I´m looking into ways to convert a 3ds max rig into a workable maya rig.
I don´t need the animation transferred, just the rig, so a maya animator could work on the animation and give me back the animated mesh via alembic ( no need to send the rig back to Max).
My most burning questions:
- Is it even possible to transfer a custom bone based rig (no Biped or CAT) for animation from max to maya, or can I just transfer animated bones? I´m thinking about all the helpers and constraints usually used to build a custom bone based rig…
- Can I just transfer the bones and skin, or is there a way to also transfer control objects with wiring parameters or constraints, WITHOUt baking the (at this point) non-existent animation?
- if not…do I still need someone with maya experience to help me with setting up controls for the rig, or is there a workaround for this?
- Since I don´t wanna do a bone based facial rig (its probabyl not necessary and also I don´t know how to do that…;)…I should be able to at least transfer all morph targets stored in a morpher modifier and they should come out in maya as blendshapes, right? So all I would need to do is to have someone set up a control system for that as well, right?
- Is FBX still ignoring any modifiers above skin? So I won´t be able to use skinmorphs for correcting skinning issues?
I can probably work around that by either setting up a very basic bone based muscle rig, or simply using mush3D to correct anything after animation on a per shot basis.
- Are these all the problems I might encounter or are there other things to consider?
I´m also gonna post this in the maya and 3dsmax forum, just in case anybody is wondering.
If you wanna know why I´m even bothering, I´m happy to tell you the full back story, but I´m mostly interested in the answers to the above questions…