max 6 wishlist

Ability to hide sub object selections in render

aah!, i liked this feature in old grandpaa of max (3D Studio) & i
used to using it very often! 3d studio had very good features
that they disapeared in max (like freehand shape draw)

Originally posted by ila_solomon
aah!, i liked this feature in old grandpaa of max (3D Studio) & i
used to using it very often! 3d studio had very good features
that they disapeared in max (like freehand shape draw)

Scriptable! :slight_smile:
(I had a version for R2.5 four years ago, a simplified version ships as a tutorial in the max 5 MAXScript Online Help with complete comments)

jmonkey2000:

If you are a personal user of the program then I can see your point? But when you in a studio-based environment when co-workers are specifically assigned titles as in “Modeller”, “Technical Director (Character Rigger)”, “Animator”, “Lighter” and “Shader” and “Render Assistant” gimp, then these are totally neccessary.

And when I said Customising… I meant when you pick your Module, say Animation - Character, I meant all the stupid little Link Buttons, Assign SpaceWarp, Modelling feature sets, a modify list without any “UVW Map” or Physique options sitting in there because your animating, not Rigging or applying shaders, so why should you be able to see that crap?

Units, yeah, total Ar£e, how can a CG program have Imperial measurements, better off with one unit, and it is to you what you want it to be (mm,cm,m)

How big is a dust particle in your typical scene? I’ve never seen one 2 feet big. Sure… In that case your 6’2" tall Character could be then be 1000 feet tall, right, how does the renderer know that? It doesn’t. But in areas of Global Illumination, when you want proper colour bouncing and blending with adjacent angles, and especially when dealing with Photorealistic rendered crap you want the LIGHT settings to give the information… and not have to change the Render Dialogue box for stuff like Strength of Mix or whatever.

If an elongated Spherical-Deflector of 2 units long is running through a Plane with a Flex modifier and Softbody springs and weights, you have to labouriously change is settings (and sometimes animate those settings over time) to simulat the effect that the deflector is in fact simulating a boat moving through it and the plane is water. When the user wants fast results, the software doesn’t and shouldn’t need to question the INITIAL behaviour of the plane/water if there was a single set measurement system.

Nasa - an American bunch of guys too, for example, see the benefits of using the Metric system when they calculate distance. Distance that is insanely small and insanely far away. As do architects and draftsmen.

Materials to be called shaders, why?

Because in Maxscript the term Shader is used.
Maya, Softimage 3D, XSI all use them.
Alot a 3rd Party Renderer languages use them.
Renderman/BMRT w/MaxMan, MentalRay, Brazil (and Slutterfish note this fact too)…

Why should I pay lots for a package that I only use half the tools for?

Exactly

Gonzo The Great - I like the way you think

Yeah… me too!

Better support for HDRI

Native handling of the .obj format

Linux version… no real excuse for their not to be one.

Yes. Yes. And DEFINATELY

Originally posted by Bobo
Scriptable! :slight_smile:

How about the extrude gizmo? You should see it man, it really kicks ass.

I forgot…

By 2D Lightbox, are you talking about custom Ghosting?

No. Ghosting is what you’ve ALREADY done. The lightbox thing is for what you want to do. Your drawing is simply like a Photoshop Layer with 50% or whatever transparency and the Maximised Camera Viewport is like the Opaque Photoshop Background Layer. Useful if your CG animation is “stiff” and you would like to see how you would do it as a “looser” drawn thing.

Another thing it would be useful for is to better blend Foreground Hand Drawn Animation/Live Action Plate with Alpha over CG midground. Hand Drawn is done after CG I know, but out of sync 2D elements can be fixed again in a simple camera move or jilt.

The Background Viewport is of course only good for… the Background.

I am scripting this thing at the moment.

When I was talking about modules I was talking about add on features sort of like how Maya used to have Maya FX and Maya Power Modeler. It just assumes most people won’t need everything rolled into one. Why should I pay lots for a package that I only use half the tools for?

I kind of have always viewed Max as already being that via third party plug-ins.

I think the main reason why Discreet doesn’t upgrade everything as effectively as everyone would like is expressly due to the fact that it seems to have been designed for third party plug-in expandability. If they made all of the improvements that everyone wants here, a lot of third party plug-in makers wouldnt’ really have a reason for being.

Someties I’ve wonder if this will end up bieing a limiting factor for Max. Like the makers of Discreet either have to let go of the idea of third party plug-in people and just develop the package as more complete and update to date all in one package or hang on with just modifying Max enough to keep most people happy and if those people want more advanced or expensive features included with their Max software, they can just buy the plug-ins they need as they need or can afford to get them.

Also, this in my opinion is a indirect strength for max too because I really believe that a company devoted to making a plug-in that specifically attacks a certain aspect of 3dcgi, like a renderer, is going to have a better and more refined product than a software company that tries to combine every single possible new and upgradeable feature that rolls out with each iteration of the software and evolution of the this industry in general.

It’s like the plug-in people can focus more fiercely and directly with the aspect that their plug-n addresses than a say Discreet could by trying to make a general package that tries to address everything continuously.

I’d like to see an addition to the end user agreement that forbids speculating on what features version 12 will have!:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
J/K guys!!! Some interesting Ideas!

I wish MAX and all the 3D software out there to stop making it more easy, plain and simple. I wish it is a software that is difficult to comprehand likewise all the other 3d software out there!

