NG-NoPlugin.ls released!

Okay, you all are going to think I’m nuts for having the audacity to call this a useful plugin. Heh. However, I think once you hear what drove me to write this, you’ll understand.

First off, it’s 1am in the morning, I’m tired. Secondly, I’ve just switched to a new laptop to do my work on. It’s a Toshiba Tablet PC. (M-200, to be more specific. I know some of you are curious about Tablet PCs, feel free to fire away questions.) Toshiba, in their infinite wisdom, put the tilde key RIGHT NEXT to my spacebar. :banghead: So, frequently, I go to rotate my model, and I end up drawing a curve right across the viewport. :banghead: :banghead:

It’s simple enough for me to remap this keyboard. Problem is, I keep hitting this key elsewhere and not getting the desired effect. So I’m trying a Pavlovian study to see if I can train myself to stop hitting that key and, instead, move one over so I’m hitting the Alt-key. So… I wrote an Lscript that simply throws up an error message that says “There is no plugin here, move along”. I figure if I keep bumping into that, eventually I’ll learn to hit the right key.

So, here it is:

http://www.nanogator.com/ng-noplugin/NG-NoPlugin.LS

This is a VERY simple LScript. Even if you’ve never messed with LScript in your life, it’s pretty easy to open up in Notepad and change the message to whatever you want to say. just add it like you would any other program and map it to whatever key that you find pesters you. With any luck, it’ll train you to stop using it. If not, then … well I’m sorry I wasted your time.

Enjoy, or ignore. It’s not like I spent more than 2 minutes on it. :slight_smile:

if you compile it, maybe you can sell it. :wink:

Hehe. I imagine my boss’ll have a chuckle at that comment. We read your site a coupla weeks ago about that. :wink:

BTW, did you end up compiling all your LScripts, or do you have a few available that don’t? I wouldn’t mind grabbing them and looking at the code. Learnt a lot that way lately.

HAHAHAA…

I just got the same laptop and was cursing their wacky key placement. I can actually use this!!!

I’m so far loving it (tablet) with zBrush and for working with the drag tool.

I set that mini joy stick’s arrows to be a Ctrl+Shft so that I can access the right and left click buttons in tablet mode.

This only works on the arrows since the other buttons only act as a single click or do other functions when held too long.

How have you changed your seup to work with the tablet mode?

wow. i wrote that more than a year ago. :slight_smile:

BTW, did you end up compiling all your LScripts, or do you have a few available that don’t? I wouldn’t mind grabbing them and looking at the code. Learnt a lot that way lately.
no. some are still open. but they’re not readily publicly available. :slight_smile:

Hehe.

I haven’t changed the tablet buttons yet. When I get a little deeper into it I’ll go there, in the mean time LW’s being used the way I’d normally use it with a mouse. One of these days I may investigate making LW more tablet friendly. Unfortunately, though, I can’t see it being more productive than with the mouse. If you were to watch me use my mouse, you’d see I make very minute adjustments, as opposed to having to fly 12 inches to get from one end of the screen to the other. I am, though, doing more screen caps and sending to Photoshop to conceptualize ideas before modelling them. Not fun via ordinary tablet.

It is kinda nice doing some minor mucking about while the TabletPC is in slate mode. Argh, that stupid tilde key.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.