Maxon demo reel

Hi,

I hate it to say bad things about Maxon but after downloading the new demo reel I have
to say I was really disappointed. I hoped to see some cool CA but no only boring commercial
and title work. Only exception is the Happyship/Zephyr stuff and this funny toon render.
I saw some days ago the Blender Siggraph demoreel and its much more artistic and there
are even some cool and very funny CA’s, even its more a slideshow.

sorry just a little rant but it had to be out :slight_smile:

Bob

The room with the Bee, that was pretty impressive, especially after the vray thread the other week. I see your point though, the reel was a little ‘4 years ago’ looking, but still i’m sure there’s more to come.

yeah, exactly. if you look on Maxon’s older demoreels they look much same and even better.
the bee was a good render though.

I’m sorry, ‘boring commercial and title work?’ :wink:

That’s how I pay my rent! :slight_smile: That boring stuff is responsible for hundreds and hundreds of C4D seats in southern California and NYC. They have a lot of examples of this stuff to choose from because Maxon makes a lot of sales to that market. Ease of use and mac-friendliness means designers can use C4D productively.

Ever hear of ‘SportsCenter’? The new titles were all C4D. (SC is the US’s biggest sports show.)

Me, I just wish they had gotten hold of the better stuff done by users, like newer V12, newer Bück, newer Josh Graham, newer Brand New School, newer Troika–like SportsCenter. And some of the cuts they took from things (‘Daredevil’ for example) weren’t close to the best parts.

ok, maybe not correct to say boring. but if you look on older demoreels there is
many commercial stuuf too but I think it was more innovative and artistic. I remember
the olympic clip, the sorcerer of music and some other nice CA’s in older demoreels.
I am only a hobbyist and this is of course only my opinion. I really respect your point of view.

Bob

I thought it was a little less that was possible really - the previous one was more dynamic I think.

Nothing wrong with all the credit work in it, but there should have been a better balance with other animation stuff, as well as some more illustrative stills maybe - as it is now, it does look almost like the app is geared mostly towards TV idents.

Actually, the other thing is, why didn’t it have a couple of those scenes that Carles Piles turned into simple animations in there too? - his work is highly regarded, and adorns most other facets of the Cinema merchandising.

Yeah, I’d have like to have scene his cave scene in there. Otherwise though I think they did nice job with it.

“Ease of use and mac-friendliness means designers can use C4D productively”

Govinda, C4D usability on a Mac may well equate to ‘C4D productivity’.

I know you Mac guys suffer the raw end of the deal when it comes to 3D software, things are slowly changing. But why suffer? I can safely say that Cinema runs better on a PC, the stability and work flow is much quicker.

Let’s just say, for the Price of a new G5 Mac, I purchased 2 P4’s at 3.2ghz and still had change.

Now that’s C4D Productivity for you.

Lol! - what ‘raw end of the deal’ is that then?? - I don’t think as a Mac user you suffer as much as a PC user with Windows for heavens sake - Cinema runs no differently from what I have seen, and stability is the same - ie: it is very stable.
The last thing a Mac user needs is more melodrama and fiction about ‘the plight we seem to suffer’ :rolleyes:

Thanks for the laugh though! :thumbsup:

Back to topic!..

I never mentioned overall system stability, I said, ‘when it comes to 3D software’.

I don’t want to get into a Mac vs PC fight, because you see, it’s not my hardware that makes me an outstanding designer. It’s me.

I don’t want to get into a Mac vs PC fight, because you see, it’s not my hardware that makes me an outstanding designer. It’s me

Right - so is that with that Ego XP or Ego 2000? :cool:

And no, there is no need to start another futile Mac vs PC debate - it’s moot and irrelavent anyway, just don’t make daft statements about how Mac users seem to suffer somehow that’s all! :thumbsup:

yes, but this is just your opinion. i’ve used cinema on mac and pc and find the mac experience to be superior to that of the pc.

a lot of this boils down to how do you FEEL when you using the application/computer. under the mac the experience of using the computer feels better than when i use a pc - how much store you put by this will certainly vary from person to person.

looking at the whole landscape of what people us cinema for i can see a whole raft of reasons that put Apple in a good light, not the least the editing apps like Final Cut and now Motion. Raw speed is just one factor to consider when deciding which way to spend your hard earned cash.

personally speaking i can see that a mac with a pc render farm would give the ‘ultimate’ overall performance for the sort of work i would do as a freelancer.

cheers, simon w.

personally speaking i can see that a mac with a pc render farm would give the ‘ultimate’ overall performance for the sort of work i would do as a freelancer

I agree - that is the ideal setup really.

