movies as textures/projections?

does anyone know if its possible to use movie files as textures or projections?

i checked the helpf iles, cant seem to find it and ive asked around and no one really knows for sure surprisingly…

it was so easy to do in 3dsmax, id figure itd be just as easy in maya, weird…

Hi Tommy!

It can be done with a movie or image sequence, but it’s not as easy as a mouse click. This is a fairly common question so I created a couple of video clips to show how it is done.

This is how it is done with an image sequence:

Zipped Textured Image Sequence Tutorial (1.02 mb, 800x600, MPG1, no sound)

or uncompressed (viewable on a Mac):

Textured Image Sequence Tutorial (9.38 mb, 800x600, MPG1, no sound)

and here is a clip on how it is done with a movie file (in this case the above avi file):

Zipped Movie Texture Tutorial (712kb, 800x600, MPG1, no sound)

or uncompressed (viewable on a Mac):

Movie Texture Tutorial (6.62 mb, 800x600, MPG1, no sound)

For a light projection, just do the same kind of thing for the light color. The only gotcha is that for the image sequence, it seems that it has to be in the form: “image_name.tga.##” (where ## is the image sequence number and tga can be any valid image format).

Hope it helps!

great, thanks a lot! ill check these out right away.

what about .mov files? i hear they’re not supported for some reason

You are welcome! I tested some quicktime files and they generated errors, so it doesn’t look like it - though it could have to do with different QT versions or something like that.

hey all. i just asked my buddy about importing avi’s and he said to use mpg 1 codec because problems will arise if you use another codec sometimes. i’m thinking it’s because of different drivers on different computers. does anyone know anything about this?

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.