Nodevember

This is a heads up for Cycles4D users who may be interested in Nodevember a Blender community instigated Twitter hashtag where users are showcasing their procedural shading skills.

Many users are sharing their node setups as images and blend files so you should have no problem recreating in Cycles4D. There are some amazing setups on display that make me want to up my nodal shading skillz.

Each day has a different theme, today’s Reptile and yesterday’s was Snow and Ice. They’ve done Tornado and Lava shaders earlier too.

Even if you’re not a Cycles4D user there’s inspiration and techniques to borrow for the renderer you do use.

Search for #nodevember and #nodevember2019

Some good accounts to follow:
@nodevemberIO
@chiu_hans
@100drips
@simonthommes
@faaaaark
@bayultra

Posting this because it’s insane.

If Insydium featured this stuff they could drive more customers to Cycles4D.

Hi,
I’m amazed too. There are so many inspiringly smart people in the Blender world. It’s just fun to watch them.
Cycles and Eevee work just like my brain works. Everything is pretty straight forward and logic.

cheers

celke

I wasn’t all that impressed with Cycles4D when I tried several years ago. But…

Blender’s Cycles is having a lot of performance tweaks added which should speed up rendering and not just with RTX hardware. I would expect these tweaks will trickle through to Cycles4D.

I have been testing Blender Cycles with the Intel denoiser and I’m amazed by the quality and if you just use the denoiser to get rid of fine noise it’s stable enough for animations. The render times are not a million miles away from Redshift for a similar quality.

If there are Cycles4D users here get all over to #nodevember2019 as there’s some serious knowledge being dropped.

Yes, in the beginning Cycles was slow and rough on the edges. But I always liked the concept of the Open Shading Language, which was introduced with Blender 2.65.
At the current pace of development, Cycles will be one of the top renderers in the near future.

cheers

celke

There’s no doubt we’re living in a golden age of 3rd party renderers, there’s something for everyone CPU or GPU.

Redshift had a very big lead on performance because their own CUDA based tracing code was head and shoulders faster than anyone else’s. Redshift barely gets any improvement with RTX hardware which is testament to what great code they have.

With RTX and the Intel denoiser it has meant other renderers, like Cycles, catching up to Redshift. I’m using the Intel denoiser like the Redshift adaptive sampler just to clean up the last few percent of noise.

Cycles4D users might not know about E-Cycles, this is a highly optimised version of Cycles developed by a 3rd party which is nearly 2x as fast as the standard Cycles in Blender. These optimisations will be added to the internal Blender build in due course, they’re running a year behind E-Cycles to give the developer a chance to make some money from his work.

So with E-Cycles optimisations and RTX Cycles4D will be worth another look, it’s a lot cheaper than Redshift, virtually half the price and will in due course close the gap on Redshift’s speed. Knowing what I know now I would get Cycles4D instead of Redshift and have much better XP integration and save a few quid as well.

Here’s the E-Cycles doc’s to give you an idea what might come to Cycles4D in the future. I’m certainly not speaking for Insydium but the logical conclusion is if this is going into future Blender Cycles it’ll come to Cycles4D at some stage too. https://blendermarket.com/products/e-cycles/docs

Cycles 4D is still rough, I had given up on it because some scenes crashed even before render, the IPR was really slow, and was very frustated about it. It has improved, but is not in the same league of Redshift / Arnold.

Sadly, e-cycles isnt available for C4D. And it also have some issues, not sure why the developer isn’t hired by Blender Foundation, though. Im using more Blender than C4D these days, but sometimes I miss the drag and drop nature of C4D that makes the workflow so damn fast, but right now -for me- modeling an artwork > motion graphics / everyday random crap, so im sticking with Blender.

As a personal note, if Maxon improves dramatically modeling, viewport speed enhancements, and overall performance, it should be the holy grail of 3D apps, sadly it doesnt seem they want that, and to be honest, the developers who are clear about their objectives, talk to the community often and have a developer blog of every week 2.8, 2.81 and 2.82 improvements, arent the ones from Maxon.