MParticle Glue/Cloth Rigid Deform?


I’ve been toying around with MParticles, trying to achieve the effect of object/vehicle destruction in a way more congruent with reality. After all, when cars or planes crash, they don’t shatter like a rayfire object. They shred, cracking and creaking and bending, held together tenuously by internal components unless damaged in a catastrophic manner.

It took me a lot of trial and error, but I’ve found a general solution I like, and tested with a fighter jet and quadrotor model of my own make.

It took a high degree of sub-sampling, but making low-res proxy objects, filling them with grid-based M particles and using MP Glue test has basically achieved my general ambition. Even the fighter jet looked spectacular when the high-res mesh was particle-skinned to it, the particles striking the side of a mountain and sheering a wing messily off. The result didn’t even give my processor an overly large hit.

But one result eluded me, and only under specific circumstances did anything ever come close.

Precious few of the sims I’ve attempted have reacted in a rigid manner. In fact, most of them just act like rubber unless the sampling of the world is around a value of 40. Even then, however, deforming objects tend more often than not to spring back to their original shapes, resulting in them wobbling endlessly. And yes, I know under high energy conditions, and for short instances, the toughest metals have elastic properties.

So I get an airplane crash acting this way, and it’s so torn apart anyway, what do some dents matter? But say I take a golf club and bend it over my knee, or smash a car into a wall. It doesn’t happen lightly, but when pressed, metal will alter its form and keep the new shape.

I’ve tried this with the glue test, not letting an object break and pummeling it or dropping it. But it keeps its old shape.

I feel almost like a cloth modifier could achieve this if MParticles can’t, but the settings don’t seem primed for the stiffness necessary. Though I could be wrong.

Regardless, Glue test has proven itself invaluable, and I can see its use in conjunction with other techniques making some jaw-dropping stuff in the future :thumbsup:


make sure glue is on rigid, at the bottom you can turn up the rigid binding solver factor from 1.0 to 1.5 and still get stable results. You’re right, higher sub samples like 40 will give a the less rubber look.

Not sure how you’re setting it up because there’s no flow pic… but you’re glue test upon breaking should be sent out to a new event with another glue operator that upon entry is gluing the particles back to the previous event. This will create a certain rigidity. Also try to use dampening in the new event if you’re still getting a rubber look.