Organic Modeling Video Tutorial Series

[u][b]Organic Modeling Video Tutorials

[/b][/u][left]Hello all,
I’ve been working on some video tutorials for 3D Studio Max which goes over the organic modeling process I used to create the above model. I still have a few to upload, but the “meat” of the tutorial is up. Reference images provided by Richard at 3D.SK a great resource for organic modeling.

The technique used for modeling here is a bit different from traditional methods. We will exploit a little bug/feature of Max to avoid the sometimes confusing task of converting a box into flowing organic topology. Feel free to post suggestions/requests.

You can find this as well as the beginnings of a 101 series on Max at my resource site (listed below). Don’t feel obligated to become a member since all downloads are readily available to all users. Only join if you would like to add to the resources.

Resource Site:
http://forums.ego-farms.com

(note: you will need Quicktime 7.0.3 or higher to view the videos)

Have Fun! :smiley:
[/left]

i can’t dl them…it just never loads

just out of curiosity, why has no one responded to this thread?

Hmmm…I just tried it and it seemed to work. Try right-clicking on the links and saving them to your computer. Unfortunately, the videos currently aren’t setup for streaming so they have to download completely before playing. Depending on the server load and your connection speed, this could take awhile.

As for people not responding, I dunno. Plenty of views and downloads, but I hoping no news is good new. :wink:

Thanks for checking them out!

Nice stuff. Thanks for sharing. Any chance the following piece will be uploaded?
Part 07 - Extending a Model with Primitives

Keep up the good work!

I hope to get to part 7 tonight and probably start with the texture painting portion too. Thanks for checking them out! :slight_smile:

awesome, man…
thanks for sharing such an indepth approach.

Hey There,

These are great, just what the doctor ordered :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the hard work and for sharing them for the great price of FREE

Cheers

Nice tutorials, the topology lines setup part especially.

I’d like to experiment with a real model and do the topology lines directly to the models face with a pen, so that the topology lines would perfectly match in both views.:smiley:

But the question…
When you do the unwrapping with the non-smoothed mesh, how can i apply it to work on the smoothed version. What i have experienced, is that if you unwrap a mesh and add geometry to it afterwards, the whole unwrap messes up.

I did’nt watch the whole tutorial tough :slight_smile: so i don’t know if you only intended to show the basic principle with low-poly.
But if not, then how?

Thanks for the feedback, glad you like them! :slight_smile:

fossa: depending on what you need to do with the UVs. Often UVs are left for the very end after all your modeling is done. What you see in the pic above is from the unwrapped lowpoly model. If you subdivide your model after you unwrap it, the UV coordinates get interpolated and averaged out for the new faces you generated.

However, if you need to add additional geometry, or move some edges around after you’ve setup your UVs, it get’s a little trickier. First, if you’re just modifying the existing edges or maybe using some of the edit tools to add a few more, then you can turn on “Perserve UVs” in the Edit Geometry rollout of EditPoly. When this is on, Max will try to preserve your UV coordinates as you add more detail to your object. Now, if you add/remove entire faces, you have to jump back into Unwrap UVW and reassign the UVs for the newly created faces.

Again, if you save your final UV work until after your modeling is done, you shouldn’t run into too many problems with rogue UVs. :slight_smile:

cheers mate this is an excellent contribution to the community.:thumbsup:

Part 7 of the tutorial is now up in case anyone was looking for that one. It goes over extending the face using a primitive (a sphere) to speed up the modeling process a little. It also goes into some quick topology guidelines for making the neck. I hope to get the beginings of texture painting done this weekend. Enjoy!
Danny: Thanks! I really appreciate it. :beer:

Mhm, I can’t play the movies :frowning: There is always an error -.- What can I do?

What player do I need?

greetings

You’ll need Quicktime 7.0.3 or higher to play the videos. If you’re still having trouble viewing, try right-clicking and saving it to your computer then running it from there. Let me know if this doesn’t work. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tutes Eric, im currently downloading now as I type , it sounds quite good.

http://forums.ego-farms.com/index.php
is a very good site,i just joined it,
i hope more will soon,
Chris^_^

Thanks! Glad you like it. I’m hoping to do a few more videos this weekend (if my voice cooperates). :slight_smile:

yeah its a great forum for 3d resources so everyone participate! :thumbsup:

Pretty cool tutorials. I only saw one video though. The modeling looks very clean, but they go too slow for my tastes (unless you are aiming at an audience who has no prior experience with 3ds max).

Thanks everyone for the support and checking them out. :slight_smile:

That’s one of the problems with video tutorials, there’s really only one pace. :confused: One of the reasons the videos go a little slower and spell everything out, even though this is an advanced topic, is for those who can’t fit Max + the video on screen at the same time. I don’t always succeed, but I try to avoid “click on this button to…” and do things like “under Edit Edges on the right hand side, click on the little button next to Extrude to…” :slight_smile:

Thanks again all. New ones coming up soon. :slight_smile:

Great tutorial! It explains A LOT of things very well.
I’m looking forward to your next tutorials. :slight_smile:
Keep it up! :wink: