Music generating events in Maya

I’m making a electronic music video and would like to export information about the music (when a certain tone or instrument are used). Anyone who can say anything about this is most welcome. But please understand that I’m looking for something little more sofisticated then using the .wav file (I wan’t more control but I can’t make it manually).

An example about what I wan’t to do could be that every frame you hear a certain beat I change a variable in the shader.

Thx

Many Compositing tools offer certain Filter / FX´s to turn Sound into Pixel-Animation.

Eg. AfterFX (V 6.x) has some standard tools and also a great plugin called Trapcode Soundkey.
You can set how fine the Sound will be scanned (Height, Mids, Bass) and specify how often (1 key per second / Frame … ) and in which range ( 0-1 , 0-100, -1 - 1 , …) keys were set.

Now you can copy+paste those keyframes to other channels of other effects (eg fractal, color correction or replacement, Black/White fades).

When everything is fine, render those Sequences to image-sequences and so You can add them to glows, ramps, light colors, bump and displacement maps, with some sophisticated shaders even to movements of objects and cameras, … .

After Effects can generate value movies based on amplitude. I’ve read that those movies can be used to drive maya values and manipulations. Ive done the AE part but haven’t plugged into Maya. Just need to make RGB values equate to scale or position for example.

Sorry not much help but…

damn webster beat me to it

Thx for the help, I’ll try it out

If someone knows how to use sound within Maya please write.

But I’ll guess I can “fake” a lot in AE for now.

if you are willing to do you project in Maya 4.5 then use my script > as_audioAnimator v0.4

P.S.
audioWave.mll plug-in for Maya 4.5 is the only one working

Hi Alin,

as I recall the BonusTools for Maya 5 also have a audioWave.mll plug-in… is that the same plugin you are refering to?

if it is, your script might also work with Maya 5 then… :slight_smile:

regards

Alex

Hey

I think I’ll have to use more then the amplitude as I need to link different scene elements to different musical instruments. One way to achieve this could be to use Midi files in some smart way. Another way could be to create an exporter for the music program and a corresponding importer for Maya. Then I could simply export a serie of keyframes for Maya to trigger some sort of event.

But it would be nice if someone did this allready:-)

Thx

unfortunatlly no, audioWave.mll released by Alias for Maya 5 & 6 doesnt work ... ive rised the problem on Alias forums but nothing untill now

Agree…listen to Webster. We do the same all time…tro fast and easy to do!

Many Compositing tools offer certain Filter / FX´s to turn Sound into Pixel-Animation.

Eg. AfterFX (V 6.x) has some standard tools and also a great plugin called Trapcode Soundkey.
You can set how fine the Sound will be scanned (Height, Mids, Bass) and specify how often (1 key per second / Frame … ) and in which range ( 0-1 , 0-100, -1 - 1 , …) keys were set.

Now you can copy+paste those keyframes to other channels of other effects (eg fractal, color correction or replacement, Black/White fades).

When everything is fine, render those Sequences to image-sequences and so You can add them to glows, ramps, light colors, bump and displacement maps, with some sophisticated shaders even to movements of objects and cameras, … .
Ok, I hear you. But how do I export keyframes from AE to Maya? I understand that I can only produce image sequences. Can I get other kind of data as well?

Hi Alin,

oki doki… :slight_smile:

strange actually… however I was able to connect to the audioWave node, but the amplitude or whatever of it, just seems to be a constant value… I guess this is the problem with it… :slight_smile:

>> Kahuna,

maybe you can use something from this tutorial by Keegan… “deformKey – Speaker”… which uses his “deformKey script”… :slight_smile:

regards

Alex

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.