Netrende Setup Over Internet-help Please

hi all,
here is a question to the netrenderkings;-)

i have folloing situation, for an important job i have to work outside of my office. i have a setup with netrender with 10 clients in the my office.

is it possible to setup the serverapp so that i can use “my own renderfarm”, when i am not into the office?

maybe dann stubbs-renderking, do you have some tipps?

my office is connected via an old g4 to the internet(fast cable) it has a firewall of course, which i can adjust. the server normaly is on a pc and there are 10 clients.

how can i change my setup that i can send c4d project files via the internet, let it render and get the result back via the internet? if possible i hope i do not have to change the server to the g4?.

i guess i have to route some ip’s with the firewall to the pc where the server runns, and i hope this does not open my private network to the internet.

thanks for help in advance, (as usual it is relatively urgent)…:

cheers

stefan
lllab
austria

well you can make the computer in your romote location the NET server and simply change the NET clients back in your own renderfarm to point to remote NET server. you would have to open the ports on your firewall to talk to the remote NET server.

or you could just remotely log in and upload your projects to your “office” NET server and let it render then download it to your remote location.
setting up an FTP server at your office would let you upload your projects from whereever you are - log into the NET server to start your renders - and then download the results again using FTP. this keeps the heaviest bandwidth use on your internal office network (much faster) and lets you utilize the maximum bandwidth of the WAN connection to use for FTP transfer. my farm works this way.

if you use a remote NET server to point back to your office farm - the issues you will have are the open ports on the firewall (not super serious) the huge bandwidth transfers betwen the NET clients and the remote NET server (much more of an issue) a possible timeout issue on the NET clients if bandwidth gets choked (easily adjusted in the timeout preference of the NET client)

the one small benefit of using a remote NET server with your distant “office” farm is that you can simply copy jobs locally to your NET server user folder and skip the manual upload/download using FTP - but the other bandwidth issues may come into play making this not very efficent - or not even workable.

i would opt for an automated FTP client like interarchy that can syncronize a ftp folder to a local folder on your workstation. (many RK clients do this) so they can copy jobs in and let the ftp app do the upload/download independently. or to maintain user control they do the upload and download of project folders manually but set the results folder to “mirror” to a folder on their local cpu.

hope this helps,

dann

thanks dann for the fast reply,

i will keep the server on my office machine, where i am placed at the moment i cannot change the firewall settings, so i could only open ports in my own office.

the thing what is not clear to me: how do i make it that the server is visible in the internet?
how doi connect via browser to the server connection? do i simply have to type the staic ip adress into the browser?

when i have a machine in my local network, can i route their ip via the firewall so that the c4d server on it will be visible to the internet?

thanks,

stefan

ps. and thank you very much for the 25slicer expression, i also do huge prints at the moment, it is very handy:-)

to have access to your NET server (LAN) on the internet (WAN) you need to do a port forward on your firewall/router. this way when you connect to the IP address of your (WAN) firewall/router it will see the “port” assignment and forward that to the internal (non-routable LAN) IP address of the “real” NET server cpu. so if your static IP address at your office was 100.100.1.1 in your firewall port forward settings you would port forward port 8080 to the interal IP of the real cpu at 192.168.100.1

(this would normally be in the advanced configurations of your firewall/router.)

to connect from a web browser you would enter 100.100.1.1:8080 in and it would tell it to talk to that IP (100.100.1.1) on port (8080) the firewall then sees the explicit 8080 port you have set - and forwards all communiction of that port to the internal IP of 192.168.100.1 you have set as well (all IP’s are just examples)

does that answer it ok?

good to know about the 25 slicer - glad to share. : )

dann

yes that answers all my questions!!!

thanks a lot dann, great:-)

cheers
stefan
lllab

well iuse brickwall 1.16b as a firewall on osx10.2.

the problem is i didnt find the feature to forward a port, i did ip mapping to the machine.
then i setup my g4 as server for a test and i thought it would run now, but from outside i still cant connect to this maschine.

i check the configuration again, maybe i forgot something.
i did some simple ip forwardingbefore, it worked, but i am not sure brickwall is cabable of mapping an ip with the corresponding port.

what firewall are you using, as far as i remember you are also using osx systems ?

thanks anyway

cheers

stefan

i use a hardware firewall. i don’t use the software firewall built into my osx server.

i am not familiar with brickwall but you will need some form of port forwarding to do what you need. i have just looked up and found brickhouse and firewalk but no brickwall.

it should have some sort of forwarding i would think

dann

sorry- i meant brickhouse;-) i am a little tired.

thanks for the answer

cheers
stefan

Just a note for anyone else. If you’re as thick as a brick like me then you could just assign your server to be the DMZ machine (router setting) then it will be the nominated computer to receive all the crap. Make sure you have it all secured though.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.