- Occlusion

I remember seeing posts about a better way to do occlusion passes in LW, so I made a simple, little shader script to deal with this called QOcclusion.

Simply add it to your surface(s) and render with Ray Trace Reflection checked and Ray Recursion Limit at 2.

Download: http://vwdesign.hypermart.net/Downloads/

You’re becoming quite the script monkey. Are you cooking up anything else script-wise?

I have a few scripts I have been working on (ran into some bugs an am slowly working them out).

Compiled?
Darn it…I was hoping to checkout the guts…:scream:

Oh well…:wavey:

Thanks CIM!

Well this is what I got out of it…
Layered the QOcllusion pass over the regular pass and it brought out some highlights and cool things the regular lacks.
I dont know if this is what its for.Its probrably for compositing all the differant passes like rgb and such but I can other uses for it.

Put occlusion layer above the regular one, set it to Multiply, and turn down Opacity until things look good to you.

Ok …Multiply.
I used Normal.
Thanks again.

OK- dumb question…

What is occlusion?

heyThe link is dead…anybody catch this one.

Ooo, nice one, but the link’s dead still.

l&r,
Micah

WOuld love to have that !

The link isnt dead, its just Occluded. :slight_smile:

Abandon ware.

CIM-ware.

At least he made an effort (sort of).

HA!HA! this has made me laugh.

Gerardo

Isn´t a dumb question at all.
In this case there are two ways to interpreting the word occlusion: can be obstruction (of light) or absorption (of light) although both cases are applicable to the concept (one by addition and the other one by subtraction) I prefer to interpret it as absorption.
Then basically the ambient occlusion, is a technique to determine the quantity of light absorption of each specific area on a surface. Is said ambient occlusion map, when this is made through normal/vector texture maps (commonly applied in difuse channel) and ambient occlusion pass, when is used multilayering render, making a renderpass (usually with raytrace, radiosity or even deph-maps) or through shaders.
The result is a more realistic aspect since emulates the shady of environmental lighting.
The methods to achieve it, are diverse and they vary depending on software possibilities and genius of artists and programmers, you can even achieve respectable results with spinning lights.
A technique (already old) for PRenderman that I would like to be applied in LW is this:

http://www.andrew-whitehurst.net/amb_occlude.html

I wonder how to make it in LW…

Gerardo

Edit: To avoid confusions, I should clarify that absorption quantity (or light obstruction) represented in a map or passing, isn´t due to surface properties “per se”, but to direction (angle) and light quantity in relation to a specific surface area.

Upsss! double post :shrug:

I got the script - who wants it?

Just mail me at johan@bigtime.se

Ninjaman

Does anybody know what happened with this Script? It seems very useful but the link continues broken. :hmm: CIM?

Gerardo

I sent a note across to johan (ninjaman) and once he sends me the script
I’ll be happy to host it on my site for anyone else who needs it.

AF