Max9 mental ray shader thread?

Tis’ still moving waay too slowly for my taste…but I’m keeping hope that progress will happen soon.

If you hadn’t check yet, www.mymentalray.com might end up being the best place for the material library

Jeff, what your settings for the 100% white material?

It was using some jpg’s that I made in Photoshop for the diffuse color, reflectivity mask, and bump (text area).

But if you wanted to just use a color, I’d probably start with the default settings on the A&D material. Change the diffuse color to white (or almost pure white). Set the reflectivity to 0.3 and the 0 deg. refl. amount to 0.1…and that should be close.

Any news of this topic?

'fraid not! I’m still waiting on the host to find time to work with me on the project…I’ll fire off an email to my primary contact. If I don’t see some signs of life by the end of next week then I think it’ll be time to search for another host.

Well progress on the website was made (yaaay!), so it shouldn’t be too much longer before it’s ready to go. :thumbsup:

Sounds like good things are happening!
Jeff how are you figuring this site will position itself
with the ‘mymentalray’ one getting up and running?
Just as a materials only repository/sharing resource or
more general MR as that site is?

Regards
Bri

Hey Brian,

The folks I’m working with are mainly creating a material repository, however there is a decent sized forum there already. I don’t think this repository will affect the mymentalray site. It’ll just be another option for people to browse…and I honestly figure the mymentalray site will really start to blossom once they get their material section up and running! They have such a great looking site, you just know the material section is going to be amazing too. :buttrock:

Sounds very cool. You can never have too many choices. :applause:

Regards
Bri

Anything new in the horizon or a permanent link this glory ? :smiley:

Anybody have any thoughts on how to make a terry cloth shader ?

thanks

Any updates? Really looking forward to this…

These A&D settings may get you close:
Roughness = 0.65
Reflectivity = 0.5
Glossiness = 0.125
(Highlights & FG only mode enabled)
then add a fairly rough bump or displacement map.

No news for me to post…other than it’s still in the works from what I hear.

Hy,everyone,i’m new to the site and i’m new to the randering stuff…i’m working in architecture and i used maxwell …but is too slow…and i got verry impresed by mental ray 3.5…a site with materials it’s a dream man…if it gonna happen i will build you a statue man…:))…keep the good work!!!

Any news on this?

THANKS JEFF … a good starting point !

Hi, some great looking textures and test scenes here. Looking forward to the website going live. Just a question to Jeff about the glass renders:

Are you using a standard MR dialectric material or a custom shader (A&D?) ? Also, what kind of settings are you using?

keep up the great work!

I’d really like to learn how to create a great looking aluminium shader using A&D. Haven’t really been able to get what I want by modifying the A&D Chrome Shader.

Hi guys,

I haven’t used mental ray since max 6 - so a lot has changed from the looks of it so i’m still catching up. I wonder if anyone knows how to get a good felt effect with mental ray. I don’t really want to use a plugin like fur.

Also found this link for felt based render
I don’t really know what they use to render