Need help: Material Plugin and DX shader

We have two things that work, but not together. We have a custom material plugin so that we can provide hints to our game-engine exporter. And, we have .FX shaders that we can view in the viewport. They work great, just not together. Our custom material has a button for choosing the max material. If I choose, say a standard material, and check the “Display in viewport” button, it works. But, if I choose a DX9 material, it doesn’t (it just shows up gray in the viewport).

There used to be a pink “display in viewport” button for enable showing .FX shaders. I don’t see it any more. Did it go away in Max 8? I suspect that I need to tell the DX9 material to display in the viewport, but I can’t figure out how.

Any ideas?
Btw, using Max 8.

Thanks
Doug

Hi,

I think your problem comes from the fact that your custom material is using your effect shader as a standard material ; 3ds Max doesn’t provide the conversion.

Moreover, when applied to an object, DirectX shaders are displayed automatically.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.