orthographic to perspective view

Hi people,

I’m looking for a gentle camera animation between a perspective and orthographic view. Is there a way to do that inside Maya or do I have to do post-processing in order to achieve this “effect” ???

Thanks in advance

Leo

Hi

I dont know is this the best way but you can keyframe the focal length attribute
like from 3 to 3000.
then you have to also animate the camera position to keep the object in place…

I think you should be able to get something very close. An orthographic camera is very much like a camera infinitely far away with an infinite focal length. So a very distant camera with a very high zoom, with a little film offset and film translation( to kill unwanted perspective), should be close to orthographic. With a “little” math linking the focal length to the distance from object, to keep it same size in frame, should produce an effect of ortho to perspective animation.

hope this helps
thomas

ps I remember a thread here on cgtalk about this in the last year a half. Somebody posted a cool animation of the Escher waterfall going in and out of perspective, The above explanation is my memory of the solution. If somebody has a link to the thread (I did a search to no avail) please post it.

edit: Kojala posted before I finnished mine:)

Thanks for the fast answer!!!

I just had to animate the (in my case) y-axis and the focal lenght and match the graphs in the graph-editor and the frame didn’t moved!

As long as the camera isn’t moving this works perfect! But unfortunately the camera is rotating, so when the camera starts translating in y direction I don’t have any control on what is seen in the frame… but then I just connected a camera-aim and now it should work properly.

thank you guys! :slight_smile:

BTW 3ds Max has a “zolly” type control that adjusts dolly and zoom simultaneously… it’s called “Perspective.” It should be easy to implement that sort of thing in Maya using Set Driven Key or expressions.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.