Octane 2019 experimental build - sample images

I don’t recall there ever being such a limitation. Octane does default to a low resolution for c4d textures but it’s one click to change.

As always, I enjoy viewing your work! Thanks for the link.

Interesting that you moved from VRAY to it’s GPU brother, Corona. Welcome to the GPU world of rendering!

I’m welcome for you to convince me that Corona is better. You’ll have to bring some muscle to do so. Pretty pictures won’t convince. Frankly with your witchcraft you could achieve results like that w/any of the major renderers.

@IceCaveMan : Corona is still CPU, just easier to use than Vray.

@Priest: You’ll get praises, sorry lad. Great work.

Well thanks. If you care to read, I can explain why I moved away from my beloved VRay; albeit temporarily.

VRay started giving me a headache in the last few releases (both Laub version and new Chaos group), a headache that I seem to be largely alone with. The more complex the scene, the longer it takes to quickly quit out of it during test renders… I’m talking 1-2 minutes to be restored back to the editor view to continue working. If I render high res light cache passes (4000 samples plus), I can quit out of this instantaneously, but if the process has moved to IR pass or final render, quitting the render is painfully slow.

Corona (as EricM says, is CPU based) does the same thing as VRay, but faster, without the headaches and with some nifty time saving features, such as throwing in 20 lights into a scene with a default value or 1 and then being able to fine tune their intensities and color on the fly. Not sure if VRay has this, or makes this process easy, but in Corona it’s two clicks and you’re there.

On the Octane vs Redshift front, I feel both are fun, but neither are truly production ready. Redshift has pulled ahead in terms of its usability and popularity for me and will likely get more attention in the coming years. I don’t love either for personal reasons, but have been forced to use Redshift in a production environment 3 times this year. Plus with Maxon’s acquisition, it seems the more logical choice moving forward. One to learn, even if I’m opposed to its professional use, due to perceived limitations.

Yes you can do that also in Vray but not directly inside the software, you will need PS, Affinity, Nuke or whatever you prefer:

It should be integrated in the UI for the next big release.

I think it’s a bit funny that VRAY needed to buy another renderer and that Corona was desperate to be bought (for a song). But look…I know it’s easy to overlook great technology…I concede. Maybe this is all great stuff.

Back to Octane 2019…the topic of this thread…in coming days I hope to post test renders of other new features:
-Thin wall
-OSL shaded volumes
-AI upsampling
-Complex Layered materials
maybe more…

Bring them on! I’ve downloaded 2019, but I’m sacred to use it on a job - how’s the stability?

Stability for an experimental release isn’t bad. No not production ready yet. I just swap 2018 and 2019.1exp out through the day.

By the very nature of vertex displacement (demo’d above) you must take care as a user to enter coherent values. It can subdivide to insane levels and if you combine that, say with a c4d modifier that is also displacing values…you can overwhelm your computer.

But it’s easy to dial the value up down (0-7). And of course the old displacement option is still there.

Overall…I’d guess a stable release is minimum, two months away. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was 4.

I had to inquire on Otoy forum how to use Thin Wall material option. Apparently it is available only w/Universal materials.

Here’s result, compared to standard specular material.

Here is Thin Wall with FilmLayer and then w/Dispersion

W/Transmission

W/Absorption Medium - makes sense that the thin wall looks unchanged.

IOR of 2.5

Here are two identical images. Kinda.

The first is rendered standard @31 seconds.

2nd image took 12 seconds, acheived by rendering at half size and upscaling via AI.

For rapid comp work, one could set the max samples down and also use upscaling. This was 3 seconds.

All 3 of these samples are using the Pathtracing kernel, which isn’t as fast as the Direct Lighting option. However this image has some subsurface sampling that doesn’t work well in that mode. 3 seconds for SSS comp render, not bad.

Just messing around … some fireflies in render.

Playing w/mixed materials. Thin wall glass for panes and standard specular glass for frame.

Prior to 2019 Octane has already had mixed materials.

A simple mix material might not sound interesting, until you consider how you might mix them.

Here are the options:
-Simple percentage mix
-Modulated via a texture or noise
-Modulated via OSL
-Modulated via “Dirt”, which is a bit like an ambient occlusion mask
-Via Falloff, which here means an angle relative to camera or world.

Simple Sample of Dirt/AO modulation:

More interesting example with a texture in one of the materials:

More in a moment…

Fall off Examples:

Simple:

More interesting with texture:

Here the work was without benefit of UV maps or even refinement of projection, the lack of which cause striation/stretching.

g’night.

Loving the jelly snakes!

Octane 2018 also has sheen and other options for layering. And that’s when OSL landed more fully. Here render-master Raphael Rau shows a custom OSL shader for car material.

Octane 2019.1 expands layer mixing in ways I’m still exploring.