Unlike most people around here, my workflow is not very methodic. I like to keep all options open till the very end. So I don’t finish one part of the work (for example texturing) before getting to the next.
Once I have a pretty good idea of where I want to go, I set up a basic atmosphere (lights, sky, etc.) and begin modelling and texturing inside this setting. When an object (or some important part of it) is modelled, I try some textures before starting to model a new one.
So I figured, that in the spirit of this challenge, I can post the evolution of the work before getting to a final milestone.
Fist the sketch:
The first drawing I posted at the beginning of this contest showed several weaknesses, especially color related. It was very important to have warm colors in the characters so that they could stand up from the background (which would inevitably be blue, green, and gray). At that point, the flowers drew all the attention. This was unwanted.
Next, I rotated the characters mainly because the right arm was hiding the child’s face.
Finally, I placed the characters assimetrically on the right top of the scene to give them some “space to fall”. Hard to explain… To underline the fact that they are indeed flying high and there is the risk of falling down, and is therefore a dangerous situation.
The wasp changed from yellow (a bad choice of color considering the background), to red (not a very natural color), to black (my idea of a mean wasp).
The flowers were put in the lower left side to kind of give some balance to the composition.
There were other reasons involved in these decisions, but it would be long to explain them now.