Need Tips for Filmlook for 3D

Wonderign what technioques ppl use to get that filmlook for their 3D animations?
Any links or techiques anyone can give?

It might seem like a simple suggestion, but I reckon you should start by analysing real camera and movie footage, particularily colouring and lighting… and of course camera compositions and movement. If I remember correctly there was a good book released about 2 years ago all about cg cinematographical techniques. Maybe someone here will remember the title?

I agree with Ian Jones. Apply the “principles of traditional cinematography and animation” to your work.

Plus render your images at 24 fps progresive.

What color correction or blurring. These setting in most comp application are usually common but would you use these and apply to ur animation.

Not trying to match plate anything but looking to get that “Blizzard” look or Namco movie cut scenes.

A few suggestions:

[ol]
[li]Bring your black levels up a smidge. [/li][li]Smooth off the top of your exposure curve to take a bit of contrast out of your highlights. [/li][li]Bit of a defocus on the image. [/li][li]Desaturate your image a bit. [/li][li]Add some subtle glows onto the very brightest highlights. [/li][li]Add some grain, but remember to use a luminance matte to prevent the brightest areas from getting any grain. White on film is an absence of grain so adding grain to the brightest areas of your image is a no-no. [/li][li]A slight colour shift to red/magenta for a Kodaky look or to green for a Fuji look. [/li][/ol] That’s all I can think of right now. Hope that helps,

A

Thanks Andrew.
Do you constantly break your scenes apart or do you prefer tweaking your render and adding few vfx on top it. Do you ever do a GI pass or Occulsion pass.

Well, to get a base film look, render you animations at 24fps with 0.5 or 50% motion blur.

This is because a film camera exposes a film frame at 1/48th of a second. Or for 50% of time. Therefore, your motion blur should be at 50%.

what if you doing a slow camera pan…real slow
would motionblur be considered or would you add a motion blur pass in post (via gaussian, fast blur or reelsmart motion).

It doesn’t matter how slow things are moving when dealing with a film camera, they still get blurred in proportion to their motion, the shutter angle, and framerate.

In cg, if things are moving real slow, then you may want to avoid computing motion blur because it just isn’t noticable.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.