Some debates are healthy. I keep it very clean and professional for the most part here.

You see, it’s not about having a big ego friend, I’ve been very unpretentious and modest about my work until recently, I’ve been handed about 1000 portfolio’s from people who make outlandish claims to be great designers and 3D animators.

I’m interviewing potential 3D animators and Graphic Designers for a business venture that I and an investor are starting. I’m in a position to judge, because I’m looking for the best out there.

I spoke with a young lady (designer) on the phone this morning, who asked me “why we will be using PC’s and not Mac’s, and that good designers use Mac’s”

She swore she was the best I would see today, that her work was ‘ground-breaking’ which is what we asked for.
I took one look at her portfolio and closed it down within 30 seconds.
As I have done with about 200 portfolio’s who made claim to the precious Mac with their college degrees and in the box design techniques.

I believe that the road to success in Art, isn’t paved by a good education, an Art Degree and the firm belief that you simply must own a Mac. That just breeds pretension in people who have no talent, and the fact that they’re eluded by this fantasy annoys me.

What I do as a profession is 3D for a Pharmaceutical advertising company.
In my own opinion and judging by most major animations studio’s, including the one I work at, PC’s are the choice for 3-Dimensional work. Bottom line. It’s the kids with ‘Ego’s’ that come in demanding that we must have Macs everywhere to make for productivity. Mac’s have made for nightmares where I work.

Ahh, ITC, you got hit with that ‘designers only use Macs’ thing. Of course you should smack that down. We designers are, on occasion, a little soft in the head. Ask one of my cohorts to do a quick Excel spreadsheet some time…

But the ‘war’ is a completely moot point in my field. I go to a studio and I use what they have. The count so far has been 99% Macs and 1% PCs. As for that 1%, I used AE exclusively as it was a well-known Max shop, and there I experienced the joy of 25 crashes my first day, whereupon we fixed a few things, then only six crashes per day thereafter.

Aside from the crashes, which I expected, the only thing I really missed was OS X’s system-wide color picker. The ‘experience’ on either for me leaves me almost completely agnostic.

BTW Simon, the majority of mograph places in LA are doing the ‘design it on a mac, render it on a PC-only farm’ trick. Some complain of procedural noise flicker from their net renders, but I haven’t seen it myself.

I would not even start to claim or state that a Mac makes any difference to what you can or cannot do, it’s a tool like any other, and if you think PC’s are the better tools for the job then there is nothing I can, or even care to say that will convince you otherwise!

The young lady you referred to sounds like she was naive and hungry, and maybe she did lack talent, but what has that to do with the fact that she used Macs? - she was deluded, and probably fed rubbish by her tutors who have never actually earned a living as an artist themselves, to think that Macs made any difference to how good she was! - lol! - but hey, there is one born every minute I am afraid.

Sadly, the inverse is also completely true, and what I get tired of, is the same silly statements made the other way:

for example:

“I know you Mac guys suffer the raw end of the deal when it comes to 3D software, things are slowly changing. But why suffer? I can safely say that Cinema runs better on a PC, the stability and work flow is much quicker.”

An ignorant and incorrect statement, coupled with some sarcasm for good measure!.

I could say that people that choose to use a Mac, generally do so, because they are tired of suffering PCs, but then that’s not your experience, so the wheel keeps turning…

:slight_smile:

Anyway - what was the topic again?

you deliver as much sarcasm as you get.

let’s hope our talents never have to be ‘compared’ bryce boy

end of conversation.

*sorry mod’s

I do, tis true!, but I didn’t use any in my reply to you then, I clarified why I was at odds to your daft statements, which you have decided not to respond to, but instead you even resorted to juvenile and argumentative comments!?!?:

I can see why you might feel that way! :cool: - thanks!
but… ‘bryce boy’? - is that meant as some kind of insult or what!? lol!

So I see… :rolleyes:

bah, don’t stop now, this was just getting interesting