maya shader that blends with light direction

Im trying to create a planet shader where areas that are illuminated by a directional light show one material, and the areas not illuminated use a different material (Day/night).

I’m using vray. I’ve been trying all sorts of combinations with the blendColors, lightDirection, SampleInfo, Surf.Luminance nodes with no luck.

Ideally, I’d like to have a shader that will actively blend between the Day and Night materials depending on the angle the light hits the surface. The only other method I can think of to at least show the blending is to do it in post, but wheres the challenge in that? :smiley:

Can you use the outColor from a white lambert shader to use as the blend?

Simon

To connect the outColor of the lambert to the blend factor, you’d first have to use an RGBtoLuminance to convert it to a single value. Even so, it would work exactly the same as the blend factor by itself (white 1, black 0)

What I need is something that would sample the surface luminance and use that value to control the blend.

…Just after writing that, I tried the Surf.Luminance node using the default connection, and it works! Apparently the effect doesnt show in IPR rendering. Heres a successful test image of the blend from day to night:

Thanks for the response though. Good team work! :beer:

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.