Node materals Uber Mat

Ok well be careful what you wish for. I am trying to migrate to Uber materials and I have to say the ‘flexibility’ is pretty much ridiculous. There are 42 nodes (not counting sub nodes) under Math alone.
Great. So…anyway two things. How do I apply a gradient in a linear fashion? Blue at 0 feet and green at 100 feet - height or y direction. Can somebody spell out how gradients work as they relate to world coordinates? Second, variation… how or where would the old Variation be applied say to a parent with a dozen child objects underneath. Thanks so much for the input! Also if anyone has any good links to uber mat tutorials, please pass along. Cheers ,D

Please find attached an example scene on how to control a gradient via the distance between camera and rendered position.
This ha snothing to do with the ube rmaterial though, it is a basic nodal setup that can be used in many situations.
DistanceGradient.zip (60.2 KB)

O my goodness thank you!!! I am wrestling with the uber materials now to try to understand.

Question 2: If I have a layer with two colors how would I add a mask layer? I don’t see that option anymore. Can you te4ll me what would be a FUSION equivalent in the Uber mat? THANK YOU so much! So appreciated!!

I would do masking via the alpha channel. Find attached a simple example where the checkerboard shader replaces the noise within the area of the circles.
MaskingWithAlpha.zip (74.6 KB)

Again, thank you!!! I really want to keep up with the evolution of material making but there are so many possibilities now. Really appreciate the help! Cheers!

ok last one … Variation substitute… What nodes do I use if I want to vary the color of several objects in a scene or as children under a null. Shuffle?? What nodes would be used in the color space?

Say 8 cubes all slightly varying in color. Keep in mind I am actually doing this in UBER materials. I have reverse engineered your past files haha! Thanks again!

Please clarify what you mean by Uber materials.
The Uber material for the new node materials is meant as a replacement for the old standard material and everyone who prefers to not rely on nodes any more than absolutely neccesary.
All my examples so far make no use at all of the uber material but are very simple and straight forward node materials.
The simplest option is the Multi Shader node. It will assign one of the created colors to the objects it is assigned to. The Multi Shader node is an asset that you can edit to see how it works.

Hey Srek, Well what I mean is that I am starting a material with the Uber material. Generally speaking I am staying away from the Node editor - in an attempt to familiarize myself with this new material approach. So I start with an Uber Mat then click a squiggle and add say a color node etc. Note sure how smart of an approach that is but I am trying to keep things less intimidating. Really appreciate the help. With all of this flexibility and power does come with some additional complexity and learning. I will start digging into the Multi Shader and thanks again for your time and help!!

Node materials aren’t realy difficult. The Uber Material introduces a lot of complexity to recreate the old material, you don’t need that complexity all the time. Don’t hesitate to dive in the node editor, it makes many things much clearer than an uber material approach.