Modo and Silo

Just curious if anyone out there has used both of these, and what they would say are the advantages of Modo over Silo? Or maybe Silo over Modo? I remember someone mentioning that Modo has something similar to the Topology Brush that version 1.3 of Silo will have. Anyone stumbled upon that yet?

Everyone seems to love Modo so far, but I still wonder if the extra $600 over Silo is worth it or not. C4D R9 has some pretty cool modeling tools, too. So many choices! So little money!

Yes its worth the extra bucks.
Dunno about a topology brush just have my copy, and still so mutch to learn.
I have played extensively with Xsi, maya, Silo and C4D for a full month. (only modeling)
Nothing comes close to the workflow of modo.

Lightwave- Best workflow but lack of tools (No edges…)
Xsi- Nice featsures but workflow is a minus (still the best exept for modo)
but it doesnt even come close to modo.
Silo- Nice but not my taste of workflow and still lacks a lot of tools
C4D- Nico tools, love them and hate them.
Modo- All the way!!!
Many tools and best workflow ever.
This is a must have for anyone who is doing 3d modeling no matter wich software they use to do the rest.

i looked at silo, i think it is a great software . i found that it is quite unique modeler, and nice interface, like wings3d, which i love alot. but in terms of more complicated stuff like interface and scripting, macros and deformations i do not think that it is close to modo in that sense. .silo has a fast interface and small compared to maya, which is a plus. and i think especially silo`s edge modelling tools are robust,and works accurate

technically speaking , as far as pure modelling tools go, i think silo has pretty much everything, same as modo. but since every tools out there have all the necessary tools nowadays. main point is interface and customization in my opinion.

for example maya is really strong tool if you know mel, but many artist do not want to deal with that kind of stuff, well modo is alot more like what artist would like.

well silo is moving very very fast, i think this question should be asked again in 6 months time :slight_smile:

I’m curious about Modo as well, but no demo yet, so its difficult to say anything. With regards to Cinema 9, it behaves a lot like Maya or Silo, depending on what mode you’re in. For poly editing, its the same tools as Maya - N-sided polys, edge, vertex and poly modes, weld, melt, collapse, fill hole etc. The knife tool is more developed, with five different cutting modes, one of which lets you cut an arbitrary shaped hole into a single poly without triangulating it. The brush sculpting tool is excellent as well, with lots of different modes like smear, smooth, normal, pull, repel, etc. All selection modes are there (including convert, ring and loop selection). There’s also a nice ‘autoselect’ and ‘tweak mode’ where Cinema doesn’t distinguish between edges, vertices or polys, and you can pick whatever is under the mouse and move it right away. One of the nicest additions is the modeling axis, which lets you pick the reference point around which to rotate/translate/scale selected faces and so on, so you can model using surface normal, world, object, local and other coordinate systems.

The subd side is more interesting, because you can either work on the polycage on which the subd surface is based, or in isoline mode, selecting the points, isolines and surfaces on the subd surface directly. What I find quite interesting is that extrudes, bevels etc behave a like Silo’s when working in isoline mode, whereas they behave more like a regular poly modeler when working on the polycage. There’s also some new OpenGL modes that look a lot like the ones in Silo.

There is another interesting modeling feature in R9, but its not much good if you are only considering it as a modeler for another 3D package. The Advanced Render module can use Zbrush normal maps for micropoly displacement, so you can export a detailed million poly character model from Zbrush as a low-poly basemesh to Cinema that has only a few thousand polys, with the rest of the model information saved as a normal map. You can then rig and animate the low model in Cinema, with everything staying interactive, and the renderer will recreate the Zbrush level detail (with choice over the subdivision level) at rendertime from the Zbrush normal map. But that feature is useful only if you use Cinema to render/animate as well, not if you intend to use the model in another package.

This is how much I’ve figured out from the R9 demo. For Modo, I can’t say much without getting my hands on a working demo version, but it seems to have very powerful scripting/macros if you’re into that sort of workflow. Maybe its best to wait for the demo to see which suits you better.

One thing that is very important to the workflow of modo is how easily it grows into any environment, not just with the UI or this tool or that… But when someone needs something specific with modo, they can add it. Internally we have a perl interface that gives you control over nearly everything in modo. Personally, I’m not a programmer, but with 2 books on perl and some patience I was able to create a .MDL importer for game models in 2 days… It’s pretty basic but my latest version will do unlimited numbers of nodes and sometime soon we’re going to release it with modo. And it’s not some super secret special language that only a handful of programmers know… There’s even a perl for dummies book that I cherish :slight_smile:

This is really how everything in modo has evolved, instead of a programmer somewhere deciding "you must work like this" modo simply lays down the legos in front of you and allows you to put it together however you'd like... They simply put a few together for you in case you want to use them :)

i can second what Dion says. Not knowing a thing about perl I was able to write first script in modo in about hour where half of time took me to go through some basic perl tutorial on the net :slight_smile:

The beautiful thing is that all what You do is looged as command with arguments. So all what You do with UI can be done with script. All commands with their possible arguments are listed in command history panel so it is really easy to find what You need. All commands can be asked for their arguments as well, for example You can ask modo what wireframe mode is currently applied for the viewport. Communication is easy and smooth. And with the fully open SDK coming soon … :wink:

>>The beautiful thing is that all what You do is looged as command with arguments. So all what You do with UI can be done with script. All commands with their possible arguments are listed in command history panel so it is really easy to find what You need. All commands can be asked for their arguments as well, for example You can ask modo what wireframe mode is currently applied for the viewport

It seems very similar to what Maya has. You can do exactly the same in Maya.

