Mental Photon Error Message

Padron me if this sounds redundet but I have to ask.

I am trying out MR and have an object with the MR renderer selected as well as GI and FG checked. I also have a MR Area omni light. When I click to render it takes forever and I get an error box say no photons stored after 1000000 (cancelling emission job).

Do I need to put the scene in a sphere so that the photons can bounce around or what am I doing wrong?

Regards

This is a common misconception, but no a sphere will not do anything. It’s most likely your material that doesn’t support MR photons. Materials like MR Glass don’t know what to do with photons so you would get this error. Can you give any more details about your scene. Like the materials you have.

Are you sure? MR materials are specifically designed to work with photons.

You can try using a different type of light and see if that resolves your issue. Sometimes for whatever reason I’ve gotten that error, I delete the light and create a new one and the problem went away. A Bug ??? don’t know

Like Yourworstnightmare said,
more specific information would be cool in order to help you.
Is that everything? One sphere and one Mr area omni light?

but i can tell you whats wrong…

If you only got the sphere and the light, your photons and Fg rays will be shooten into the big open space and can not be saved.
Also this in combination with the area omni ligth will
kill your rendertime, be aware.

Just build up a box + flip normals and see what happens…

Besides

Materials like MR Glass don’t know what to do with photons so you would get this error.

Sorry buddy but thats absolutely not right. MR Glass will work perfect with photons…

MR materials are specifically designed to work with photons.

Absolutely right mate…

regads…

I’m sorry but i’m going to have to school both of you. Here’s a picture of just the MR Glass.

And here’s a MR Glass with a Photon Base shader, that tells the MR Glass what to do.

See the glass now has caustics, which means that the photons were stored.

Hate to rain on your parade but you using a Glass (lume) and not a MR Glass (physics phenom) shader. Which is what you originally posted. It’s ok that you don’t entirely know what your talking about, just don’t tell people things that aren’t true.
The mental ray render is built upon the use of photons.

So be a little more specific when you say something and understand that in max there are a million ways to achieve the same result. It’s like telling someone that clothfx is the only way to go and everything else just sucks.

Hate to rain on your parade but you using a Glass (lume) and not a MR Glass (physics phenom) shader. Which is what you originally posted. It’s ok that you don’t entirely know what your talking about, just don’t tell people things that aren’t true.
The mental ray render is built upon the use of photons.

HAHAH!!! You r my man dizzl8r :buttrock: , so this way i can save my comment on his words…

“I’m sorry but i’m going to have to school both of you.”

Okay, so far im sure DIZZL8R and MYSELF were present at school,
what about you??

I originally meant MR Glass Lume, and I didn’t know that the Physics_Phen was only a MR material. I also never said that everything but ClothFX sucked, I simply said that if Max has ClothFX and not Syflex, to stop whinning about it.

Yeah, i’ve been to school, a lot. And since the Physics_Phen material doesn’t have a huge sign that says Mental Ray on it, I would surpose that people know that I mean the Glass Lume.

this thread has now replaced the clothFX one as my all time favorite :thumbsup:

Gents!

Thank you for your input. I created a sphere and inversed it and everything works fine.

I just wanted to get some input from users on alternate ways to quickly set up a scene for MR rendering using FG and GI.

Really? haha…i dont know the clothfx one… :slight_smile:

Thankfully the original poster of this thread has had his question answered, since you’ve decided to hijack it. Well I to put an end to it. If you wish to discuss things further PM me.

See the little yellow dot next to it in the material/map browser? That means it is a MR shader, if that isn’t a big enough sign then well I hate to see you drive in LA. As for Lume shaders I would have to say I believe more people know about the standard MR shaders.

Oh btw Lume Tools were written by a chap(s) long ago for use with mr in softimage.
http://www.lume.com/description.html

The standard shaders in max were witten by these guys:
http://www.mentalimages.com/2_1_0_mentalray/index.html

Some interesting stuff there check it out.

You’ve been to school alot, that’s good, because everyday of my life seems like school there is always something new to learn (I know for a fact I’m a hell of alot older than you are), you maybe need to take a break and go socialize with some friends and get away from the computer for a little bit.

As for your knowledge of max and mental ray (not to say I know everything but I’m open to other peoples ideas & suggestions) it will grow and you’ll get better at it .

You’ll notice that people here are here for a reason, to help, to learn, and to share, you seem to think it’s all about I know more that you and your wrong, I’m always right, I said this but I meant that, Take a break young skywalker, your young you’ve got your whole life to live and learn, so take it in stride.:wink:

About the clothfx, you’re the one that wrote all those silly childish remarks not me, stop, please don’t tell me to stop whinning when I wasn’t whinning to begin with. Not a good way to make friends.

Oh my GOD!!!

Dizzl8r, i really start loving you :bounce: (Damn hope my girlfriend is not behind me now!)

Thx for the Pm that really open my eyes, hahaha!!!

You’ll notice that people here are here for a reason, to help, to learn, and to share, you seem to think it’s all about I know more that you and your wrong, I’m always right, I said this but I meant that, Take a break young skywalker, your young you’ve got your whole life to live and learn, so take it in stride.:wink:

About the clothfx, you’re the one that wrote all those silly childish remarks not me, stop please don’t tell me to stop whinning when I was whinning to begin with. Not a good way to make friends.

Okay i ehh , or better ehh… ahhh i just drop it, better than drizzl8r
is not possible… I just read the thread and, ehhh… no comment!

I absolutely agree with you buddy that, here in Cgtalk its all about
"helpling, !!LEARNING!! , perhaps only! just listening , and sharing.

And if you sometimes really dont know the answer or not sure, hey whats up? no body will kill you. Better not posting an answer would be probably the better decision instead of answering something wrong.

I think its better we end this here now…

regards…

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.