MR+depthmap shadows+motionblur

I would like some advice on getting good performance with MR in Maya, doing orthodox things like dmap shadows and motion blur. No raytracing, caustics or GI etc.
I have spent a little time learning how to get reasonable results with Maya’s regular renderer, as far as dmap shadows, AA, sampling and motion blur go. I was excited to try out MR but it seems slow. I have tried very small dmap buffers, turned them off etc. just to compare render times; but all up MR just seems slow. This is on a P4 1.7 Ghz. The motion blur in MR at default settings is very “stochastic” (speckly) looking…now I haven’t spent time tweaking the motion blur yet so I can’t criticize it, but any advice would be appreciated. It seems faster than Maya’s 3D motion blur.

As a comparison I have some experience using Electric Image Universe and on a G4 400 Mhz, Camera (EIU’s renderer) KILLS MR speedwise and looks gorgeous. That is at 640 X 480 with motion vector blur, two shadow casting lights, dmap shadow buffer set to 1280 pixels, poly object with 8000 faces. The same thing in Maya rendered with MR (on a 1.7 Ghz P4 as mentioned earlier) but with one light and a 256 pixel shadow buffer + motion blur takes at least twice as long. I know that MR can look great and I heard it was faster than the regular Maya renderer for straightforward tasks so any tips would be much appreciated.
I get the feeling from what I have read that the performance with PRMan is optimised for this kind of thing, ie. dmap shadows and motionblur, nothing fancy, just great looking images, great AA, sampling etc.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.