What`s the diffrence and (possible) advantage?

I think is’t too early for this question,
since Silo is still in development and it’s getting much better all the time,
and Modo just came out to the market with no demo to try.

Since, there is a demo for Silo, I can say that I am very impressed with it so far.
One of the best modelers that I have tried and the price is right. It just keeps getting better all the time.

I agree with an early post. Let’s talk about this at least 6 months from now
to be fair to these fantastic tools.

I agree with billhdz, it’s too early to make these comparisons.

I’m a lightwave user since version 6 and I love that tool, and, obviously, I was very excited about Modo’s release. But with no demo or trial version to test it, will be difficult to say if worths that much.

In the other hand, people from nevercenter, has a very interesting tool… I have tested it on my Mac and believe me, it’s an amazing tool, extremely fast, and you are able to customize many things. Silo is a promissing tool, and I’m talking about an affordable, stable, fast, flexible and cool application.

Well, let’s wait a little longer for this! :slight_smile:

cheers!

oh I must missed about the perl interface!
Always thought perl woulf make a great scripting language for artistic software, I wish theres more info on their site or be convered in some interviews. How does the connection work are they wrappers around , how much of modo commands are scriptable with perl? what about performance issue.

XSI dumps everything it does in a code window as well, and so does the 3D part of Macromedia Director even. I’m more interested in whether Modo ships with modeling tools that are radically different/better from what’s available elsewhere, but I guess that’ll have to wait until the demo is out.

I just found out someone here was a beta tester. Damn. He said that you tell the perl script something is a lx command list this–

lx("viewport.3dView wireframe:$wire")

that is it, stick that into your perl script and it fires that command into Modo.

To get info from modo it is a lxq command

lxq("tool.handleStyle style:?")

He he… by then I don’t think the comparison would be fair! :slight_smile:
By then it is very possible that modo will be part of nexus–a complete 3D app not just a modeler. :slight_smile:

Yp, i suggest u go for modo, silo is nice but it still needs alot of functions.
Its not able to do any kind of uv editing. and on top of that.
Nexus is just around the corner :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi, I have used both Silo and Modo and I would say go with Modo, there is a lot in there and a lot more coming. Modo is worth every penny, its a very powerful application, very intuative and easy to use, especially so if your familiar with Lightwave.

cheers gary.

Well here is an answer for you
think about a car with 600 horsepower, some twin turbo etc in it. but does not have a wheel instead you need to use joystick and the seat is made out of nails. so this car even with 600 horse power that can go upto 400 miles would not be fun and easily controllable to drive even on highway

what modo is giving you the ride experience, this is not a political way of saying it, but it is no joke that when car manufacturerss need to design a car they start it with the drivers seat first, and then rest followes.
modo is trying to give you best interface possible to (which is customizable) to do traditional polygon and subd modelling. Modo does not have some crazy way of doing (lets say like in zbrush) modelling.But it has some innovations in it as well. like element fall off, or double clicking on edgeloops, splitting windows, free transform point (like in lightwave), and and ability to use fall off s with most of the tools. for example you can use airbrush fall off with edge bevel and you can paint edge bevelling over the surface. fi you think this is a crazy tool then you have it :slight_smile:

How does the sub-d speed compare to XSI (the fastest I’ve seen) or Silo?

I think a demo would REALLY help those of us who are unsure of Modo being worth the extra $600 over Silo.

When Nexus is released, if it’s somewhere around the price of Lightwave and includes modeling/animation/rendering/simulations… I’ll be all over that. It’s just hard to know how it’s all going to fit together price wise though. I can’t imagine modeling would account for HALF the price of Nexus… since Nexus will have so much more.

Anyways, it definitely sounds like Modo is a sweet modeler. I just hope a demo’s out soon. I think I’ll just continue saving my money and wait and see how it all pans out. :slight_smile:

Hi, I have used both Silo and Modo and I would say go with Modo, there is a lot in there and a lot more coming. Modo is worth every penny, its a very powerful application, very intuative and easy to use, especially so if your familiar with Lightwave.

I appreciate the comments. Thanks for sharing.

I still need to try it to believe it. When the demo is available, I will be able to judge.
We all experience software in a different way. What’s best for Paul is not best for peter.
Some people like Maya and others swear by Lightwave.
TRYING is the best way to judge what is best for you.

I’ll sit tight and wait for the demo.