Master and Servant Challenge FAQ/Answers/Questions (Update 24 March 2005)

Heres a question. I dont know if it has been answered or not. I want to try my hand and compete with all these talented people, however when it comes to coloring your picture i am completely lost. Is it by any chance possible to enter without that ability? You see, all i own is a 11x14 sketchpad and 3 different types of pencils.

I can get a bigger paper, but i dont know how to scan that.

dioxide:

I would forget about what you think you can/cannot do and just go for it. Honestly, I would think they might be looking for the whole package to see an artists skill level (color, compositiong, dynamics, etc…) but I think if someone made a killer monotone piece, they would consider it. But my advice would be this:
If you don’t feel comfortable with color, join the group and try and come up with a concept that requires you to use color. Do some research and participate in the community to get people to your page and give you some advice. There’s no class or school that will teach you as much as challenging yourself in a community that will critique you and give you advice. So I’d say go for it, put some effort into it, and no matter what the outcome of the contest, you’ll be a better artist because of it

Thats just crazy enough to work. Ok this will be my first attempt at doing… anything.

I am a 2d artist who primarily uses Photoshop but have recently developed a liking for Z-Brush, if I were to do elements in z-brush but ended up with most post work in photoshop what catergory does that put me under 2D or 3D?

Apologies if I posted in the wrong thread, I’m new to Forums!

Ok, here’s my question. Many artists (from what I understand), use a base mesh to kick start their “human” characters from. Is this an acceptable practice for a cg challenge. I’d hate to have to throw out a perfectly good head just because it didn’t start from a single poly or a cube.

Thanks,
Daoine

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project…is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background…like a matte painting?
A: Yes.

In the other QA there was a question about post-trickery… so… is it allowed to compile the final picture from 2D and 3D elements (for 3D challenge), for example some small details or light effects (volume light) etc. made in 2d and can all the layers (even 3d) be postprocessed (fe. color balance, using 2d overlay to darken shadows, DoF-effect etc…)

Just curious where does the too-much-post-edited 3d-line go?

hi!

this has been asked before, but as no response has been given I must insist :smiley:

Must the human character be alive? or can it be just a part of it? I think I can get this servant and master relationship without showing the entire human (nor even his face).

My concept is quite complicated and I need to know if I have to change it before I get started, and… I want to start!

thank you

No doubt the forum calms down a bit as far as new threads go after about a week, but how am i supposed to get WIP C&C, when within a matter of minutes my post is on the second page.

Ive added a link in my sig, in hope of getting more people to look, but if i get no feedback, am i to bump my own thread, or start a new one in the 2d WIP forum? (which seems rather redundant)

its my first challenge so im not exactly sure how things go, sorry

As publishers I guess you would want 300dpi Tiff copies of the milestones.
What linear dimensions would you want ideally for these milestones?

If you take the link to my image, you’ll see the concept sketch I have submitted. I intend to use this as the base for my image. I was going to paint right overtop of it.

My question:

[b]What would my lineart be if I wasn’t planning on doing any sort of lineart?

[/b][size=2]Do you have suggestions? Would you like me to quickly create some or is there another way I can meet this milestone?[/size]

Gamoron - good point. Having read the rules I also think this needs clarification. I very rarely do line art. Indeed, I normally up-size a concept thumb and work from that. I would be interested to hear if the rules dictate that you must create your art in a certain way. I can’t imagine they would (i.e. what purpose would it serve?) but it’s better to be clear about these things.

Quick question: Can there be more than one master and servant in the image? And if so, must you focus on one particular master/servant relationship, or is it ok to just have them all? Does this make sense?

mybutterflyiris, I believe this answers your question:

The theme can encompass an entire spectrum of relationships from benevolent leader and adoring followers to maniacal dictator and abused slaves.

Since it mentions slaves and followers in plural, I believe it means there’s no restriction on the number of figures.

