New Official Silo Forum Home

Hi guys,

Jamchild (Tom) from Nevercenter here. As we’ve posted over at silo3d.com, we’ve decided to archive the forum there and leave it up as a static resource and make this Silo forum on CGTalk the new official Silo forum. We think this will work out better since Silo is made to be used in a multi-software workflow, and since we’re really not very good at running a forum ourselves (we’re a company of introverts). I’ll reiterate what Feed said on the old Silo forum - we love you guys and are really proud of the Silo community.

• Jamchild (and Feed and Presque)

Maybe it was the maintenance of the forum that took it’s toll on you guys? Because you did little else in that place the last few years. Well, I doubt moving it here is going to improve on things…except giving you even more time to do nothing with Silo, that is…
:smiley:

And I thought this was the place where app related subforums “came to die”?

Well the only good news is the old forum is still going to be active for another two weeks.

And no need to reiterate…you have shown how “proud” you are by your treatment of the community. Action speaks louder than words :rolleyes:

This forum will work well. Silo is such an intuitive and speedy program to use. Thanks to the developers for a program that will be continually useful for years to come.

Hopefully moving to this site is sending the slowly fading Silo community a signal that you’re back in development?!

Yes? or are we getting our hopes up in vain?

Sharing your overall development plans for Silo with a community that has stood by your product for years and years is, in my opinion, the least you can do in return.

Thanks, and good luck! Here’s hoping…

jam, i wanted to say thanks for letting silo die…

Damn shame. Kinda figured Silo would go tits up one day. Well, I still have my my other soft. just have to scratch Silo off my top Five. :hmm: Nevercenter…Ironic.

im new for silo, and new for siloforum too…

my question is, if forumusers were asked paying a2-5 dollar per month membership… i would pay…
i say yes… so forum could be recovered before hundred of old user migth dont want new password, dont want to looking for old locked posts…
cutted to half discussions…

i was never a good bussinessman… i see one thing sharply… this is just doesnt work
on cgtalk the different forums for different programs madeof users, whos by any reason dont wanted to use the original developers forum…
3dstudio has autodesk forum… official…
http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/

we all know serious reason, if a user migth not prefer the official 3dsforum…

but that reason is not here…

just talking aboutmyself… i didnt read the user guide yet of silo :frowning:
dont even the great book by antony ward…

but ifound very helpful people, and those folks migth dont come back… they have their daily life… if they want to be member to the cgsociety they will sign up…

imagine youre in a good friends company… on a weekend at your friend house
in the midlle of a goodtheme…

suddenly you have to stop the discussion, and go over 3block in an another place…
i couldnt continue what i started to talk…
probably just go at home…

the program is great,and will live without support… i just feel sorry about a good palceclosed up…

i tried to post… and it disappeared…
are we under some control?

first of, im new for silo and i wasnew for silo forum… but i found good people here… now they looks disappearing…

so… what i tried to concern about… i feel a little like im at a party at my friends house…
and in the middle of the party suddenly everyone needs togetup and go…

over three block… doyou all think we couldcontinue adiscuss where we left? i thinki couldjust go at home…

people who madeposts, topics suddenly cutted of to continue or editing their topics…

on that forum was several artist… will they register here?

i believe, users, i dont know how many was really active, with a low monthly fee could keep alive that forum on their own…
still i think it couldbe saved…

but as i said imjust a beginner

I haven’t used Silo in a pretty good while, but you guys are a little harsh. I mean for a modeler Silo is a pretty stable, fast and a compact specific purpose tool that doesn’t need the level of development a lot of other tools have needed because they’ve branched into areas way outside of modeling. The only thing I would like to see them add, which they alluded to developing a good while back, is a basic skeleton rigging tool for posing.

i just hoping the old forum will be reopened…

crazy funny statement nevercenter…
few years late…

I’m sadden by this turn of event. I didn’t even know this cgtalk forum existed. As one of the creators of the softimage XSI user interface, I’ve used Silo a bit in my spare time (unfortunately ran into some stability issues…) and I liked going to silo3d.com every week or so to see what’s going on. (Not much in the last few month, however.)

The concept of a simplified Zen modeling app is an interesting idea incubator, even though the market for that sort of thing may not actually exist in reality. And there is certainly a point where going to the next step is a whole other level of complexity.

I think with the recent release of Pixar’s OpenSubDiv, and the ease to integrate Autodesk FBX in any app, there was an opportunity to inject some updates into Silo without “jumping the shark”.

It’s ok to not see if it’s worth to continue development… I have told users when I stepped away from developing Softimage’s built-in compositor.

i believe silo could stand on its feet…
i used -learned approximately 2 year another modeler program… that was great… however very restrictive on geometry…
despite it said everywhere easy to use, a lot harder to get geometry working with that…

im talking here about woodcarvings… when i lay out with silo a carvings or other model, i have immediately all vector ready for outline, for locating toolpaths, i can slice models, or even dismantling limbs from a human model and make ready for milling…

years before when i started looking for this setup, the accessible programs were cost from 10K to up… today i can make it with silo even i can find free cam…

what really missing here i think a more active own forum… what just closed up…
just look for what dasch posted at last… the next thing people using for that is rhino or other programs… all of them cost several times more than silo…
so why this forum had to be closed…

i know exactly if it will not be restored, then a while later the ““archived”” forum will be shut down permanently “”“due to lack of interest”"

im very sad…

and some question about this idea…
if someone goback to the archived forum, and find some tutorial or just some tip, that one canty ask on that specified topic…
so i think it also wont help …

It is somewhat sad; Silo3d was usually my first port of call once settled at my desk; though it hasn’t exactly been a hive of activity for a while.

You can post your questions here and hope someone is watching :slight_smile:

don’t make this go down the drain.Get some projects out there.

“…we’re really not very good at running a forum ourselves…”?!? That’s probably one of the stupidest comments I’ve ever heard! A forum practically runs itself driven by the community that is interested in the software. What I believe yoiu mean is that you’re not very good at running a business.

Silo is without-a-doubt, one of the easiest to use 3D SDS modeling programs I have ever seen. Your lack of updates and support for this software in favor of your ‘other’ products seems to be a shame. I think you probably have a lack of understanding how to market your product. I came to Silo through EIAS (Electric Image Animation System). It seems you are cut from the same cloth as that company - great software, but poor updates/support for the product. People wonder why companies like Autodesk are making big money even with their expensive subscriptions? Because it’s sometimes worth seeing a company take an interest in their own products and improve them over time.

Oh well, so ends an era.