Maya 2011 User Interface Font size

After some searching and playing around with the MayaStrings file I figured out how to increase the font size in the Maya 2011 User Interface.

Someone had a solution for MAC but wasnt sure if it would work for those of Us that use Windows

Programs/Autodesk/Maya/resources/MayaStrings

I edited it with notepad.

I also did a desktop recording and uploaded it to My YouTube account to show others how I did it, Ive noticed there has been some people that have asked about it.

I registered here for this sole purpose to inform anyone who might be interested.

My origianal post is here: http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-maya/autodesk-maya-2011/interface-font-size/page-2/

I hope this is okay to post a link to another forum that i posted on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWC4DV2_IQg&feature=player_embedded

The way i uploaded the video, only people in the US can see it cause i uped a Korn song inside the vid, will redo it tonight

Hope this will help someone :cool:

Thanks. I’ll take a look - it would certainly help these tired old eyes…

I did a lot of testing on the Mac version a while ago, since the Mac font is blurrier than it should be. I found Verdana 11 is best and wrote a shell script to change it for Mac users here:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr.com/post/2133934131

It also changes the monospace font to something a lot better than Courier

Im really interested in, if this works for Ya, maybe you can drop a line or 2 to let Us know if you got the results You were looking for.

I havent tried to go any higher

I’m interested in seing your youtube video, but it’s banned for music copyright issues (Sony) in my country - Denmark.
Is there anyway to fix this, maybe add it to vimeo? I’d love to check it out.

Cheers

Thank you very much johnnybob:thumbsup:
If you don’t mind, I’m putting here verbal instructions for those who can’t see the video.
For Windows go to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2011\resources and open MayaStrings file in a text editor like WordPad.
Search for this part:
s_TschemeResources.rBoldLabelFont_mac = “11,1,0,0,0,0,Lucida Grande”
s_TschemeResources.rBoldLabelFont_nix = “11,1,0,0,0,0,Arial”
s_TschemeResources.rBoldLabelFont_win = “11,1,0,0,0,0,Tahoma”
s_TschemeResources.rFixedWidthFont_mac = “12,0,0,0,0,1,Courier”
s_TschemeResources.rFixedWidthFont_nix = “12,0,0,0,0,1,Courier New”
s_TschemeResources.rFixedWidthFont_win = “12,0,0,0,0,1,Courier New”
s_TschemeResources.rObliqueLabelFont_mac = “11,0,1,0,0,0,Lucida Grande”
s_TschemeResources.rObliqueLabelFont_nix = “11,0,1,0,0,0,Arial”
s_TschemeResources.rObliqueLabelFont_win = “11,0,1,0,0,0,Tahoma”
s_TschemeResources.rPlainLabelFont_mac = “11,0,0,0,0,0,Lucida Grande”
s_TschemeResources.rPlainLabelFont_nix = “11,0,0,0,0,0,Arial”
s_TschemeResources.rPlainLabelFont_win = “11,0,0,0,0,0,Tahoma”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallBoldLabelFont_mac = “10,1,0,0,0,0,Lucida Grande”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallBoldLabelFont_nix = “10,1,0,0,0,0,Arial”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallBoldLabelFont_win = “10,1,0,0,0,0,Tahoma”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallFixedWidthFont_mac = “10,0,0,0,0,1,Courier”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallFixedWidthFont_nix = “10,0,0,0,0,1,Courier New”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallFixedWidthFont_win = “11,0,0,0,0,1,Courier New”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallObliqueLabelFont_mac = “10,0,1,0,0,0,Lucida Grande”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallObliqueLabelFont_nix = “10,0,1,0,0,0,Arial”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallObliqueLabelFont_win = “10,0,1,0,0,0,Tahoma”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallPlainLabelFont_mac = “10,0,0,0,0,0,Lucida Grande”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallPlainLabelFont_nix = “10,0,0,0,0,0,Arial”
s_TschemeResources.rSmallPlainLabelFont_win = “10,0,0,0,0,0,Tahoma”
s_TschemeResources.rTinyBoldLabelFont_mac = “9,1,0,0,0,0,Lucida Grande”
s_TschemeResources.rTinyBoldLabelFont_nix = “9,1,0,0,0,0,Arial”
s_TschemeResources.rTinyBoldLabelFont_win = “9,1,0,0,0,0,Tahoma”

The number representing font size is the first number following _win which stands for the Windows platform. Change all lines with _win to a higher number. On my screen with a native resolution of 109 pixels per inch, fonts size 13 of Tahoma looks good. You can also change the font by typing the desired font name.

Im currently working on the video without the music (Korn-Thoughtless). and ill reup to My account and post the link here dude

EDIT: Hers the Link Dude http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpnqUsE2oFk

Sweet! Thank you so much. That’s awesome

Changed all the _win entries to 13 = Happy Camper
Thanks much.:applause:

Glad to see You guys are getting good results and thank You to “cgbeige” for Your instructions for MAC :cool:

I uped mine to 15. Maybe a lil overkill but there is no doubt that its legible :cool:

the problem with making sizes a lot bigger is that button sizes are set up for the defaults, so you’ll probably have a lot of scripts or areas of the UI that are cropped. Verdana 11 on the Mac is a little wider and some of my MEL UIs are slightly cropping the fonts. It’s a worthwhile trade-off for me but at 15pt, you’ll see a lot of that.

I have not run into a problem like that as of yet but i will post here if i do with Windows, i havent tried it on My MAC yet but i really only use that for one of My render farm machines, but every once in awhile i like the fact of being able to do things on My MAC OS but every now and then it gets a lil shakey with 1 of the apps i like to run so I geniunely do alot of my web design and 3D motion grfx and modeling on My windows 7 64 bit OS. I definately have nothing bad to say about MAC though. Hats off to Steve and the Hell Hounds :cool:

Ive noticed that increasing the Fonts in windows has also increased the size of My icons in My shelves too.

I tried to follow all these instructions, but it doesnt seem to work, my eyes are always tired iof looking small font sizes…cant one help pls. I open the mayastring s file in text editor and changed the font size to 13, restarted maya —nothing.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.