Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Hals, Waterhouse, Velazquez, and Leighton - 018

Thanks Rebbeca for puting my painting on front page :slight_smile:

Exellent job everybody…:slight_smile:

Womball,

As I mentioned on your Anatomy Thread, I think this is looking good! Just keep pushing the values around and making constant adjustments, and, if need be, throw a darker layer on top and rework your lights. Keep up the good work. :slight_smile:

Warhead82,

You’re welcome! :slight_smile: Feel free to update your picture and post it here ~ I’ll swap out the SPOTLIGHT thread image if you do ~ even if no longer front paged, the thread will get views, so it’s best to have your best work there. Look for the next OFDW in August! :slight_smile:

mazalo,

You’re most welcome, you did an amazing job! It would be great if you could link a hi~res version of your image here, so I can add that to the SPOTLIGHT thread sometime tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak: Sweet, that sounds awsome! I think i will do that. I will post as soon as i can. Thanks again!

~JB

Here it is rebecca…is this high enough…?

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g93/mazalo/Hals_Davidenkofinishedforcg.jpg

Warhead82,

No problem! :slight_smile:

mazalo,

Thanks, that’s been added as a link to the SPOTLIGHT page. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Indeed… thanks for facilitating this thread. It’s a great idea and I’m happy to have participated. I, too, am honored to be on the spotlight page. Keep up the good work!

chisheng,

You’re welcome! Thank you for participating! :slight_smile:

Everyone,

Since OFDW 019 will not start til after August 4th, 2006, I’ve created this new thread to make it easier to hear about new OFDWs and other Tutorials / Workshops here on the Forum:

>>Notification of New Open Figure Drawing Workshops / + TUTORIALS - SUBSCRIBE HERE!<<

[left]If you go to that thread and subscribe, I’ll post notices of new Tutorials and Workshops, including new OFDWs. Make sure you’re User CP is set up to receive email notifications. Please note that you must be at least a free CGTalk member to subscribe to a thread.

Hope this makes things easier! :slight_smile:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak
[/left]

I appologize. I put all my art on hold. The tour de france has started and I am up late every night catching up with my favs. I have been slowly picking away at Flaming June. I hope to finish it this month. Later!

Here is my latest painting. I have been on Halo2 to much and stopped painting for a while.

Sorry I havent been participating very much lately. This one was a bit of a quicky, about 2 hours total. I have a tutorial vid I put together which I’ll be posting later today. Rendering two hours worth of vid sucks btw. Luckily, I managed to speed up the vid and condense the session to 12 minutes. Will be posting shortly :slight_smile: - J

Hi folks,

Here is the tutorial video as promised:

*EDIT: Looks like the file I uploaded to my server is corrupt. Will upload later this afternoon - J

Mecha! That’s an awesome painting, and I can’t wait to see your video tut! Thanks a lot, my friend! :slight_smile:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Thanks Rebecca :slight_smile:

Well, finally got it encoded properly. I set up both a low and high bandwidth file… they are both pretty clean but the high bandwidth one makes it easier to see what I’m doing. This is a two hour video condensed into 12 minutes. Have a peek and let me know what you all think! - J
[center]
[/center]

MHC OFDW018 video tut - low bandwidth (13 MB .mov)

MHC OFDW018 video tut - high bandwidth (40 MB .mov)

Joel! That is awesome! Additionally, I have some good news that I will email you about. :wink:

One thing I do have to say ~ I do think it’s better to eyeball colors rather than to select from the original source. I really do feel strongly that this teaches you much more in the way of choosing and combining colors. :slight_smile:

That being said, I am really pleased that you put so much effort into making this and making it available to us ~ please feel free to create a separate Tutorial Thread here on the Tutorials and Workshops forum, and to title it:

TUTORIAL - what it’s about - by your name / username

Once you’ve done that I’ll add your Tutorial to the notifications thread so that people might be made aware of your efforts. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot Joel! You rock! :thumbsup:

Cheers, :slight_smile:

~Rk

Joel! That is awesome! Additionally, I have some good news that I will email you about.

Word!:thumbsup:

One thing I do have to say ~ I do think it’s better to eyeball colors rather than to select from the original source. I really do feel strongly that this teaches you much more in the way of choosing and combining colors.

Wont argue with you there. I’m usually pretty good at choosing colors when doing personal work but if its a figure study, I’m one lazy bastard! Definitely need to kick my butt in gear… I’ll give it a shot in the next OFDW!

That being said, I am really pleased that you put so much effort into making this and making it available to us ~ please feel free to create a separate Tutorial Thread here on the Tutorials and Workshops forum, and to title it:TUTORIAL - what it’s about - by your name / usernameOnce you’ve done that I’ll add your Tutorial to the notifications thread so that people might be made aware of your efforts.

No sweat on the tutorial :slight_smile: I had fun doing it but theres no need to post it in the tutorial section. This was more to see if I could actually pull it off and the beginning of what I hope to be a video tutorial section on my site. I was just happy that it came out ok and that I didnt screw things up! I’m telling you, video editing/encoding is a whole 'nother monster. :argh:

LOL ~ no problem. :slight_smile: I’ll just post a link to the specific post here. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Done ~ I’ve added a link to your post containing the Video Tutorial here:

Notification of New Open Figure Drawing Workshops / + TUTORIALS - SUBSCRIBE HERE!

I hope you don’t mind, I’ve edited your post with the video links by adding the image, so that people would know what the Tutorial was about. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Cheers,

~RK

I thought this painting was so fun to study and a real amazing painting just to view. I think the painting took me about four hours or so. I was constantly pulled away from the computer for something or another. So I had to refocus my thoughts when I got back to working on the piece, but I think right now I’ll go paint a lighthouse or something. Of course critiques are welcome.

Flydesign,

Hey there, nice to see your piece. :slight_smile: A few comments might be that the overall piece seems a bit undersaturated. I think you need a broader range of darks and lights. Also, I think the overall figure is a bit squashed - which is frankly an easy fix if you simply scale the figure a bit vertically. Overall I think this is a good basis for a more finished painting. I think that you could push it much further if you wished to do so. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

Big thanks on your reply Rebeccak! I agree that the figure was a little squashed, the orginal piece has better perspective of the figure for some reason. I posted the piece on photobucket and notice the change. I don’t no if it’s something I did or how the piece was posted, but down the line it’s an easy fix with the transform tool. Good tip on the colors, I’ll keep that in mind for the next piece I post.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.