New Mac Mini plus Nvidia eGPU viable Workstation?

Yes, once I get all the cards and everything running,I’ll do that.

Konstantinos D

Can’t wait, Konstantinos, thanks for keeping us all in the loop! :slight_smile:

Yeah the chaining aspect is interesting. I would’ve guessed on a single TB3 port you quickly run into a diminishing returns situation given that each TB3 chipset (each pairing of TB3 host ports) only has 4 PCIe lanes. At least I believe so based on the Intel literature I’ve read.

Pink I probably missed this somewhere but did you revert the 2018 mini back to 10.13.x to get this setup working, given the lack of 10.14 NVIDIA drivers? Guessing you also used one of the eGPU.io solutions. I had some luck prior to 10.14 using their EFI solution with 10x0 generation cards and 2018 MBP.

Yes, I had to unfortunately, Mojave is a no go for now, I just hope that we’ll see a surprise and the new Mac pros will include Nvidia cards natively, or it could go the other way and we’ll never see them, who knows.

Konstantinos D

Hey PiNkFlUiD, really interesting to hear what you’re doing with your setup…

You mentioned you’re using Akitio Node Pro… I was wondering whether you think daisy chaining would work if you were to connect say a Sonnet Breakaway to the Akitio Node, or whether all eGPU boxes need be of the same type…?

… just asking 'cause I was thinking of getting a second box, the Akitio, but my current box is a Sonnet, so I was asking myself whether I’d be able to daisy chain them …

Switch to PC?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work if they can be connected. My logic is that you could daisy chain up to 6 devices not 6 identical devices, but please don’t take my word for it , I’ve been wrong before…

Konstantinos D

Yes, in theory you can daisy chain any TB peripheral no matter what you plug in(eGPU, display, DAS or other).
That being said I’ve never tried this by my self using eGPU so there’s a chance it won’t work.
Better to ask on eGPU specialized forum or be prepared to return your device if not supported.

Thanks for sharing all your info! You would have a beast on your hands if all the cards work.

Do you have a thread on egpu.io? I’d love to follow your progress there too.

Just an update… I tried daisy chaining my Sonnet box to my Akitio Node Pro and for me it hasn’t worked, it just crashes the Mac every time… Not too much of a big deal for me as I can still use one of the other spare TB3 ports in the iMac pro, but for future expandability it would be good to find out why this doesn’t work… Is it the macOS-eGPU.sh script or is it the combination of different egpu boxes ??? Who knows.

The positive is that I’ve got 2x 1080Tis up and running tho’

Ok after some long wait l’ve got everything.
The bad news is that there is a limit of 4 egpus for the new MacBook Pro with touchbar 2018. So I’m left with two egpus out. The good news is that 4 work just fine so I’ve got 4x1080ti’s with an octanebench of 820. Not bad. I’ve got 5 more egpus though that are not used and I’m thinking of getting a small Mac mini to use the four as a slave. I’m just waiting for any clues from apple regarding the new Mac pros and their nvidia support going forward. If both suck then I’ll probably go back to PC for my 3d and use the Mac for music software and fun. I hope they surprise us positively.

Konstantinos D

not bad octane bench result, the average for 4 x 1080tis seems to be around 860 so you are up there with the PC brigade

That’s the only way to ensure the full 20gb bandwidth. with a passive cable. Longer passive cables will drop down to 10gb… or you need an active cable and they get pricey.