Maya Tutorials

Hi Als.

Thanks so much for taking time out to provide this list. I really appreciate your help.

Cheers.

There is lot more where this are coming from, and I will sort out full list soon.
The issue is more of a how to pack something like that to be easier to use and easier to find.
On some of the websites mentioned, there is already such an effort, so I will just have to see where is the best place to add my links…
I also asked if we can have sticky website thread on mel as well…

Als

In this tutorial you will learn how to model kempston pro joystick using polygons and NURBS. For a Reference image you can search in Google Images. Follow the steps as shown below.

Modeling Kempston Pro Joystick using Autodesk Maya

Cheers!

Here’s simple eye region model with eyeball. Goal for this tutorial is to make few blend shapes for 4 position of eye and drive that blend shapes automatically as eye ball rotating. Also on the end of tutorial we will learn how to make expressions and rig to control rotation of eye over translation of one nurbs circle. Follow the steps as shown below.

Making eyelid rig with driven keys and expressions using Autodesk Maya

Cheers!

The"Real HDRI with MR for Maya!"page was 404 errer:bounce:

We will go through almost every step of making this scene in final render in this tutorial. First we will make tea cup and sugar jar, make textures in PhotoShop, make materials in HyperShade and make render setup in MentalRay for maya. Follow the below for more…

Tea cup modeling and rendering with Mental RAY - Part one

Cheers!

wow men… really you don’t leave to me any word to thank you , thanks alot men for this great job , thank you so mush…

First of all I would like to say sorry for not hosting a link for this tut, THis is something that I just came up with. Its a vary simple but effective rim light, non Mental ray.

This rim light is based off of the Lights in your scene. No matter if the lights are in teh back or the front.

In this example I will be using a standard 3 point light setup.

Items/nodes that will be needed.

2 Ramps
(Ramp 1 to determine the length of the rim highlight)
(Ramp 2 to determine the Width of the rim highlight)

surfaceLuminance Node
(To tell where the highlights will be placed)

samplerInfo Node
(to make sure the highlights are only along the edges)

Okay now for the shading network setup…

Okay lets start off down stream…

You have the surfaceLuminance1 node connected via outValue to the vCoord of Ramp1. This will determine the length, color and intensity of your highlight.
As you can see below the ramp setup is so the highlight will fade off along the edges rather then come to a sudden stop.

Moving on we have the ramp1 connected to the ramp2 via outColor into ramp2.ColorEntryList[0].color. In other words there will be only two entries for this ramp, and the entry that is being connected is the one at the bottom.
now depending on how close or far the top entry is from the bottom will determine how wide your rim will be.
You will also notice there is a samplerInfo node also connected to the ramp2 This node is connected via facingRatio into the uCoord and vCoord. This is in place so the highlight will only appear along edges facing away from the camera (only along the rim).

Finally take your ramp2 and connect it to your shader via outColor into ambientColor and or incandescence.

After applying the shader to a model this is what you will end up with…

Model credit to: James Davis, Florida.

Now the controls for your new rim shader.

Rim width:
With your ramp2 your top entry will determine how wide the highlight ratio is. The further up the wider the highlight.

Rim length:
With your ramp1 Take your 2 outside entries and more then towards the center. to create more of a hard specular highlight.

Hope this helped a few people out. As my first “tutorial” I don’t think I did half bad xD.

Enjoy!

I’m not sure if this has been answered but I’ve done countless google searches and for some reason the CGTalk search isn’t working.

Does anyone have links to some -really- good water tutorials for Maya (I’m using 2008 if that’s needed info)? I don’t have the money to buy RealFlow and the tutorials on google don’t seem to be the kind I’m looking for or produce the kind of results that look realistic. Is real flow really the best way to produce liquid effects in Maya?

In this part of this tutorial we will make some additional modeling to improve our scene, after that we’ll go over UV mapping of our objects, shading and texturing. Follow the steps as shown below.

Tea cup modeling and rendering with Mental RAY - Part two

Cheers!

This is wrong forum to post this question, next time do it under the maya dynamics.
The realflow is the best way to produce liquid effects.
You can use ncloth, or just maya particles, but you are limited with what this will achive, and the look/shape of liquid which will not like clean water.
Also you can try blender.
If neither of this works, you mind consider going realflow way and charging your client a bit more (after all this is not simple).
Also you can try using houdini, but then in either case you need to buy something extra…

Als

Create Fire in Maya

In this video tutorial learn how to create fire effect from scratch using Maya particle system

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/maya/firevideo/fire.html

Many links are broken there, especially tutors about mental ray.
This may interest modos to know. .

:slight_smile:

David.

Character Base Mesh Modeling

This is a small tutorial for quick character base mesh modeling and can be created in any 3d package

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/maya/basemesh/index.html

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to inform you that learning-maya.com has updated all tutorial links. Thumbnail previews for every link are new as well as updated lists of the newest links - currently there are 841 reviewed links online.

There´s also a new forum especially for the Maya beginner online with enough space for posting your own tutorials.

www.learning-maya.com

Best,
Boris

Good stuff. Looks like a nice repository of tutorials.

Hi guys
just letting you know there are quite a few fx tutorials available now at
www.modernmayhem.com

thanks

Phil

Found this spot while googling for a good spot to get a metal shader.

http://www.lugher3d.com/

Has some tutorials, shaders, objects, etc for free.

(you do need to register)

Sorry if this got doubleposted.

:slight_smile:

Here is my tutorial page. I will be adding more soon.

http://www.speffects.com/index.php?id=tutorials

my latest one along with a mel

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/tutorials/tutorial_index/multi_displacement_setup/