I wish it is a software that requires a learning curve that is equal to that of one becoming a doctor! I wish people will be put out with the difficulty of churning out materials of any good UNLESS they are educated in’em.

there i said it! I just couldn’t help myself there. :slight_smile:

Somehow during client confrontation there will be a puss that will sour the whole deal because he/she could churn out something by just pressing a button (and guess what, that is all that person know) and he/she will brag on how easy it is to use it! Alas the pricing!! So, hope software will be just like houdini!

…please make the software for pro and not a toy where suits could dictate what is difficult?

TQ

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gonzo The Great
[B]jmonkey2000:

“If you are a personal user of the program then I can see your point? But when you in a studio-based environment when co-workers are specifically assigned titles as in “Modeller”, “Technical Director (Character Rigger)”, “Animator”, “Lighter” and “Shader” and “Render Assistant” gimp, then these are totally neccessary.”
[\QUOTE]

I’m a personal user and I have been in a studio environment, I was a department head on a 65 episode TV series, I was a lighting lead on the world cup animated TV series, and now i’m working on a CG film.
I’ve used ‘max’ since 3DStudio dos v1.0, when it was modular, it was ok then but I feel an open system as it is now is better. Maybe you have a case for Max ‘skins’ where features are removed that are not needed. This would be better as you could switch skins as needed. And if your studio needs its own custom skins, then you could make them and distribute them…

Yeah, units are basicly metric and you can make of them what you will, mind you if you get your project scale ‘wrong’ and it causes you problems, thats yer own fault.

And the name Shaders? should we rename the medit to hypershade? or rendertree, and the dope sheet? WSM? etc etc.
Shader is a name to describe a concept (a non real world concept, like shaders can displace to create tree’s in renderman) Max’s name is just as innacurate as shader, we all know what a shader is and what a material is… not really a wishlist item I think…

Chris Thomas

Originally posted by derelict
[B]I wish MAX and all the 3D software out there to stop making it more easy, plain and simple. I wish it is a software that is difficult to comprehand likewise all the other 3d software out there!

I wish it is a software that requires a learning curve that is equal to that of one becoming a doctor! I wish people will be put out with the difficulty of churning out materials of any good UNLESS they are educated in’em.

there i said it! I just couldn’t help myself there. :slight_smile:

Somehow during client confrontation there will be a puss that will sour the whole deal because he/she could churn out something by just pressing a button (and guess what, that is all that person know) and he/she will brag on how easy it is to use it! Alas the pricing!! So, hope software will be just like houdini!

…please make the software for pro and not a toy where suits could dictate what is difficult?

TQ [/B]

Why would you want software to be harder, say an industry such as capcon(named changed for legal reason) wanted to switch from maya to xsi. If xsi had the absolute perfect tools for the job but has insanly hard to learn then why would the company buy it? I do understand where you come from having every 14 year old kid using programs they learned solely of the internet, but that still doesnt make up for it.

But its a contraction to areas of Maxscript.

I was around co-workers who set aside 3 weeks of their normal job to create a set shaders for max needed for a new project. Some of them new to Max programming and they also found it stupid, as is this debate.

I originally hated the term ‘shaders’! but lets not go there :stuck_out_tongue:

I asume you mean as you directly said about the shader debate being stupid and not this thread. I find that even if discreet only uses 1 good idea here itll be worth it.

Dr-spline try to understand where i’m coming from. As i said, why not make it houdini style packages. The software do not get flame for its difficulty…infact it is one of the easy packages out there if one have a programming bg. NOw that is one package that no simple joe would be cought dead with. :slight_smile:

I do understand about churning things as fast as possible but those packages are not really helping the industry. Just look at the earnings from the 90’s and compare that now.

Anyway this thread is a wish list thread, am i right? So, THAT was my wish. Period.

Ps/ if the package company plans to make it easy…make it script easy.

Surely the sign of something good is that primarily it is usable… from the base to the depths… i.e extensibilty. At the moment Max is and … er… isn’t. :smiley:

Another one:

Abilty to affect pivot only on sub object selections… that would be really useful. :slight_smile:

FINALLY, I just found a soft selection falloff manip script (say that 5 times fast :slight_smile: ). I’ve been asking everybody I know for this for… forever.

Not exactly perfect but (still want one like XSI) but I’m not complaining. :slight_smile:

THANKS Martin :thumbsup:

No problem. :slight_smile:

You should also check out all of Bobo’s manipulator scripts. I use them all the time.

Martin

‘Abilty to affect pivot only on sub object selections… that would be really useful’

i’m guessing that you’d want this function so you could perform subobject scaling or rotation from a given point. if that’s what you’re looking to do, you can do this in max by using 3d snap and applying the transform from any 3d snap that you have highlighted.
also, make sure you’re not using ‘use pivot point center’

You are guessing perfectly correctly Gundog :)…I’ve just tried using snaps however to do this and am not able to get it to work that way.
A good example… I have a character figure and I sub object select the arm which in an ideal world I would like to rotate at the shoulder…the pivot point locates around the hand so I have to rotate and then move the whole selection down to a point approximately where I would like it to be… which is kinda messy. How would I use snaps in this scenario??? :slight_smile:

Check the following thread for details. It works. Not like Mirai, but it’s there, kind of:

Martin, your soft selection manipulator works great with shaded faces in max 5. Very good idea. I also appreciate your UVW relax tool. Thanks a lot.

Now, I’ll just keep pushing my extrude manipulator agenda. I use Jozef tools that let you duplicate and either move or scale or rotate polys (3 separate tools). Now, if it duplicated polys and added an all-in-one gizmo it would be perfect.

Thanks v. much Dvornik…I’ll try that tomorrow… bed beckons. :slight_smile: