Max World Axis

Hey guys I sure hope you can save my skin. I have been animating in max and exporting the animations to maya via filmbox. The problem is the z axis in max and maya are different in max its up and down and in maya its forward to back, Therefore when i export the animations its flipping them, therefore becoming useless to the game. Is there a way to change the axis and save my animations. If i dont figure this out i have to start from scratch and rig and animate in maya which i dont want to do.

help plz,

you guys are great
drew

Have you tried just rotating the pivot under max? That works for us. (Under the hierachy tab and “affect pivot only”).

that doesnt work. it rotates everything fine but the actual axis remain the same, z is still up and down.

Maybe try http://www.tb-software.com/

I find this good for converting lw to max, it corrects the axis, dunno how much of your rigging it will handle, but worth a try?

Cheers

Maybe try http://www.tb-software.com/

I find this good for converting lw to max, it corrects the axis, dunno how much of your rigging it will handle, but worth a try?

Cheers

thank you for the suggestion and link but we need to use filmbox because we are using renderware.arrghh this thing still isnt working please keep shooting me ideas it gives me hope :slight_smile:

drew

A shot in the dark: Don’t spose rotating the whole object into the correct alignments in Max (ie 90° into the z axis) then exporting would work?

Cheers

This might not work for the imported animation, but there’s an option in the general preferences for Maya that allows you to change whether the Z axis or the Y axis is up or down. I know that in Maya 6.0 it is under the General Settings in the Window>Preferences

It’s at the top of the options box under World Coordinate System.

Hope this might help.

-Chris

haha thanks guys, well its been awhile since i posted this so i have since then rerigged and animated in maya exclusively instead of the messy business of exporting and importing. The poblem is all the translations need to be zeroed out to work in the game engine so rotating it would not have worked, and changing the axis as it turns out would have not worked either because everything else in the game was using that coord system. so THanks for the replies much appreciated allthough at this point in time usless.

allthough at this point in time usless.

Like books in a Library, or a spellchecker? - Never useless because this is the matrix & we all learn from the collective trials of others. Thanks.

-S

Just wondering if you’re aware of the sparks program by discreet.

Usually the developers are member there and it helps to write your own exporters for such things.

http://sparks.discreet.com

Check it out.

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.