Since Leo hasn’t shown up here to answer the “human” questions yet … I’m going to go out on a limb and give you my best interpretation of the rule. As it states,

The relationship of master-to-servant can be human-to-creature or creature-to-human, one-to-many or many-to-one. It could be based on power and conquest, love, hate, lust, benevolence, exploitation, faith, belligerence, psychosis, fear, adoration, debt, tradition, challenge… However, the nature of these roles is one that is particular to the human condition, and therefore requires at least one human component, whether in the dominant or the submissive role.
in the most strictest interpretation, I’d say that this means that at least one character in the Master or Servant role must be human.

However, I know from previous challenges and being a part of the discussions (with the Forum Leaders and Admins) regarding the challenges that flexibility is tolerated to some extent. So, if you want to make the “human” into a mechanical, mythological or alien form my best suggestion is to make sure that this character easily demonstrates “human” characteristics. Most importantly, emotion.

Your illustration should key on a specific character(s) and it’s relation to another(others). If the role of Master & Slave is too ambiguous or vague, lacks emotional connection or has all the personality traits of a rock or toaster … then I’m afraid that you’ve violated this “human” rule of the challenge. Final judging from the panel of judges will undoubtedly pick up on these things.

So, if you want to remain within the rules … at least one human. If you want to push the rules and try something that may fit the challenge theme without a human … better make it human in ways that we associate emotional, physical or mental characteristics to homo sapiens.

Or … wait until Leo lays down the law. :smiley:

Line Art Milestone:
To be honest I am completely unsure why this milestone has been a requirement for the last two challenges and why it suddenly becomes an issue after successfully being a required milestone in the last two Challenges. Did no-one bother to say that it was redundant in the last two challenges? 2000 contestants each time and not a single comment until now? Wow.

If it’s redundant to you, then simply submit your Concept Sketch again as Line Art. I will have to check in with the others here to see if it’s really a redundant milestone and remove it before the end of the challenge if necessary. Will keep you all updated - please watch the FAQ.

Does one have to be human or can it be semi-human?
It needs to be 100% homo-sapien. I did not write the rules (it was collectively written by numerous people), but we are all accepting this as a rule and interpreting that one needs to be a ‘human’ (i.e. character depicting the globally accepted homo-sapien species form).

Sorry if this is going to deter anyone from entering the Challenge, but the rules have been set and the interpretation from the vast majority of Challengers so far (as can be seen in the entries to date) has been that one needs to be a human being. Many people have already started their concepts with humans as one of their main subjects.

Do one of the objects need to be ‘alive’?
I very honestly found this question to be very difficult to answer. I had a long discussion on the semantics and definition of what it is to be ‘alive’ or ‘animated’ with some others and quite honestly it is a total waste of everyone’s time to argue about such a philosophical subject here (don’t even try me please). So I’ll leave this one open to interpretation and say NO - SURPRISE US WITH YOUR CREATIVITY.

Other questions
I do sincerely apologise to the others whom I did not answer your questions. I had a quick glance through look and honestly, the majority of your questions have already been answered in some way, shape or form in the FAQ and Rules. I will ask other Forum Leaders to try answering the rest, as I do not have time for the more trivial questions/matters at the moment.

Thanks,

Leonard

Thanks for clearing that up Leo :thumbsup:

Q: Can I use pre-fabricated models?
A: No.

Just to clarify, please be patient with me…

This means I can’t use anything I’ve built myself before today?

I don’t see a problem with it Dimitri. You are working 3D right? If you’re going to use a photo collage or sources from other artists in your concept drawing or mock-up, just make sure that you give credit to your sources. Stick figures and basic shapes are perfectly acceptable for concept milestones too. Skilled line drawings are not a requirement for concept milestones. Just communicate your idea anyway you can (photo collage, playdough & toothpicks, photo of your action figures & toys in pose, whatever).

DO NOT use copyrighted material or source material from other artists in your finished work. That would be a major violation of rules, laws and ethics.

pixelkeg - Start from nothing.

this is my first time entering a challenge and I noticed several new entries did not post any sketch and yet they are in there. I registered but now it’s asking me to submit a concept sketch, why is that ? i don’t have anything yet, just 2 ideas I will post in writing. Also i’m not sure if one idea will be ok for some reasons.

now on cgtalk it does show my name… on cgnetworks page it’s asking me to sumbit an image. Can I skip that part for now ? or if I do that I will be deleted from cgtalk 2d challenge?