New 3D Fluff free videos

Thought I’d pull my finger out and start recording some new stuff. All free for the time being with new videos being released every few days.

http://www.youtube.com/user/3DFluff

Taking requests! just post them here and I’ll see what I can do. Broad topics or specific questions, I’ll consider anything if I can help.

Well I did mention this in another thread the other day; but how about something on the topic of settings optimization? You know, expose default settings that are rubbish, explain why they are rubbish, and offer a few options for settings that make for faster renders without sacrificing much or anything in the way of quality.

It really seems there is a need for this, especially amongst newer users.

Well I did mention this in another thread the other day; but how about something on the topic of settings optimization? You know, expose default settings that are rubbish, explain why they are rubbish,

Good idea, Ive had this one on my list but wasnt sure if many people would be interested in it

and offer a few options for settings that make for faster renders without sacrificing much or anything in the way of quality.

Would you like the moon on a stick too?

Thanks for that - very useful

How about:
glass and plastic materials - how to set up and how they are dependent on lighting and environment

BodyPaint - when should you use it? What kinds of objects can be unwrapped and what can’t? Why is the Bodypaint interface so weird?

Lighting strategies for product shots, interiors, exteriors, and outer space. I don’t mean a complete course on lighting but what kind of starting points would you suggest for each? any tips/rules of thumb?

layering materials and getting alphas to behave themselves

multipass rendering - which passes are you actually likely to need in a real world situation and how would you build a composite?

setting up GI for animation and getting a result sometime in the near future before the end of the world as we know it…

Don’t mean to overwhelm you, but these seem like things that would be useful…

I prefer my moon in pie form, actually.

Seriously though, that second suggestion was merely an extension of the first… for example, if one is using AO, the default settings aren’t great and can cause the render to take longer than it would with a few modifications that would still achieve the desired look, while making for a faster render. Or how, if one is employing caustics, disabling specular can make for much faster calculations. Or how the default spline interpolation can slow down renders (and redraw speed), especially if your scene has many splines. You know, stuff like that… I am sure there are scores of things along that line, and none of us know them all (except maybe Dr Sassi), so it is a topic which users at all levels will undoubtedly find some useful takeaway from.

Very useful tutorials,
Nice delivery style too… :thumbsup:
Please make more :slight_smile:

Cheers / Alex

Yes very usefull stuff indeed! Thanks so much for providing these!
I could use a tutorial on baking materials and lights etc. But I’ll take whatever you throw at us :thumbsup:

odo

Great tutorial on the physical render! Makes a lot more sense now. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

I will add one extra note, because an Italian slapped my wrists. The fixed render in physical does have one advantage, it renders textures slightly crisper compared to adaptive mode. So maybe don’t write it off 100%

Matthew,
Any and all contributions are always welcome, imho. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Janine,
Charming as always :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Would love to see a general modeling piece that incorporated all the various axis/snapping tools that were added in R14. Though maybe such a modeling vid should wait a few weeks for potential rejigged tools that might be found in R15, I dunno.

These new vids are much appreciated anyhow!

Thank you so much. I have only watched the first video about the physical renderer so far but I will definitely be watching the rest asap.

You have made a great contribution and filled in so many missing pieces of information.

Wonderful.

New one up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er-aabXkVLk

Another vote for this.

Hey Mathew, thanks for these. They were very well made and entertaining too. Some real good stuff. I was one of those who simply clicked on physical render and never bothered again. Maxon owes you a beer.

Thanks for these, cool videos. I use physical engine quite a bit but I’d missed automatic mode, nicely simplifies that part of the workflow.

Thanks for these, just watched the splines and settings videos and learned a lot. Great stuff.

These are fantastic tutorials. Very clear and to the point.

And yes Physical + Auto = lovely

thanks for sharing these for free…very cool of you :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Two more coming up this week, glad you’re enjoying them.

Still open to requests, Ive got a list here I’ll try to work through.