May 2016 - Christie Klinger

Greetings everyone-- this is my first challenge and I’m SO excited! What a fantastic learning experience this will be. Concepts to come in a couple days.

More soon!

Welcome to the forum!

I look forward to seeing your work :slight_smile:

Thanks, Drewsen! Happy to be here.

I made a very simple blockout of my favorite concept. I figured the space elevator wouldn’t just be an elevator, it would also serve as a theme park or mall (maximize the capitalism). So huge neon advertisements hang from it and people can use it for travel and/or entertainment. I am also playing around with the idea of having roller coaster track peak out of the bottom of the square structure. Let me know what you think!

Thanks, Drewsen! Happy to be here.

I created a very simple block-out of my concept. I was thinking that the space elevator wouldn’t just be an elevator, it would be also serve as a living complex, mall, or theme park (maybe all?). So huge neon advertisements hang from it and (rich) people can live in the elevator structure. I am also playing around with the idea of having roller coaster track peak out of the square structure. Let me know what you think!

Cool concept, definitely thinking outside the box

Not sure if that pun was intended but I liked it.

I agree with Felipe though, Christie it’s a cool idea, it is as though the space elevator is so intrinsically a part of the culture that it is literally a part of it.

Regarding the composition, the elevator itself is very central, this can be a good or bad thing depending on who you speak to.

I think compositionally a classic central position gives a strong harmony to the image, bit isn’t very dynamic.

Personally I think it works for this, but I would compliment it by leading the viewers eye around the image, and adding some interesting elements to make sure people don’t just stare straight at the centre.

It looks as though you are already doing this, nice work.

Hello Christie! Nice concept :). Especially I like how the elevator disappear somewhere in the light of that box-like structure - it creates impression of infinity. I agree with what Andrew wrote about composition. Keep it up!

Regards
Jonatan

Thanks for the helpful feedback, Andrew (and others!). I agree with you about the composition-- after I started adding some details it felt like it was missing something somehow. So I changed to camera angle a bit and added some height to the image. I will share an update tomorrow! :slight_smile:

Alright, WIP 1 (hopefully enough to give everyone an idea of where I’m going, I’m lovin’ the new perspective):

That’s an interesting start. Maybe try making your lens a bit wider, or showing some FG elements?

Nice start.

Thanks for the feedback, Milan! Hopefully I made things a bit more dynamic with this update. I still have a lot of details to polish/add, but it’s coming along.

Klinger_Round3

Still lots to finalize, but I took it as far as I could for the challenge! Thanks a ton everyone, it’s been a blast and I’ve learned a ton. :slight_smile: Hope to see more of these challenges in the future.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/70lzzagpqosqcpb/cgsociety_Christie_Round4.jpg?dl=0