I just wanted to let you know that I have released a new version of my free python script for C4D: NeuronBuild. This script allows a C4D user (there is also a separate version for ZBrush) to import neuron morphology data from NeuroMorpho.org. It creates realistic, accurate models that you can use in your illustrations and animations, either directly or as the basis for further modelling. There are more than 100,000 entries in the NeuroMorpho repository, across numerous species and cell types.
You can learn more, and download the script at: https://github.com/NWoolridge/NeuronBuild
A video on the new features is available at: https://vimeo.com/391015129
New in this Version:
• I added options to put the model into a volume builder and volume mesher. This will simply create a single mesh that can be used for further modelling or to get better shaded results when rendering. NOTE: the resolution is set deliberately low, since the volume mesher could create many millions of polygons and potentially crash C4D if you are not careful. So, once the model is created, adjust the Voxel Size attribute of the Volume Builder object downward in increments until you are happy…
• I added the ability to create a single spline object from all the dendrites, axons, etc. (and a single rail spline as well). This can be used as a proxy for the full model, or as a path for animations of signal impulses, or in a mospline object to create growth, etc. Right now these are created outside the main hierarchy, but I may want to change this…
• I fixed an issue where astrocytes and other glia wouldn’t make a model.
• I fixed some bugs where odd combinations of the options might create weird results
Things to keep in mind:
• The detail and dimensionality of NeuroMorpho entries varies significantly, depending upon the techniques used to collect the data. Some entries result in a relatively flat, or only minimally 3-dimensional, model; this may be because the neuron itself is largely planar in structure, or because the data was collected from a single view. If you are unhappy with the morphology of a cell you downloaded, try another!
Please let me know if you have any issues, or would like things to work differently. Since it is open source, you can also contribute changes if you want!