Oldest animation discovered. . .

. . on a 5200 year old goblet in Iran.

http://timpanogos.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/worlds-oldest-animation-5200-years-old/

Would this be C.G. (ceramic graphics)? Yes, bad joke, but I couldn’t resist.

It’s very off model throughout the animation, the motion is off the arc and it has no sense of weight.

:wink:

heh, cool… i agree with above post. :stuck_out_tongue:

i saw it in a musuem some days ago,but watching it in real motion like that was fun

How come the background is perfectly still?

its the worlds oldest gif animation! We found this gif on an ancient mesapotamium website dated 10,000 BC…The site was all HTML with a single image and this image was an animated gif of a goat jumping up a tree! AMAZING DISCOVERY!

Fantastic find. Kudos to the poster for sharing this great piece of animation history… makes me want to do some googling on old school animations

But unless you see the optical illusion of motion created by the images moving in sequence, wouldn’t the depiction of a series of images suggesting motion be more similar to sequential art?

The desire and intent is the same, to convey motion, but the results are vastly different. And I would say animation is more described in the result rather than the intent. Not trying to put down my 5200 year old brethren; just interested. Semantics may be the culprit here, though.

Could the bowl spin, and by holding your palm cupped into a hole, you might get the animation? Like a reverse zoetrope?

Mahlon

We all know about primitive (pre-historic) cave paintings showing animals in different phases of a running. Maybe not in a sequence mode, sure not animation… but these works aim the same purpose of the animation art itself: an attempt of catching the movement of the living creatures… and so… the life.

BTW, what do yo think when you look at this work:

Paolo Uccello (1397-1475) :eek:

Nice paramatization :wink: Worlds first revolve shape!!

Does it mean the teapot should be replaced? :wink:

OK, this is getting creepy and weird. Next you’ll be telling us that there was a kind of primitive Siggphraph conference in the 7th century or something.

Maybe it is just human nature. Even if society would be destroyed, we’ll be reinventing the same technologies on the long run. For example, around the time of the crusades, the Arab phylosophers/ scientist were theorizing that the splitting of an atom would release enough energy to destroy several city blocks. Of course the culture was oblitirated by the Tartars/ Mongols and crusaders, but the same concepts was reinvented centuries later.

I’ve read some claim that an old egyptian temple has some sequential images behind a row of pillars and that if you ride by in your chariot there’s a zoetrope effect that creates animation out of it.

But I’ve never seen the actual images and, of course, my chariot is in the shop right now…

here’s how (and what) the cavemen animated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oRrjYfTg5g&feature=related

(warning-- cave nudity)

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.