Need help and opinions.

Hey all.
I just put this little thing together and I need some help finnishing it up.
First of, please give me your opinions on it…
Second, I’d like to get some help when it comes to UV maping this baby. I have no clue as to how to unwrap it… I’m new to texturing.
If someone could take a look at it I’d be very happy :slight_smile:

Best Regards, Mike

2 questios
-Software used?
-What the heck is it?

i could imagine its a pistol or a spaceship ^^

Ah… sorry for being so vague… It’s a spaceship. Software is MAX 6.

I don’t think any of us can really teach you how to UV map in 1 post so your best bet is to find a good tutorial. I recommend poopinmymouth’s tutorials, CLICK! Number 6 and number 7 I think, good luck. And could we see some better angles of your model?

well, i like the model so far. for what is it supposed to be?

everywhere i circled is where you can delete verts. When you have 3 points and the point in the middle is at the same point in space on one of the axies; delete it, you only need tow pints to make a strait line. Also you don’t need to make it water tight. As for UV unwraping that. That’s just about the simplest thing to unwap next to a box. Some guy actually has a tutorial on his website on how th unwrap a box! Anyway in you modifier stack choose UVunwrap, select faces the faces that you want then click planar map, sew the edges together that you want in the UVeditor.

well, i only partly agree with you, EvilTwin. making huge polys out out of those sections (as you suggested with those red lines) may save some tri’s, but on the other hand don’t nesessarily make sense.
building especially a spaceship with sections that you can overlay and therefore tile in the uv-editor saves an enormous amount of texture space thus enabling you to up the texture resolution of these parts. if you do it right and maybe add a detail map as a second texture stage, repetitions are barely noticable. in the end it’s the texture size that really counts and the distribution of the map-pixels, not really the poly count…especially not at the polycount of this thing. see, you could render hundreds of these ships with a decent gforce 4 ti and you would still be on the save side polycount-wise. but imagine those few hundreds with a 512x512 map or higher and you’ll get framerates that’ll make you cry…

just my two cents

regards!

some

Thanks for your comments guys. And yes I know you can’t teach me how to UV map in one post. :slight_smile: As for the poly optimizations, thanks for the pointers.
I know how to UV map a box and how the UV editor works, I’ve read the manual. I’d just like some tips on how to go about mapping this little thing… should I break the modell up in to smaller sections, map it as a whole… etc etc.

Thanks.

Map it as a whole.

Every “break the model up and flatten it” tutorial I’ve seen is made by someone who doesn’t know how to use UVW Unwrap.

Basically, drop a UVW Unwrap modifier onto your editable poly/mesh (Make sure the object isn’t in sub-object mode – the name in the modifier stack should be in grey, not yellow, click it if it isn’t) and then hit the [+] button next to UVW Unwrap in the modifier tab. click “select face” so its in yellow, and click edit map, so that you get the unwrap window open. move that out of the way of your perspective window, and select all the polys in the unwrap window and move them out of the blue box (they should be a mess, ignore that).

Now select co-planar or mostly co-planar polys in the perspective window, and hit the “planar map” button in the bottom right. “average normals” should be selected.

In your unwrap window, you should see those polys planar projected into the blue box. Move them out of the way, not on top of anything else, and repeat this until you don’t have anything left in your jumbled mess you moved out of the way originally (this way you can tell you didn’t miss any polys). Using the weld verts, weld selected, etc tools stitch them up where you don’t want any visible seams. Position everything in the blue box, and use as much space as possible. Keep in mind you will need to keep a little bit of space in between things that are not supposed to be seamless, as MIP mapping and bilinear filtering will cause bleeding. welding the left side onto the right, etc, will allow greater texel resolution at the cost of sometimes obvious mirroring (don’t do this if you’re going to have numbers on both sides, for example).

Mostly, it’s just practice, practice, practice to get better, but that’s the basics behind unwrapping.

Once you’ve gotten it all inside the blue box, go grab the texporter plugin (google it) and load it up (either place it in your plugins folder and restart, or go to customize-plugin manager, right click in the grey area and load it up). Then go to the utilities tab (Hammer tab to the right of the modifiers tab) and go to “More” and then load up Texporter (probably at the bottom). set it so it will render a map in powers of two (256x256, 512x512, whatever. It defaults to 800x400 and I have no idea why). I personally prefer to have it render edges only, with backface culling and mark overlaps off, with a constant color of white (you’ll understand when you load it up if you’re not familiar with it). Then you select pick object, click your guy, and it will render the UVs. Save this out as something lossless, like a tga, and load it into photoshop. doubleclick the background layer to make it a normal layer, create a new layer, put it underneath, fill it with 50% grey, set your UV layer to “screen” and opacity to 20% or so, and start painting on a new layer underneath it.

Hope this helps.

btw, if you feel the need to cylindrical unwrap, you can select the faces you’re unwrapping, apply a mesh select modifier, hit 4 or click the poly select button (loading your selection), then apply a UV Map-cylinder/sphere/whatever (cylinder is the only one that is useful.) Hit the [+] button and select gizmo to move the cylinder gizmo if you need to rotate, etc. The green edge is the seam it will split down, so try to not run that along complex geometry to keep your map nice looking.

Then collapse the stack down to an editable poly/mesh and apply a new UVW unwrap. You’ll see your new unwrapping spanning the blue box.

Thanks Ghostscape, very informative. It seems I’m on the right track.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.