other people by taking theirs.

I agree with what was said by others
Money is a wonderful invention.
It’s true that money is Power’s cement, and you can hate on what values and history the power is established nowadays, but you can’t blame money for that.
You know Money is a bit like the Language, it’s a vector of information : saying you hate money because when you use it you put yourself more and more into the system is like saying you hate language because it affects the way you think - would it be better if we still spoke with shouts, like monkeys? - would it be better if we still had to trade to survive?

I’m glad I can survive almost anywhere with just a plastic card in my pocket - a plastic card which bears the information about how much work I did for the “system”

Without money would we have…?
[ul]
[li]Ferraris
[/li][li]Half Life 2
[/li][li]LOTR ROTK
[/li][/ul]

OK, I’ve been thinking about this too. I don’t have a problem at all with money. My problem lies the unethical and amoral behaviour of people who worship money and will do anything (other than act honestly and with moral integrity) to get it.

Another pet hate is people who put the cart before the horse. It makes me sick when I hear people say that a business’ purpose is “to make money”. As far as I’m concerned, that is the job of a mint. If you have a book making business, then that business’ purpose is to make books. Not money, but books.

Dude Bitmap,
If you want to do what you want then come to India!
India has people such as yourself that beleive in one’s inner self need; the soul. Ok now for me, my needs is to live a comfortable life and not stuggle too much with it. Dude these people give up all their possesions and like in ashrams - basically a place secluded from money and work and all you do is chill and meditate and stuff.
Its all up to you. But like all the people who have responded for me money is for me the means for a comfortable life.
:bowdown:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:bowdown:

So in summary, you’re a gun-toting religious fruitloop that hates all material goods and much of western culture?

Would sir like to hug a tree or go on a killing spree? Both are quite popular choices.

…hang on, guns, religion, disgruntled employee… sounds like a great computer game.

How can you be a CG Artist and not respect the awesome power of money? It will upgrade your computer to allow you more freedom in working at a faster rate, it will feed your family, it will allow you to, someday, afford the luxury of taking a vacation to [that place you’ve always wanted to visit].

Sounds like a phase to me.

You might as well listen to Keltuzar and move to India and meditate if you’re serious, or better yet hike up to Tibet and study xdugef with the monks.

Money is different things to different people. It can be meaningful–if you spend it the right way.

Some people spend money on sports cars and expensive dinners.

Some people donate it to charity.

Some people build recording studios.

Some make films.

Some take care of their family.

Some finance/support the arts.

Some go back to school to learn more stuff.

Originally posted by imashination
[B]So in summary, you’re a gun-toting religious fruitloop that hates all material goods and much of western culture?

Would sir like to hug a tree or go on a killing spree? Both are quite popular choices.

…hang on, guns, religion, disgruntled employee… sounds like a great computer game. [/B]

LOL:applause:

but Seriously…the only time I EVER really hated the whole concept of money was when I was having problems paying the rent…basically when I was poor, and eating rice and peanut butter (together).

[B]So in summary, you’re a gun-toting religious fruitloop that hates all material goods and much of western culture?

…hang on, guns, religion, disgruntled employee… sounds like a great computer game. [/B]

Better hurry up, cuzz I’m stealing that idea from you.

Originally posted by Digimatrix
[B]LOL:applause:

but Seriously…the only time I EVER really hated the whole concept of money was when I was having problems paying the rent…basically when I was poor, and eating rice and peanut butter (together). [/B]

Add some sugar to that, and throw it in the oven untill it starts to become crisp.

I’m just kidding with ya…but being poor does suck. I always tried to make the best of life…so I guess it wasn’t that bad.

:smiley: lol

Personally I like having money, It makes buying things easier… without money it’s hard to do anything,

unless you become some crazy bearded guy that lives in the hills

but Seriously…the only time I EVER really hated the whole concept of money was when I was having problems paying the rent…basically when I was poor, and eating rice and peanut butter (together).

mmm…rice and peanut butter. Lol i can remember making pizzas with toast and ketcup! ahh those where the days.

eek