maya 2018 constraints not working after a visibility change

We just updated 1 license at work to 2018 as we have been using 2014 and 2015 up until now.

I’ve spent the last few days updating rigs and testing things out and unfortunately I’ve ran into so many problems that 2018 doesn’t seem worth it at all.

The biggest one I can’t find a good fix for is all the constraints on a rig stop working. I have a vehicle rig, so lots of parent constraints instead of skinClusters, which has a low res proxy version and a higher res version. These are connected to a “Proxy Visibility” control which simply changes the top groups visibility attribute.

If I animate with the proxy version and then change the visibility to the higher res version, it just gets left behind and none of the constraints work?

At this point if I save and reload it all works again, until I toggle the proxy attribute again and everything breaks.

I added back the legacy vewport and switching back to that also fixes it.
In fact the Legacy Viewport seems to work fine, but it is a lot slower than viewport 2.

Has anyone else had rigs break on them in 2018 and is there a good fix other than go back to maya 2014?

You should post your message at Autodesk as well.

Lots of things changes since 2015 specially on the evaluation part, is this happening on your old imported rig or newly created one in maya 2018?
Can you provide a test scene?

you could try to disable parallel evaluation and see if it solve the problem.

Staying on 2014 will just bite you even harder, as you get left further and further behind…

As above, the best way to get help is to isolate the problem to a test scene that you can post so people can look at it. (Isolating an issue is also an important part of figuring out what’s causing it, whether you post anything publically or not.)

upgrading rigs isnt an easy task… in 2018 there is a lot diffent than in 2014…

http://download.autodesk.com/us/company/files/2018/UsingParallelMaya.pdf

//youtu.be/NfYAaK3wtQs

//youtu.be/_0mb4wIZi80

if its “only” a viewport thing you could try ot use the “ogs -reset” mel to reload the viewport…

You shouldn’t have to “upgrade” rigs at all–the “new” stuff is just ways to build rigs in ways that will be fast with parallel evaluation, not stuff that doesn’t work. There’s nothing about simple parent constraints that shouldn’t work the same today as it always has.

But we can’t help without a scene to look at.

if i would upgrade something i would like to make it faster and use everything maya would give me…
just opening is still the old rig…

Thanks for all the replies.

This was a simple rig I created in maya 2018 to test stuff. I can’t post any files because of NDA, but I will say this is a Lego model so it’s got a lot of parts, hence the need for a proxy rig in older versions of maya.

oglu, thank you. ogs -reset worked like a charm on a lot of our problems.

I’m slowly finding work arounds for the rest, although the new “Hide on playback” attribute (which I really like) breaks script jobs set to attribute change because the visibility change triggers it. Anyone know a work around for that one?

if i would upgrade something i would like to make it faster and use everything maya would give me…
just opening is still the old rig…

There are tons of reasons to use newer versions of Maya without changing rigs. It’s just confusing to tell people that “2018 is a lot different and it’ll be a lot of work” and it encourages people to stay on ancient versions for no good reason.

oglu, thank you. ogs -reset worked like a charm on a lot of our problems.

Resetting the viewport just points to a viewport problem. Maybe try turning GPU Override off (it’s never been stable for me, but I have a pretty old GPU).

I’m slowly finding work arounds for the rest, although the new “Hide on playback” attribute (which I really like) breaks script jobs set to attribute change because the visibility change triggers it. Anyone know a work around for that one?

You could probably group the object, so the visibility change is on a separate (parent) node than the one you’re trying to control directly, but that’s not very convenient if you need to do it on a lot of objects individually. I doubt there’s a way to distinguish why the attribute changed…

you could be right that my posts could encourages people to stay on old maya versions… i hope not… they should put the work into new rigs and upgrade there workflow…

Even with the problems I’m experiencing, there are enough new features and improvements to make me want to work all the problems out.

Now I’m hitting a much more annoying problem though, inconsistency.

I’ve been fighting with speed problems and getting a rig to run fast enough, but it now seems it’s not the rig at all but maya.

I have a test scene with 4 lego space ships that will sometimes run at 100 FPS and on other times only 20 FPS?
Right now I have 3 versions of maya open with the same test scene of 4 ships open. If I press play on 2 of them I get 80 to 100 fps playback, but the other one only plays at 18 to 20 fps?

I have another test scene that will only play at 16 fps but it’s the same 4 ships?

Can anyone suggest a reason for inconsistent performance?

really hard to tell without seeing the scene, could be anything, custom nodes, badly written plugin (parallel evaluation wise ), maybe even drivers.

To start you can run the evaluation Profiler to detect where is the bottle neck

It turns out it was RedShift. As soon as it was unloaded, the frame rate shot up to 120 FPS.

interesting, i also use redshift. Are you able to point out exactly the issue?
What was the result of the profiler? Is it a specific node from RS?

I personally don’t use Redshift as I’m a technical animator, but it’s on my machine for rendering at night. Our lighter posted this to the Redshift forums which include a video.

https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/19050/

ok thanks, i will follow the thread over there.