Maya vs. LW Thread in Maya forum

I know some of you who keep up with this area have posted in this thread but since some people may have not noticed it I thought I would post this link. There is some childish arguments going on however there are also some extremely valid points, some of which I think we all would be happy to see resolved or added.

Feel free to contribute your comments.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46056

Voted the most useless thread ever

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Lmao, Yeah lots of utter trash stuffed in there. Some of the sheer idiocy made for a good laugh.

Doesn’t care

Fahim’s comments and pig headedness turned me off of that thread. His logic is that Maya > All because XYZ studio(s) use it. No real logic behind his statments…just drival.

Some of the other comments are valid and make for interesting brain fodder.

Lightwave allows me to do exactly what I want to do. I do not yearn for more. If a studio hires me and says “Use Maya”, I’ll say “Yes sir/ma’am.” Doesn’t reallly bother me. I’m about the art, not the app.

Silly people :stuck_out_tongue:

he’s only 15 folks :wink:

Originally posted by Leigh
Silly people :stuck_out_tongue:

Me? :cry:

:stuck_out_tongue:

this whole thread is hmmm, both pointless and great.

at a previous job, I had little exp with Maya, and 5 years on LW. I was asked if using Maya was a problem and of course, I said no. Their reasoning for the question: EVERY LWer that he had interviewed prior to that had been:

“you’re using Maya? Well, I will switch you to LW”

For that reason alone, they black flagged LW users almost entirely.
The point: not much really, just us LWers tend to have a very pig headed approach to what we use. BUT, I feel almost all package users are that way…I worked with a Max guy once who refused to seriously learn anything else.

I personnally dont give a flying monkey what package I use, as long as the project is cool, the team I work with great, and the studio is fun.

I couldn’t agree more, Twidup :slight_smile:

I think the community could do a better job of making it known what production environments are like. I think that people starting with Lightwave sometimes feel that LW should do pretty much everything without feeling like they need external tools. I’m not sure what other places are like, but where I’m at that’s really not true. We’ve got a variety of tools that excel in various ways.

One thing that I really wish had been instilled into me early on as ‘acceptable’ was post production. I spent my early LW years thinking that everything needed to be PERFECT out of the renderer and that Photoshop and After Effects were like cheating. if I had known that some places do compositing and Post Production (like with final Fantasy, for example…) I would have had a very different view of how to use Lightwave. I would have considered it a tool and not a platform.

I honestly think that’s where a lot of my LW bias came from.

you will never win software wars…just smile and say hello :slight_smile:

And don’t forget to wave too! :wavey:

Oh yeah NanoGator - I hear you on that one! Post prod has saved my ass many times :stuck_out_tongue:
The day I discovered I could really clean up my renders in Photoshop and AE really changed my way of working! These days, NO render of mine escapes some fiddling in PS :slight_smile:

Oh yeah and I totally agree about the fact that people need to try out external tools as well :slight_smile:
That is why I always preach to everyone about trying out as many apps as they can. You can never know too many programs, and there is certainly no harm in keeping up to date with all the packages appearing on the market. Keeping your options open, and keeping an open mind will ensure that you stay ahead of the game.

Although LW is certainly my app of choice for all my stuff, that is simply because it suits my style best of all the progs I have tried and because I actually have it at my disposal.
However, I certainly wouldn’t turn down a job in a studio that used Max or XSI or Maya - using lots of programs gives the best toolset to create ANYTHING you want, since the areas that are lacking in some apps can be compensated for in others :slight_smile:

And as I said before, (and I certainly don’t mind saying it again), it’s really about the artist. Just look at Brian Taylor and that cheapo app he made Rust Boy in…

Lightwave sux :wavey: Don’t blame on me, i put the wavey smile there :smiley: Just kidding, i agree with you all, Lw is a really good program, nothing to say about that, but everybody should remember that artists are more important than programs. And don’t say “hey we all know that” because if everybody (myself included) knew the artist’s importance then you wouldn’t hear “xprogram is better than yprogram” anymore. It may sound odd but I never heard anybody saying “hey Francisco Cortina is worse than Renè Morel!” :wink:
just my 2 cents

Originally posted by Leigh
[B]And don’t forget to wave too! :wavey:

Oh yeah NanoGator - I hear you on that one! Post prod has saved my ass many times :stuck_out_tongue:
The day I discovered I could really clean up my renders in Photoshop and AE really changed my way of working! These days, NO render of mine escapes some fiddling in PS :slight_smile:

[/B]

Leigh,

It’s addictive, isn’t it? You’d seriously love After Effects. It’s like Photoshop with a timeline. Imagine being able to brighten or change the color of a light with real time feedback. :bowdown:

Once I started playing with that my entire workflow changed. Now, my overnight renders are only from an element of a scene. If it goes bad, just rerender that one element. Or, render an extra layer to clean it up. Once I added a GI layer to an object beacuse I found out I had just enough time to do it! Cool, eh? :slight_smile:

If you ever have questions about compositing and workflow with LW, fire them off to me. I’ve been studying it for a couple of years now. I even know how to composite lens flares with the way Lightwave’s alpha channel works. :wink:

hey Nano,

hmm, I do agree, about letting everyone know what a prod. env. is actually like, but someplace, pipelines and workflows are actually covered under NDAs. Strange I know.

Anyway, some of the places I have worked have had teams for just modeling, texturing, etc, while others, you are assinged a shot and you do EVERYTHING. While others, I personnally did everything from concept art to output on characters.
Where I am at now, the nameless one, we have teams broken up for matte painting, creatures, modelings, enviro, comp, etc.

I know a few friends in LA are at shops where they get a shot, and do everything from building the new models for it, to texturing, animating and comping the results together.

Overall, I think the 2 biggest things people should realise:

Post prod. is your friend.

AND:::

there is no harm in using more than one application. Model in what you like and has a good interface for you, animate in what provides you with the best tools, texture/shade/render in what you like and know, and composite the end results, dont be afraid to break up a shot and do multiple passes.

oh yeah, forgot this:

:slight_smile:

/Remi says he doesn’t care

Originally posted by twidup
[B]hey Nano,

hmm, I do agree, about letting everyone know what a prod. env. is actually like, but someplace, pipelines and workflows are actually covered under NDAs. Strange I know.

[/B]

That’s a real bummer because right now I want to get a 3D job in L.A. (or the vicinity). Unfortunately, I’m not at a studio right now, I’m at a software company. It’s hard to explain that I’ve pursued the more advanced 3D stuff independently so I try to learn what I can to fit in. (Maybe it’s not so hard, I dunno. I haven’t fired off demo reels yet.)

Every time I get a snippet of info from somebody in the FX industry, I get overwhelmed and discouraged about how naieve I am. I honestly think that I’ll impress anybody who hires me, but I worry that my lack of knowledge about how those places operate will leave me in a vulnerable position.

Think I’m overreacting a bit?

There is Zoic, Omation, Area 51, Digital Threashold, Digital Domain, S4, and many other LW shops in LA always looking for great artists…go join the LA LW users group and network…u haveone of teh best users groups in ur area that you should take advantage of!